home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

nutrition & diet
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Which diet plan do you follow?  Actions...
Posted: by Chatelaine_Team on Mon. 6 Dec., 2010 at 11:10:27 AM
How many diet plans have you tried?  Which works best for you?

Chatelaine_Team
   Reply  Top
I've tried many....  Actions...
Posted: by _Cori_ on Mon. 3 Jan., 2011 at 4:20:27 PM
In reply to: Chatelaine_Team "Which diet plan do you follow?"
I've done everything from calorie-counting diets from my doctor to Weight Watchers, Nutri-System, various portion-control diets and adopting a low-carb, lifestyle change approach that I followed for 7-1/2 years. It ultimately failed for me, but mostly because I went through a huge period of stress in my life and started binge eating.

I lost 100 lbs last year by going to a 12-Step program for Food Addicts (www.foodaddicts.org) which is working extremely well for me. I haven't felt hungry and am really enjoying all the new foods I'm trying (quinoa is a new favourite). The true test will be when I get to maintenance, but my hope lies in seeing many, many people in the meetings who have lost all their weight and kept it off for years. The support system and incentive to keep eating "abstinently" are amazing motivators – something that was missing from every other program I tried. The support was there in those programs in theory, but in this program it really is put into action in a very effective way.

I have about 30 lbs left to lose to reach my goal, and I know that if I just keep going back to the meetings and calling my sponsor, I WILL reach goal and I WILL keep the weight off.

_Cori_
   Reply  Top
It's now 10 months later...  Actions...
Posted: by Cori on Mon. 17 Oct., 2011 at 4:02:36 PM
In reply to: _Cori_ "I've tried many...."
...since I posted this. Just popping in to say I'm still doing GREAT on the FA program. I'm just a few pounds away from my goal weight, though I could just as easily stop now since I've just crossed into "normal" BMI. The weight comes off very slowly when  you get closer to goal, but it still comes off. And I KNOW now that I have the tools I need to keep it off forever; I just have to choose to keep using them, which I WILL! The support and encouragement are amazing!

This program, in my opinion, is the ONLY successful way to lose weight and keep it off. I don't know anyone who has struggled with their weight for many years and then managed to lose it and keep it off through ANY of the other programs out there. The only people I know who've kept their weight off in Weight Watchers are the ones who gained a bit once in their lives, and never did the yo-yo dieting thing over many years. I think everyone has one chance to lose weight and keep it off when they first get heavy, but if they start yo-yo dieting and gaining and losing the same pounds (plus more each time, usually), they cross a line into eating disorder territory. After that, the only thing I've seen work successfully is this FA program (www.foodaddicts.org). The best part is there are absolutely no dues or fees for the program, and no expensive special food to buy. It can be 100% free, though most contribute a couple of bucks at every meeting toward rent for the room, and other costs.

My only regret is that I didn't find this program sooner, before I got so heavy that I now have all this extra skin in my abdomen (and a few other places) that won't ever go away except by surgery. My greatest wish for every person struggling with obesity is that they would find their way to FA – and find it soon!

Cori
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »