home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

work
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
accommodations for disabilities  Actions...
Posted: by Tumbleweed on Mon. 2 Apr., 2012 at 12:18:59 AM
I'm trying to get a better handle on what accommodations a workplace must make for someone with a disability.

I've been off on medical leave for a year. My doctors believe I won't be able to ever work full-time again, but they are hopeful I could work part-time. However, I would be unable to perform my existing job.  Is my employer under any obligation to find a job I could do?

I've done some google searches & the results seem to be mixed on this point and I'm not sure who to ask.

Tumbleweed
   Reply  Top
Yes, they should try  Actions...
Posted: by Mary... on Mon. 2 Apr., 2012 at 9:29:34 AM
In reply to: Tumbleweed "accommodations for disabilities"

It falls under the Human Rights Code, Duty to Accomodate. Feel free to call your local office with questions, and I'm sure they have a website too. Just google "human rights" and your province and I'm sure you'll find information. Employers have to make an effort to accomodate individuals with disabilities. It's possible that they may not be able to, but they need to go through a significant process of trying and looking at part time work, different role, modified duties or bundled tasks is not unreasonable. I would encourage you to contact the human rights office for more information, employers are not expected to create unproductive jobs, but the burden is quite high for employers to make efforts to accomodate.

I'm glad that you are to the point where you are able to return to work!

Mary...
   Reply  Top
actually I'm not yet returning  Actions...
Posted: by Tumbleweed on Mon. 2 Apr., 2012 at 1:09:36 PM
In reply to: Mary... "Yes, they should try"
I wish that were the case. Sorry to be a bit mysterious, just don't feel comfortable getting into an explanation on this.

Thanks for the reply.

Tumbleweed
edited Mon. 2 Apr., 2012 @ 1:09:50 PM by Tumbleweed
edited Mon. 2 Apr., 2012 @ 1:09:50 PM by Tumbleweed
edited Mon. 2 Apr., 2012 @ 1:10:19 PM by Tumbleweed

Reply  Top
My experience  Actions...
Posted: by itsmeagain on Tue. 17 Apr., 2012 at 9:27:20 AM
In reply to: Tumbleweed "accommodations for disabilities"

I have worked in a couple of places where people attempted to return from a disability, in three of the cases the employee was laid off and given a severance package and in the forth case the employer was not accomodating and the employee was terminated with no severance shortly after returning.  Employers can be jerks.

If you are currently on long term disability you might want to consult with your benefits provider.  I am sure you have already considered it but being on long term disability may be better than attempting to returning to work, you can always volunteer (didn't mean to sound glib).

Please forgive the typos . . . spell check doesn't seem to work for me!

itsmeagain
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »