home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

technology
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Downloading Music  Actions...
Posted: by charincalg on Mon. 18 Jun., 2012 at 10:47:40 AM
Does anyone know of a great site that is easy to use and offers free downloads for music?

Thanks!

charincalg
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by Artemis on Mon. 18 Jun., 2012 at 1:43:30 PM
In reply to: charincalg "Downloading Music"

It depends rather on what kind of music you're hoping to download. BeeMP3 is one that's good for more mainstream or popular music. Their availability on more obscure tracks is limited. But it's extremely quick and easy to use, and you can download right from the site without any additional plug-ins required.

For more selection there are various Torrent options, but that gets more complicated. Not only do you need to install an additional program like uTorrent, it's just about impossible to get a single track -- Torrents tend to be whole albums, or whole libraries. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it is more complicated and can gobble up resources on a slower computer.

“I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. It's impossible to put down.”

Artemis
   Reply  Top
I use.....  Actions...
Posted: by Aggie on Mon. 18 Jun., 2012 at 5:50:15 PM
In reply to: charincalg "Downloading Music"

I use MP3skull and like it a lot. No additional toolbar and I can listen before I decide to save. I even have MP3skull on my android tablet.

http://mp3skull.com/

Simply enter a search and then you can either play or save it. Instruction are on the right hand side after you enter a song search  I save to my computer and then to an SD or usb and then use a neat little FM transmitter gadget ($10 at XScargo) to play in the car. 

Aggie
edited Mon. 18 Jun., 2012 @ 6:05:50 PM by Aggie

Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by Artemis on Mon. 18 Jun., 2012 at 6:30:14 PM
In reply to: Aggie "I use....."

Aggie, how many frequency options does your transmitter have? I have one that I got at Cdn Tire a couple of years ago (it too was $10), and it has 5 frequencies but they're all close together. Since most radio stations have a plus or minus .2, this can cause interferrance with my iPod. I usually only use it in the car when I'm travelling (stick with radio while in town), and there have been a couple of times when I've been stuck with some cruddy radio station for 20-30 km until I get out that particular broadcast range. Especially since, if I'm alone in the car, it isn't really safe to be mucking with the setting on the transmitter while driving 100 kph!

I ended up getting another little gizmo -- a mini dock/speaker that sits in my cupholder and is powered by my cigarette lighter. The sound quality isn't as good as the car stereo though, obviously.

Not that I'm looking at investing a lot more $$ right now -- it will be only a few years before I have to replace this car, and iPod docks are close to a standard feature now in new vehicles.

“I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. It's impossible to put down.”

Artemis
edited Mon. 18 Jun., 2012 @ 6:31:23 PM by Artemis

Reply  Top
Not sure but  Actions...
Posted: by Aggie on Mon. 18 Jun., 2012 at 7:13:53 PM
In reply to: Artemis "..."

I think only one. Mine is set for 87.5 I think and I know there are not any other FM stations near there in our City.It can use an SD or USB. I use a very small Thumb 8GB  USB

This is close to what I have and mine has the nifty  remote like this one. I paid $9.95 a couple of years ago.

FM Trans-XScargo

I use isohunt torrent finder to seearch my musc and then download usigg utorrent.

From this link you can see why I use an 8GB SD or USB. I can download a ton of mixed music (1980's 1990's etc)  all at once.

Isohunt search

Aggie
edited Mon. 18 Jun., 2012 @ 7:22:26 PM by Aggie
edited Tue. 19 Jun., 2012 @ 5:05:12 AM by Aggie

Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »