home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

health
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
age of menopause  Actions...
Posted: by monkeystew on Mon. 18 Jun., 2012 at 6:23:45 PM

My mother passed away much too young so I can't get her input on this, but what is the average age people stop having their periods.  How can you tell if it is nearing that stage, my periods are different from when I was younger, but I am ready for them to be over! 

monkeystew
   Reply  Top
I've read  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Mon. 18 Jun., 2012 at 6:38:59 PM
In reply to: monkeystew "age of menopause"
that the average age is 52. 

I hear you though, I'm ready for them to be over too! I've been in peri-menopause for close to 10 years. 

Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
edited Mon. 18 Jun., 2012 @ 6:41:22 PM by Koda

Reply  Top
all done..  Actions...
Posted: by sue_43 on Tue. 19 Jun., 2012 at 9:23:45 PM
In reply to: Koda "I've read"
thank goodness im all done.  i stopped my period when i turned 52.   same as my mum.

sue_43
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Wed. 20 Jun., 2012 at 2:20:01 PM
It varies.  For some it can end in the late forties and some have even had it happen in the late fifties.  I feared I was going to be one of them.  Mine recently ended and I'm 55, and these changes began roughly when I was about 45.  My mother and aunt both had hysterectomies in their thirties so I had nothing to go by.  As has been stated, it seems the average age is about 52.  Your doctor might be able to give a better idea by taking in account your symptoms and doing blood tests to see where your estrogen/progestrogene (sp.) levels are at.  Other than that, it's a guessing game.

"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"  Dr. Seuss

"Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does."  (unknown)

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."  George S. Patton

The poster formerly known as Writer Mom (stolen from Prince)  

dreamer16
   Reply  Top
end of periods - menopause  Actions...
Posted: by ABmom99 on Wed. 20 Jun., 2012 at 10:11:16 PM
not quite the same thing from what I understand.  Its all hormone related of course.  But what I have heard is periods can end - yet woman still has the other symptoms - ie hot flashes or mood swings or even acne.  Many women have surgical procedures - whether its a hysterectomy, an ablation or ? to end the 'period' aspect, but ovaries remain for hormone production.  I was visiting a friend yesterday - who has been having the hot flashes since she was 45... and she's nearly 60. Doctor can as others have said above do some blood work to check out hormones & that will give an indication about where you may be in terms of menopause.

ABmom99
   Reply  Top
That sounds like me  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Thu. 21 Jun., 2012 at 12:02:30 AM
In reply to: ABmom99 "end of periods - menopause"
I had a partial hysterectomy when I was 38 for fibroids.  I started hot flashes about 48 and they haven't quit.  I get the zits occasionally still too and I'm 59.

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
Fully post-menopausal at 47  Actions...
Posted: by Skater1 on Sat. 23 Jun., 2012 at 4:17:42 AM

I did not have another menstrual period after that age.  However, I still get got flashes and pms to this day 8 years later sometimes. None of it is as severe as when the hormones were fully in gear, but it still discouragiing sometimes. 

I really do feel for he ladies who only wish they are where I am now though.

Skater1
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »