home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

pets
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
my cat has a weepy eye  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Thu. 5 Jul., 2012 at 1:21:31 PM

I don't see any evidence of injury or redness nor does she seem irritated by this.  She is fastidious about her grooming so this weepy eye is unusual.

Are polysporin eye drops effective and/or safe to use on a cat?

I'm looking for an easy remedy I can do at home in order to avoid a possible vet bill.  Of course I will take my cat in if the eye gets worse.

When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. ― Bob Dylan

The poster formerly known as plexy (stolen from Jack Johnson)  and before that known as sexyplexy (nickname just for fun!)  ;)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
quickly googled it  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Thu. 5 Jul., 2012 at 2:49:02 PM
In reply to: a.doll "my cat has a weepy eye"
It is ok to use polysporin on cats (body cream and eye drops). 

If it is not better in 1 week, then it is best to goto your veterinarian. 

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
thanks green_sleeves  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Thu. 5 Jul., 2012 at 3:05:19 PM
In reply to: green_sleeves "quickly googled it"

I suppose I could have googled this myself!  Grin

I hope to hear from someone here who has used polysporin drops on their cat with successful results.

I imagine if I do this I will only get one chance to administer the drops because once she catches on there will be no way!  Warning

When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. ― Bob Dylan

The poster formerly known as plexy (stolen from Jack Johnson)  and before that known as sexyplexy (nickname just for fun!)  ;)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
I got this info  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Thu. 5 Jul., 2012 at 9:35:22 PM
In reply to: a.doll "thanks green_sleeves"
from a vet site online- they use a lot of the same meds for humans on pets. ( I've used them before (upon a vet's recommendation) when one of my cats had a gunky eye.)
I'd never recommend using anything on a pet unless it was safe! You can do this- one wraps agitated cat in a blanket and kitty lock them between your legs so it has no where to go.Grin 
Putting the drops in one time is not going to do anything. They need to be administered at least 2 x a day for a week to kill off the infection.
Or call your pet store and see if they carry this over the counter antibiotic. (it works the same- just having ;for pets' on the label ups the cost many times.
If you don't want to try the polysporin. If in doubt a quick call to a new vet (tell them you have a feral cat with an eye infection and if you'd harm the cat by using what you have in your medicine chest. 
Your cat isn't feeling well so go ahead and get this started.

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
edited Thu. 5 Jul., 2012 @ 9:41:35 PM by green_sleeves

Reply  Top
poor little thing...  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Fri. 6 Jul., 2012 at 12:30:08 AM
In reply to: green_sleeves "I got this info"

so, okay!  I will get this done!  (she bravely wraps her kitty in a towel and kitty locks her between her knees) Drops administered and kitty treats given.  My cat it smart.  She knows she'll get a few drops of evaporated milk every morning when we have our coffee and 6 kitty treats when we have our wine in the evening.  She's a fast learner.  Perhaps she'll associate treats with eye drops???

Thanks g_sl!

a.doll
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »