home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

food & recipes
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Marshmellow Fondant and cake tips  Actions...
Posted: by Simply_Trying on Mon. 16 Jul., 2012 at 9:22:33 AM

I`ve made one cake before , using a Marshmellow Fondant and it turn out pretty good.

I want to attemp making a similar cake as the one pictured below  for Mother-in-Law`s 85th Birthday Get Together . DH is on board that it would be a great cake to make since she has pick up the habit of hitting me (punches on the arm) since her husband passed away 3 years ago.   We often tell her that we will be buying her boxing gloves.

I`m pretty confidant I can make something similar but would appreciate any tips.

I have also found a tip on the web that involves spraying the cake with Pam Butter Flavour Spray to have it turn shiny...Anyone used that method before? Undecided

I think the shine would really make the cake so any ideas beside adding the sparkle sugar sold for such purpose.   On the Cake Boss , They lightly steam the finished cake , I don`t think I want to use my house steamer for such purpose Sick

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau

Simply_Trying
edited Mon. 16 Jul., 2012 @ 9:24:13 AM by Simply_Trying

Reply  Top
wonder  Actions...
Posted: by Nanny G on Mon. 16 Jul., 2012 at 12:46:32 PM
In reply to: Simply_Trying "Marshmellow Fondant and cake tips"
if gelatine or egg whites would also work..steaming would scare me.

Nanny G
   Reply  Top
I know that  Actions...
Posted: by Simply_Trying on Mon. 16 Jul., 2012 at 6:15:04 PM
In reply to: Nanny G "wonder"

if you "paint" on the fondant, you mix the food dye with alcool such as Vodka so that it evaporates and does not saturate the fondant...

Would egg white be safe  ? 

I know that the marshmellow fondant is not that expensive to make so I guest I could make some and play around with it to see what works.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau

Simply_Trying
   Reply  Top
You are right  Actions...
Posted: by Nanny G on Mon. 16 Jul., 2012 at 8:42:01 PM
In reply to: Simply_Trying "I know that"
egg whites may not be good for people allergic to eggs.

Nanny G
   Reply  Top
That would  Actions...
Posted: by Simply_Trying on Mon. 16 Jul., 2012 at 9:41:18 PM
In reply to: Nanny G "You are right"
not be my concern as no one is allergic to eggs in this group and there will be eggs in the cake anyway...I was wondering about the uncooked egg ?

Henry David Thoreau

Simply_Trying
   Reply  Top
easy fix  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Tue. 17 Jul., 2012 at 12:49:57 AM
In reply to: Simply_Trying "That would"
use pasteurized egg whites- They are 100% safe.
I am sure you'd find something to do with the remainder of the container. The link has suggestions on how to use the whites. They are sold in the fresh egg section in supermarkets.

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
Have egg whites only  Actions...
Posted: by Simply_Trying on Tue. 17 Jul., 2012 at 10:37:39 AM
In reply to: green_sleeves "easy fix"
carton in fridge , will have a look if they say Pasteurized . Thanks for the tip Grin

Henry David Thoreau

Simply_Trying
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Mon. 16 Jul., 2012 at 10:30:28 PM
In reply to: Simply_Trying "Marshmellow Fondant and cake tips"
I'm not too familiar with marshmallow fondant but assume that it's similar to regular fondant.  

Likely the idea behind steaming the fondant is to increase the moisture in this and make this a tiny bit wetter or moister, which would make it appear shinier.  Make sense?  So I'm thinking that either the Pam (the butter flavoured would be 'greasier' in appearance than the regular Pam), or just simply adding a tiny bit of shortening to the fondant and then kneading it in (along with any food colouring), that is, if this type of fondant is kneaded for a few seconds before rolling out, would give this same effect.  But, I'd try this on a very small piece before you do the entire thing just to be certain, no matter which method you do decide to go with.  ;-)

Best of luck with this, and I love your idea!

"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"  Dr. Seuss

"Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does."  (unknown)

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."  George S. Patton

The poster formerly known as Writer Mom (stolen from Prince)  

dreamer16
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »