home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

food & recipes
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Speaking of cheater recipes . .  Actions...
Posted: by catsknit on Tue. 17 Jul., 2012 at 2:18:43 PM

As we were in the Big Mac thread:

Does anyone have a cheater Starbucks marble cake recipe that is T&T?   Or a good marble cake recipe that I can possibly make in a loaf pan? 

I need to explain.  Earlier this month we were in DC (in the 106F heat wave Sick ) and then NYC.  In the quest for decent tea, I became a Starbucks devotee, and my children embraced the "Coffee Cake Loaf" which I am calling the marble cake, see above.  On our return we went into Starbucks to recreate the experience (BIG mistake, lol).  They don't even carry the cake in question, it seems (although we were in a Chapters/Starbucks--maybe the standalone ones do). 

There are plenty of recipes online of course.  The Starbucks one I found calls for lemon and I the one we were eating was golden /chocolate.  I am looking to make this with my boys helping, so I want it simple.  I have toyed with the idea of a golden cake mix/ chocolate cake mix and make two--that would be the simple route!

TIA for any suggestions!

Rule Britannia!  Britannia Rules the Waves . . . . .

catsknit
   Reply  Top
guessing here  Actions...
Posted: by ABmom99 on Tue. 17 Jul., 2012 at 2:41:01 PM
In reply to: catsknit "Speaking of cheater recipes . ."
since I'm not really familiar with the cake you had. I often find the usual cake mixes pretty light/fluffy (if that makes sense).  I'm guessing the one you had was heavier - maybe try a 'pound cake' kind of recipe or mix?  Add your own lemon rind or juice? or a lemon pudding (mix, not made) into the recipe? If its marble, take out a portion of the batter (gold/lemon), add melted dark chocolate, then gently stir into the full mix leaving it 'marbled' so you can see both chocolate & gold.

ABmom99
   Reply  Top
You are absolutely right!  Actions...
Posted: by catsknit on Tue. 17 Jul., 2012 at 2:47:40 PM
In reply to: ABmom99 "guessing here"
I had forgotten that bit--it was a pound cake!   I will do a bit more searching using that criteria.  Thanks!

catsknit
   Reply  Top
.....  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Tue. 17 Jul., 2012 at 3:45:41 PM
In reply to: catsknit "Speaking of cheater recipes . ."
LOL- you would have found a copycat recipe if you went to my link in the Big Mac thread. Out of curiosity I searched and found a Starbucks Coffee/Marble cake.  This site is very good and a recipe posted there is exactly as the first link- most copycat recipes are for this pound cake.
 I would not know how close this is since I've never bought baked goods at Starbucks. If it is more pound cakey you could start with a plain pound cake mix and add the chocolate & lemon.Grin
Using a mix as a starting point is a lot less fuss and plenty less expensive than making a pound cake from scratch. 

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
Hey Green_sleeves!  Actions...
Posted: by catsknit on Tue. 17 Jul., 2012 at 4:35:34 PM
In reply to: green_sleeves "....."

I did try to go to the copycat site you linked to--I waited forever and it just did not load!!  That is the kind of site that might have what I seek--perhaps I will try it on a different computer later.  My laptop is behaving strangely at the moment Roll of the eyes

The recipe you linked to is one I have looked at.  However, they make it in a tube pan, and the Starbucks one is a loaf pan shape.  So I am immediately suspicious Laugh  Also, I don't think the Starbucks one has lemon in it--I think it is simply golden cake, if you KWIM. 

As you say, starting with two cake mixes is a cheap and simple first try.  If I get the single mixes in the flat package, not the box, it will make a single layer, I think (ie boxes make two layers, 24 cupcakes, etc) so I can get two of those. 

I have always liked marble cake myself so it is funny that the kids like it too.  Apparently they have had it at camp too, so now I know it is probably the marble bit they like, not just the pound /loaf bit.  I have never made a pound cake, and never made a marble cake but I guess it is time to get out of my rut of my usual cakes (applesauce spice cake is the family fave) and try something new. 

Thanks for you help!

catsknit
   Reply  Top
from those two 'copycat' recipes  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Tue. 17 Jul., 2012 at 7:08:19 PM
In reply to: catsknit "Hey Green_sleeves!"
they both are pound cakes and yes, both are baked in a tube/bundt pan but it is easy to pour the batter into a loaf pan if that is the shape you want. 
Had a thought-wave....when one cuts a tube shaped cake it does look 'loafy' KWIM? 
This couple has created a very similar pound cake recipe baked in a tube pan and the stacks of cake look like it was cut from a loaf. Since pound cakes call for so many eggs I still think a pound cake loaf mix is going to be much easier and less expensive to make. Using a regular cake mix will not give the denser texture of the real McCoy.
Or super cheat and get a Duncan Hines Fudge Marble Pound Cake and add some grated lemon (I bet orange would be lovely). You can beef up the chocolate part if after tasting it needs more cocoa powder or a square of melted semi sweet baking chocolate.
Try googling 'copycat recipes' and see if that works faster than my linky.Grin

See^^^- these slices look like they came out of loaf pan but were baked in a tube pan. It's an illusion. Grin

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
You are right--they do look like they came from a loaf pan!  Actions...
Posted: by catsknit on Tue. 17 Jul., 2012 at 7:34:19 PM
In reply to: green_sleeves "from those two 'copycat' recipes"

Every time I have used my tube pan, the slices looked like a wedge, not a slice, if that makes sense.  And to be honest, the kids probably don't care, lol. 

I hit the local grocery store today and got a $1.66 golden cake mix (Dr Oetker) and  I will add cocoa powder to half the mix.  It calls for 3 eggs and some oil so it it not costing much Wink.  I did look at the marble cake mix (Duncan Hines?  Not sure) and decided against it--just bought the sale priced one.  I also looked at golden mix + chocolate (Devils Food?) and decided I did NOT need two 9x 13 cakes in the house, lol. 

Thanks for all the suggestions!

catsknit
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »