home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

food & recipes
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Yogurt in cake recipes  Actions...
Posted: by Fanster on Fri. 20 Jul., 2012 at 10:55:16 AM

Last night I made an easy Zucchini cake recipe from Food and Wine website.

It called for 1/2 cup of yogurt.  I let it bake for the alloted time and checked it with a knife, and the knife was clean so cake is done.  After cooling and slicing, I notice that its not nice and dry but looks too moist inside.  This isn't the first time this has happened to me.  Although I know the yogurt makes it moist, but it should be dry.

When you eat it, it doesn't look cooked.  Real soggy.

Does anyone have this problem when baking with yogurt. I've made other recipes using yogurt and the result seems the same. 

Fanster
   Reply  Top
Nope, not at all  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Fri. 20 Jul., 2012 at 12:36:20 PM
In reply to: Fanster "Yogurt in cake recipes"
I've got several cake recipes that use yogurt - most notably a blueberry yogurt pound  cake - and I've never had this problem at all.

Marsha
   Reply  Top
I think it was underbaked  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Fri. 20 Jul., 2012 at 1:24:34 PM

Could be your oven temperature?

Yogurt is excellent in baking as is sour milk.

Was your zucchini extremely drained?  I will grate my zucchini and then squeeze it in a thick layer of paper towel or cheesecloth first.

When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. ― Bob Dylan

The poster formerly known as plexy (stolen from Jack Johnson)  and before that known as sexyplexy (nickname just for fun!)  ;)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
I recently made  Actions...
Posted: by Freebird2 on Fri. 20 Jul., 2012 at 2:00:32 PM

a muffin recipe that uses yogurt and I didn't have a problem. However, if memory serves, it did take longer than what the recipe called for. It’s possible that the difference can be the temperature of our refrigerators.

Freebird2
   Reply  Top
Happens to me  Actions...
Posted: by Lemoncello on Fri. 20 Jul., 2012 at 10:57:43 PM
Sadly this happens to me but its not the yogurt.  I am not sure if its the convection or the temp of my oven (repair guy blames the convection but not sure I do) .  I now make small loaves and avoid this problem.  A large dense cake never works out for me, the centre is raw.

Lemoncello
   Reply  Top
If you turn off the convection, do you still have this problem?  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Sat. 21 Jul., 2012 at 8:14:21 AM
In reply to: Lemoncello "Happens to me"
Lemoncello, if you turn off the convection feature, do you still have this problem? I know convection shouldn't be used for certain items (apparently things like angel food cakes) but if it's turned off is your baking okay?

Sometimes, it can have to do with the type of pan used - glass vs metal vs disposable foil.  I wonder if that could be an issue and, as you say, oven temp (at school, we frequently use separate oven thermometers to check the oven temps and the students this year learned that in one of the kitchens, they had to set the oven 25 degrees higher and in another, 25 degrees lower than the recipes called for.

Marsha
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »