home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

food & recipes
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Tonight's Dinner  Actions...
Posted: by Freebird2 on Sun. 22 Jul., 2012 at 4:18:49 PM

I just put this recipe into the oven for tonight's dinner, so I hope it tastes good. It’s a new recipe to me.

They were not kidding when they said it’s easy. It took me about 10 minutes to pull it all together.   

The link has a nice picture of the lasagna. 

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/03/my-favorite-lasagna.html

Easy Vegan Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna

Ingredients

·       1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced

·       1 tsp. chopped garlic

·       2 tbsp. water

·       2 24-oz jars of spaghetti sauce (or your favorite pasta sauce)

·       9 lasagna noodles (regular lasagna noodles, uncooked)

·       Soy Parmesan (optional)

·       Sliced black olives (optional)

Filling:

·       10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained

·       1 lb tofu (firm, reduced-fat recommended–not silken!)

·       1 tsp. salt (optional)

·       2 tbsp. nutritional yeast (adds a cheesy taste)

·       1 1/2 tsp. oregano

·       1/2 tsp. garlic powder

·       1 tsp. basil

·       1/2 tsp. rosemary, crushed

·       1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

Instructions

1.    Sauté the mushrooms and garlic over medium heat in the 2 tbsp. water until tender; cover between stirring to keep them from drying out. Remove from heat and add the spaghetti sauce.

2.    Place the tofu and thawed spinach in the food processor and process briefly. Add the remaining filling ingredients to the processor and blend until smooth. (You may do this without a food processor by using a potato masher on the tofu.)

3.    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

4.    Spread half of the sauce in the bottom of a 9×12-inch pan. Place a layer of noodles over the sauce, using three dry noodles and leaving a little space in between them. Spread half of the tofu mixture on the noodles (I drop it by spoonfuls and then spread it). Cover with another layer of 3 noodles and then spread the remaining tofu mixture over them. Top with a final layer of noodles, and pour the remaining sauce over this. Cover the dish tightly with foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Then, remove the foil and bake for another 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with soy Parmesan and sliced black olives if you want. The lasagna will cut better if you allow it to cool for 15 minutes before serving.

Cooking time (duration): 1 hour 15 minutes

Number of servings (yield): 9

Freebird2
   Reply  Top
this recipe  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Sun. 22 Jul., 2012 at 4:25:01 PM
In reply to: Freebird2 "Tonight's Dinner"
looked good until I saw Tofu, oh well, let us know how it turns out.

Since it's my birthday tomorrow we're taking the family out to dinner tonight, not sure what I will be having yet. I may have a Bellini just because Wink.
Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
   Reply  Top
The recipe is  Actions...
Posted: by Freebird2 on Sun. 22 Jul., 2012 at 6:52:20 PM
In reply to: Koda "this recipe"

a keeper! The filling is very good. 

I used med/firm tofu and did add the olives. I didn't add the cheese but think that the nutritional yeast did give the lasagna a little cheesy taste. 

I just love an easy and tasty recipe.

Enjoy your birthday feast.   

Freebird2
   Reply  Top
hmm  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Mon. 23 Jul., 2012 at 12:12:21 AM
In reply to: Freebird2 "The recipe is"
I may give it a try then. 

Thanks, Seafood Fettuccine for me, yummy! 

Koda
   Reply  Top
The tofu could probably pass for ricotta  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Sun. 22 Jul., 2012 at 7:02:50 PM
In reply to: Koda "this recipe"
especially since it's mixed with the spinach and then with the sauce and all, I bet you wouldn't know it was tofu unless you "knew" it was tofu!  But that seems like an awful lot of sauce - 2 2 jars?  I guess because the noodles aren't cooked, it needs all that liquid for them to soften.

Marsha
   Reply  Top
Yes,  Actions...
Posted: by Freebird2 on Sun. 22 Jul., 2012 at 7:21:51 PM
In reply to: Marsha "The tofu could probably pass for ricotta"

the filling did taste just like ricotta.

A lot of the sauce must have gone to the noodles because the lasagna wasn't mushy or runny (The recipe does call for regular noodles and not oven-ready noodles.) It is a very yummy recipe, and I just loved the ease of it. 

Freebird2
   Reply  Top
Cheap dinner here  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Sun. 22 Jul., 2012 at 10:00:57 PM
DH and I had a hot busy day outside so we had wieners and beans for supper and then drove to our local campground that has a little cafe and had a huge ice cream cone.  I had maple walnut.  Nice treat to end the day.

Happy Birthday on Monday Koda!

flowerpot
edited Sun. 22 Jul., 2012 @ 10:02:13 PM by flowerpot

Reply  Top
Thank You  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Mon. 23 Jul., 2012 at 12:11:08 AM
In reply to: flowerpot "Cheap dinner here"
I enjoyed a yummy dinner at Milestones with my family, I had White Chocolate Cheesecake for dessert (shared).

Koda
   Reply  Top
I made minestrone soup  Actions...
Posted: by catsknit on Sun. 22 Jul., 2012 at 10:21:49 PM

Its a BIGGGG pot!   DH raised his eyebrows so high they disappeared under his hat, lol. 

I never make soup /stews in the summer--they are our winter staples.  However, I started following the WW diet a week ago (3 lbs down, yay!) and DH is starting tomorrow.  A good veggie soup is the perfect filler because it is just about 'free' in points.

We had salmon in the fridge ready to cook as well, so we had lovely salmon, with salad and a few baby potatoes after a small (very small, for me!) bowl of soup.  The rest of it is cooling now to be frozen in single serving portions, to be thawed  / reheated  /  eaten as needed over the next few days /weeks. 

I have enough veggies ready to make another batch so if it cools off.  Tomorrow we are looking at 34C so I will not be making soup!

Rule Britannia!  Britannia Rules the Waves . . . . .

catsknit
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »