home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

food & recipes
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Goodies from England help.....  Actions...
Posted: by Lemoncello on Wed. 18 Jul., 2012 at 5:55:48 PM
We have a relative coming from England and he has asked what I want him to bring me.  I said Maynards wine gums and Galaxy chocolate but there must be some unique food items we can't get here.  Any shopping list ideas I could ask for?

Thanks

Lemoncello
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by Artemis on Wed. 18 Jul., 2012 at 6:53:46 PM
In reply to: Lemoncello "Goodies from England help....."

My personal favourites:

~ bitter lemon (some brands are available in plastic bottles now so easier to transport)
~ M&S brand of "Jaffa" dark chocolate cakes -- Jaffa is actually a brand, but M&S's variety is the same idea, except they're rectangular instead of round
~ M&S Taw Valley Cheddar and Shallots crisps (great, you've got me craving those now!)
~ Jacob's Club biscuits, esp. the Orange and Currant varieties
~ Kendal Mint Cake

Maynard's are relatively easy to find here now I think.

“I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. It's impossible to put down.”

Artemis
edited Wed. 18 Jul., 2012 @ 6:55:28 PM by Artemis

Reply  Top
UK food  Actions...
Posted: by rusel on Wed. 18 Jul., 2012 at 7:59:19 PM
You can get Maynards wine gums here, including the large bag from Costco!  We've been to the UK a few times, and my kids like Horlicks and Ovaltine, both the stuff to mix for a drink and the tablets; I'm sure you can buy that here too, especially Ovaltine which I regularly see. There's some good chocolate there, better than Galaxy which I'm pretty sure is a Mars product, but hey - if you like it, then it's an easy gift for your relative to bring.  Even saying you like 'chocolate', he could bring something like Bendicks which is a better quality chocolate and a popular gift from the UK.  They have awesome cheese there and so inexpensive compared to good cheese here, but can be tricky to bring over, though we've done so.  We don't eat chips/crisps and stuff like that, but people who do, seem to like the UK ones, though they'd take a bit of room to pack I'd think, to make sure they don't squish!  Oh, and some people like Marmite, but again, you can get that here now, and same with Lemoncurd, which I recall is horribly sweet, but like Marmalade, very 'British', and I'm sure there are better makes that are not so sweet.  Might be easy gifts for him to bring over, if you like them  - your name made me think of Lemoncurd! (:. 

rusel
edited Wed. 18 Jul., 2012 @ 8:01:14 PM by rusel
edited Wed. 18 Jul., 2012 @ 8:03:15 PM by rusel

Reply  Top
Not familiar with England goodies  Actions...
Posted: by cayer on Wed. 18 Jul., 2012 at 8:03:49 PM
But on a recent cruise, one of our English dinner mates requested English Mustard.  The Chef  made up a batch for her to have with the Prime Rib and DH tasted it and said it was quite strong and different from mustards he's had in the past (he is not by any means a mustard connaisseur and I dislike mustard so did not try it myself).  This would tempt me in asking for real English Mustard.  Of course, maybe you can get some here and I just don't know it (Marks and Spencer probably would have carried it).

cayer
   Reply  Top
Harrods Food Halls  Actions...
Posted: by Nanny G on Wed. 18 Jul., 2012 at 8:30:47 PM
In reply to: cayer "Not familiar with England goodies"
has the best shopping bags, mine is 10 years old and still very sturdy. Harrods have a great lemon and lime body mist on the first floor ...to die for ...and goes all day long. And of course Tea if you are into this sort of stuff. You know when you walk in London or take the tube women all smell like lemon and I love it. My favorite scent. I took 2 grands last year and we ate our way all over London..Tell her you want surprises.

Nanny G
edited Thu. 19 Jul., 2012 @ 10:28:45 PM by Nanny G

Reply  Top
mustard  Actions...
Posted: by rusel on Thu. 19 Jul., 2012 at 1:13:09 PM
In reply to: cayer "Not familiar with England goodies"
I always understood English mustard to be stronger than French or French-style mustard. I think the French-style has added vinegar which makes it milder.   I imagine you can buy English here, just like you can obviously get the more popular French mustard.  In England they usually serve horseradish sauce with roast beef/prime rib.

rusel
edited Thu. 19 Jul., 2012 @ 1:13:44 PM by rusel

Reply  Top
How about this site for some ideas?  Actions...
Posted: by MsGinny on Wed. 18 Jul., 2012 at 10:34:51 PM

http://thebritishshoppe.com/

Just droolling looking at it!

MsGinny
   Reply  Top
My favourites  Actions...
Posted: by catsknit on Thu. 19 Jul., 2012 at 5:18:49 PM

I am a chocoholic  and a tea-drinker so it is easy for me to ask for things.  We used to get all our tea brought over (specifically Tetley Decaff).  When I compared the decaff tea here, there was significantly fewer tea leaves per bag than the English tea bags and the tea was correspondingly weak and tasteless.  (I switched back to regular in the long run!)

Smarties are much tastier in the UK--the orange ones are the best! 

I also like dark chocolate-covered digestives, or Hobnobs (an oaty cookie that are available with chocolate coating).  Rich tea biscuits are very nice--we buy them here at a British store to dunk in our tea.

If I were offered this, I would probably first say an English kettle (they boil faster, but you have to have the right receptacle /wiring), Denby china (my Imperial blue teapot is so cracked from years of use that I stopped using it),  stacks and stacks of  Smarties and dark choc Hobnobs. 

Rule Britannia!  Britannia Rules the Waves . . . . .

catsknit
   Reply  Top
British Kettles  Actions...
Posted: by frenchroast on Thu. 19 Jul., 2012 at 6:44:04 PM
In reply to: catsknit "My favourites"
We have a Russell Hobbs kettle. They're a big British company well known for kettles, although they make other small appliances.  They sell them all over the world, including in Canada.  Forget where we bought ours, but they are in several stores, and I agree it boils super quickly.  The new ones have extra features for different stop points, so if you want water before it boils, then it will stop before the boiling point, which would be good for making coffee (I always have to watch and catch it before it boils).  Great kettles. 

frenchroast
edited Thu. 19 Jul., 2012 @ 6:47:33 PM by frenchroast

Reply  Top
That's right--I had forgotten that Russell Hobbs was here  Actions...
Posted: by catsknit on Thu. 19 Jul., 2012 at 10:18:15 PM
In reply to: frenchroast "British Kettles"

That is interesting about the different stop points.   I had no idea!

I have purchased only one kettle in Canada in the past ten years and that was for travelling.  (Then we melted the base of it in a rented cottage--oops!)  The rest of them have been British imports--that is what I meant.  We have a single receptacle for it and we can only use it on that one receptacle, if you KWIM because the plug is different and the wiring is different (higher--that helps with the speed of boiling too but might cost more in electricity!)   That is what I meant by bringing a kettle over.  Not for everyone, but works for us. 

I've said to DH that we should get a new Cdn kettle so I will look at the Russell Hobbs ones.  Thanks for the recommendation! 

catsknit
   Reply  Top
We got our Russell Hobbs kettle at Costco  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Fri. 20 Jul., 2012 at 5:59:56 AM
In reply to: catsknit "That's right--I had forgotten that Russell Hobbs was here"
I don't know if they still carry them but we got ours at Costco maybe a year ago.  I don't like it nearly as much as I liked out previous Cuisinart one because you can't get inside to clean it properly. With the Cuisinart one, the lid opened wide enough that you could get inside to clean it out manually but the lid on this new one only opens "so far" and even with my small hands, I can't get inside to clean it. The coffee maker cleaner we have says NOT to use on stainless steel kettles; I don't know if vinegar is safe or not (I need to find the manual to see what that says about cleaning it)

Marsha
   Reply  Top
Hobnobs  Actions...
Posted: by Artemis on Thu. 19 Jul., 2012 at 7:04:49 PM
In reply to: catsknit "My favourites"

You can buy Hobnobs here now, Catsknit, both milk and dark varieties. I just had a couple for lunch today as a matter of fact.

I buy them when they go on sale at London Drugs, but I've seen them at Superstore too.

Artemis
   Reply  Top
Really????  Actions...
Posted: by catsknit on Thu. 19 Jul., 2012 at 10:03:30 PM
In reply to: Artemis "Hobnobs"

I will keep my eyes peeled in RCSS!  I haven't been in for a couple of months--I wonder if I can get them?   That would be great!

Otherwise I will just pop out to the west coast and stock up Laugh.  I find the name London Drugs intriguing and I would be more than happy to experience it!

I can get choc covered digestives in Loblaws--their own brand, I think.  They feel expensive, if you KWIM.  Still prefer McVities but beggars can't be choosers!

catsknit
   Reply  Top
Thank you all for the great ideas  Actions...
Posted: by Lemoncello on Fri. 20 Jul., 2012 at 12:28:03 AM
In reply to: catsknit "Really????"
The lemon/lime mist sounds very interesting especially in this heat.  You have all given me some great ideas.  Although we have Maynards here, he sent me a picture of Maynard sports wine gums in a white package Pig and I will definitely ask for cheese.  I got a great tip from someone here a few years back about an English cheese at Costco and it was to die for...........then they stopped carrying it?

Lemoncello
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by Artemis on Fri. 20 Jul., 2012 at 4:10:41 PM

I rarely shop at Superstore any more, but I remember their NoName (yellow package) dark chocolate digestives being really good, possibly, dare I say it, better than McVities.

I just fished the wraper from the Hobnobs out of the garbage, and it says "Made in the UK, imported by Tree of Life Canada, Mississauga." So if you can't find them at Superstore maybe contact the importer to find out what other retailers they distribute to in your neck of the woods.

(p.s., the UK address is in Ashby-de-la-Zouch. Don't you just love some of those UK place names?)

Artemis
   Reply  Top
Here you go!  Actions...
Posted: by daffodil_ on Fri. 20 Jul., 2012 at 4:52:50 PM
I rarely buy store cookies, but I know I've seen them, so I took a quick look at the mcvities.com website, and they say they're sold at these stores in Canada.  You should be able to find them some place near you!  hth

Sobeys, Loblaws, Metro, Shoppers Drug Mart, Fortino's, Longo's, Price Chopper, London Drugs, Overwaitea

daffodil_
   Reply  Top
Thanks Daffodil!  Actions...
Posted: by catsknit on Sun. 22 Jul., 2012 at 10:59:40 PM
In reply to: daffodil_ "Here you go!"

That was nice of you to look that up for me!

Our local Shoppers Drug Mart doesn`t carry them but I will look in others.  I can try Metro too. Perhaps I have seen them in Loblaws etc in the past--I will look again.  Craving that dark chocolate now, lol. 

I am in Ontario and I am wondering if regional decisions on what will be available in a specific areas mean that McVities are less common here than in other areas (ie more `British` areas). 

catsknit
   Reply  Top
catsknit  Actions...
Posted: by daffodil_ on Mon. 23 Jul., 2012 at 7:06:06 AM
In reply to: catsknit "Thanks Daffodil!"
You're welcome. Google or other search engine makes it very simple.

I think the choice of products is often up to the manager of the store.  Our local supermarket, which is quite small compared to most in the chain, has a huge 'healthy' type section and lots of local food items that are not available in other stores in the same chain.  That's what local customers want, so the manager gets them in.

Just ask at your store, and if they don't have them (good chance they do), they'll probably get them in.

daffodil_
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »