home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

food & recipes
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Coconut Cream Pie Update  Actions...
Posted: by Armagh on Sat. 21 Jul., 2012 at 9:12:23 AM
Well, it's done! I made 6 pies on Thursday night. I used 4 egg whites instead of the 3 called for in the recipe for each meringue. I used icing sugar instead of granulated sugar and I used an extra 2Tbs of icing sugar per recipe. I was very careful to put the meringue on very hot filling and spread to the edges. The meringue deflated slightly while in the fridge but it looked and tasted great. There was no weeping. This will be my go-to method from now on. I was not at the dinner but my daughter said folks thought the pies were delicious. The battery died in our camera so I have no pictures. Thank you all for your helpful advice and links. I sure learned a lot!

Armagh
   Reply  Top
Congratulations!  Actions...
Posted: by jessie111 on Sat. 21 Jul., 2012 at 9:33:38 AM
In reply to: Armagh "Coconut Cream Pie Update"
You must feel (justifiably!) proud of your efforts.  Thanks for sharing information on your results & how you achieved this.  This forum is a wonderful place to get helpful advice on food related questions. 

jessie111
   Reply  Top
Good job!  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Sat. 21 Jul., 2012 at 9:54:59 AM
Quite an accomplishment making that many perfect cream meringue pies with such success.  I can almost take them.  Yummy.

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
Good Job!  Actions...
Posted: by cayer on Sat. 21 Jul., 2012 at 8:08:44 PM
Congratulations on your success and thank you for sharing your newfound tips.

I love Coconut Cream Pie but must saynthat I have never seen one with meringue, always whipped cream and shredded coconut, and thats always the way my mother made it.  I really should make one someday , but since my DH won't eat coconut, I guess I might have to eat it all by myself.  Now, that would be wrong with that? 'G'

This is an awesome forum!

cayer
   Reply  Top
bravo!  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Sun. 22 Jul., 2012 at 4:06:54 PM

Glad the pies were a success!

I'm impressed that you would do this for a dinner party you weren't even attending...?

What a nice thing to do!

When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. ― Bob Dylan

The poster formerly known as plexy (stolen from Jack Johnson)  and before that known as sexyplexy (nickname just for fun!)  ;)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
Rehearsal Party  Actions...
Posted: by Armagh on Sun. 22 Jul., 2012 at 10:41:19 PM
In reply to: a.doll "bravo!"
It was for a wedding rehearsal dinner party and I wasn't in the wedding party.

Armagh
   Reply  Top
how nice!  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Mon. 23 Jul., 2012 at 10:13:06 AM
In reply to: Armagh "Rehearsal Party"

It was quite a compliment to you that you were asked to do this!  Ever thought about selling your pies?

When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. ― Bob Dylan

The poster formerly known as plexy (stolen from Jack Johnson)  and before that known as sexyplexy (nickname just for fun!)  ;)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »