home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

work
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
jeans in corporate environment  Actions...
Posted: by _temp_ on Thu. 15 Dec., 2011 at 8:54:14 AM
recently I went for an interview and of course I dressed for it I do have a nice business suit had my nails done
but the person interviewing me had on a hoodie a tshirt with letters across the chest and jeans no makeup on and her hair was pulled back into a pony tail
this was a Monday and it was a corporate office in one of the major banks
I just think that is wrong

_temp_
   Reply  Top
I hear you  Actions...
Posted: by itsmeagain on Thu. 15 Dec., 2011 at 10:44:52 AM
In reply to: _temp_ "jeans in corporate environment"

It is such a slippery slope when jeans become everyday wear IMO.  But I have a bigger issue with the t-shirt and hoodie, I mean what do you change into when you change out of your work clothes.

Where I work (professional office) we are allowed casual fridays where anything goes it seems, some of the clothes are more appropriate for a night of clubbing than work, and when a client comes into visit sometimes they can't meet their 'team' because the 'team' knows they are dressed inappropriately - if ya know it isn't right than don't do it.  I always wonder if management sees what is going on but just doesn't mention it. 

I think my fave look was when a co-worker wore her pj pants to work, she was six months pregnant and her one pair of maternity pants was dirty.  She was able to wash her yoga pants for the next day, still rolling my eyes at that one.

Please forgive the typos . . . spell check doesn't seem to work for me!

itsmeagain
   Reply  Top
I love dressing up for work  Actions...
Posted: by _temp_ on Thu. 15 Dec., 2011 at 1:24:24 PM
In reply to: itsmeagain "I hear you"
I feel looking good is part of being professional and doing your best

I should have asked if that was the norm or maybe they were doing inventory
that was the most casual I have seen yet

_temp_
   Reply  Top
There might have been something else going on  Actions...
Posted: by PinkMermaid on Thu. 15 Dec., 2011 at 3:47:19 PM

Temp - I spent many years working in the head office of a major financial institution. I know that the HR department keeps in contact with other financial institutions HR departments. They want to make sure their policies, benefits, etc are in line with everyone else. So saying that most offices are business casual but if there is a business meeting then the dress is supposed to be business formal.

Now for the other stuff that might be going on. Jeans days weren't freebies. We had to pay a loonie or toonie, I don't recall, and get a sticker to show we'd paid and the funds would go to a charitable organization. Also if we were taking a day or two cleaning out the filing room or storage areas and it was going to be a dirty job we were allowed to wear jeans and tops that could get dirty and wash easily. I rather suspect seeing as how its year end that might be what's going on. Boxes of files are being prepared to ship out to the document storage facility. I'm talking hundreds of boxes here. Its a huge task normally undertaken by a couple of people and probably their boss is right in there too recording what's going into the boxes and moving them on to a pallet. We also volunteered time at the food bank this time of year and its a warehouse and its better to be wearing jeans or other wash and wear clothing. Oh I forgot the off site storage units. Sometimes a dumpster was rented and staff went over there and chucked out the crap that had been sitting around for years. If this person is in tech dept they probably wear jeans because they spend a lot of time crawling underneath people's desks hooking up wires and fixing things.

Without really knowing what's going on in this case I would say there was probably a genuine reason that this interviewer was wearing jeans and perhaps forgot she had an interview scheduled.

Either way good luck getting the job!

PinkMermaid
   Reply  Top
n/t wrong spot  Actions...
Posted: by daffodil_ on Fri. 16 Dec., 2011 at 11:43:54 AM
In reply to: PinkMermaid "There might have been something else going on"
Ahh - deleted the wrong one!  Was only saying that regardless of 'something else going on', the interviewer should either have not schedule an interview for that day, or should have apologized for being in jeans etc.  Most corporate banks that I am familiar with, don't do that kind of lug-work during the business week anyway.

daffodil_
edited Sun. 1 Jan., 2012 @ 9:52:06 AM by daffodil_
edited Sun. 1 Jan., 2012 @ 9:55:16 AM by daffodil_

Reply  Top
Daffodil of course you're right  Actions...
Posted: by PinkMermaid on Sun. 18 Dec., 2011 at 7:13:23 PM
In reply to: daffodil_ "n/t wrong spot"

But this is a financial institution you're talking about. Attitudes have gone downhill in the past 10 years in regards to proper dress unless you're a senior management male over age 60. Yes "forgetting" is huge. Everyone keeps a calendar on Outlook with reminders and supervisor and managers all have smart phones issued by the bank where they can check their appointments. What they remember on Friday and forget over the weekend can be legendary until they look at the calendar again on Monday morning!

Personally I would never work for another financial institution. Unless you're under 25 years old and looking for a starting position as a teller it is really hard to get a job and once you're in advancement opportunities are slim. Of course not everyone is looking for advancement opportunities. Like me. Like about 75% of my coworkers. Everybody does their job and gets a paycheck. If a better job comes along we move along. Everyone I knew who left the company all left for better jobs.

PinkMermaid
   Reply  Top
wrong spot  Actions...
Posted: by daffodil_ on Sun. 1 Jan., 2012 at 9:50:34 AM
In reply to: PinkMermaid "Daffodil of course you're right"

daffodil_
edited Sun. 1 Jan., 2012 @ 9:53:08 AM by daffodil_

Reply  Top
wow  Actions...
Posted: by ABmom99 on Sun. 18 Dec., 2011 at 11:16:55 PM

that does sound so wrong.  I can see dressing for the position. ie if you were applying at say a construction site & employer wore jeans & workboots for interview that would be appropriate... but corporate office in bank?  I would hope that's unusual - for a special cause (charity) or extreme circumstance.  I highly doubt that normally the inteviewer would be dressed so casually.

...... as for make up - I can't remember the last time I wore any cosmetics or had a 'highly' groomed hair do - As long as person is neat & clean I don't think cosmetics are a job requirement - where dressing suitably professionally is important.

ABmom99
   Reply  Top
Is makeup mandatory???  Actions...
Posted: by Bols on Fri. 30 Dec., 2011 at 6:29:49 PM
Maybe that woman does not wear makeup at all, is there anything wrong with that?

I would not expect to find the interviewer in jeans at a bank, but maybe it depends what kind of a job you applied for. For example, if it was an IT position, I don't think that IT staff needs to dress up in the same fashion as the tellers (but that is only my assumption; I have never worked at a bank). I work for a major corporation and THANK GOD we have no dress code (so unless you show up in ripped jeans or dirty clothes, pretty much anything goes). I do remember that one year we got an email that no flip flops were to be worn but I think it was generally ignored.
I would really hate if we had a dress code; most of us wear jeans & T's / sweaters / sweatshirts on a daily basis. We are no facing the customers, so who cares? I would say that the customer definitely cares more about how quickly and efficiently I fix his issues than about I have on.

And you know what? Years ago, I responded to an ad in the newspaper and I was invited for an interview. Just like you, I showed up in a nice business pants suit, a silk blouse and I think I even wore small pearls necklace (don't remember the details). I had done some online research about the company but it was impossible to tell what to expect. I was interviewed by two guys, both wore jeans and Tshirts and one of them even had a baseball hat on. I could not care less. And yeah, I got that job and I absolutely loved it there.

Bols
   Reply  Top
Make-up  Actions...
Posted: by Susan12 on Fri. 30 Dec., 2011 at 9:25:59 PM
In reply to: Bols "Is makeup mandatory???"
30+ years ago, I was taken aside by a well-polished lady in the workforce and told how much better I would look if I wore more make-up.  I laughed and told her most women wearing a lot of  make-up wished they looked as great as me as I wear not much.  Still believe that and wear nothing but mascara and lipstick (if that)!

Susan12
   Reply  Top
corporate banking offices  Actions...
Posted: by daffodil_ on Sun. 1 Jan., 2012 at 9:59:02 AM
Well, she did say it was the corporate office, and typically someone from HR will interview you.  Not all IT people wear, or are allowed to wear jeans (if she indeed applied for an IT job, but I don't think she said what type of job at the corporate banking office).   The jeans-IT thing tends to be more for an IT company, rather than IT departments in corporate offices. 

daffodil_
   Reply  Top
I don't care about make-up  Actions...
Posted: by _temp_ on Mon. 2 Jan., 2012 at 8:58:59 AM
but the fact she wasn't wearing any and just had her hair pulled back into a ponytail and with a hoodie and t-shirt & jeans just added to what I consider an unprofessional look

_temp_
   Reply  Top
did you get the job? nt  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Mon. 2 Jan., 2012 at 9:55:04 AM
In reply to: _temp_ "I don't care about make-up"
n/t

Mr. Harper really doesn’t appreciate people who disagree with him and he’ll be damned if he’ll help them spread their unwelcome views.

jadeyy
   Reply  Top
I guess not  Actions...
Posted: by _temp_ on Wed. 4 Jan., 2012 at 5:23:54 PM
In reply to: jadeyy "did you get the job? nt"
n/t

_temp_
   Reply  Top
Sorry to hear that Temp  Actions...
Posted: by PinkMermaid on Thu. 5 Jan., 2012 at 11:44:30 AM
In reply to: _temp_ "I guess not"

But you never know. They might just be behind and haven't made a decision yet.

You didn't say how old you are but the bad news is if you're over 30 you can pretty much forget about this job if you don't know someone in a position of power. I was on the dark side of 30 when I got hired at a bank's head office and the only way I got in was because my father and the CEO knew each other for 40 years and the CEO took my resume to the president of HR and said keep her in mind for any openings. Ageism is alive and well in financial institutions from my personal oberservation and from me talking to employees at other banks. I did not see new employees over age 30 getting hired with the exception of mid to senior management and some employees who were in the process of quitting a job at another financial insitution to join ours so they had current experience. The women in their 50's and 60's had been there for 15+ years. In 10 years I saw one woman get hired who was over 30 years old who was not management or a recent transfer from another bank or related to an employee in a position with some pull.

Trust me on this. There are much better employers out there than financial institutions who treat their employees way better. Financial institutions are constantly downsizing and outsourcing and employees don't have job security like they did back in the 70's. You can be let go at the drop of the hat for no reason. Saw it happen numerous times when departments are told to cut their budgets. They're not looking at purchasing fewer pens, they're looking at salaries.

PinkMermaid
   Reply  Top
I am  Actions...
Posted: by _temp_ on Fri. 6 Jan., 2012 at 1:06:35 PM
In reply to: PinkMermaid "Sorry to hear that Temp"
60 lol so I know my chances are getting very slim
they are going to call me today some time to let me know why I didn't get it cuz I emailed them to ask for constructive criticism

recently I went had a telephone interview for another place and they emailed me to say i would not be invited for an in person interview; I emailed them back asking if I could know why but also added if they prefer not to tell me that is fine and I didn't hear from them again

I am also having another interview on Monday

_temp_
edited Fri. 6 Jan., 2012 @ 1:07:56 PM by _temp_

Reply  Top
well i wish you good luck in your job hunt  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Fri. 6 Jan., 2012 at 2:46:22 PM
In reply to: _temp_ "I am"
its not easy..

Mr. Harper really doesn’t appreciate people who disagree with him and he’ll be damned if he’ll help them spread their unwelcome views.

jadeyy
   Reply  Top
the employment agencies  Actions...
Posted: by _temp_ on Sat. 7 Jan., 2012 at 8:48:31 AM
In reply to: jadeyy "well i wish you good luck in your job hunt"
the agencies are in trouble too because I am hearing that companies are not using them as much so their staff are always changing

sometimes they let you know when a rep has left but usually you have to find out yourself

_temp_
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »