When faced with challenges or decisions that I am having trouble making, my course of action is usually to decide what is the "right thing to do". If I can determine what I think is truly the right thing to do, I can not have regrets because I know I have done what I think is the honest, upstanding thing. I am having trouble with a business decision and wanted some advice.
I was recencely offered and accepted (last week) a position in a firm that I have been doing some contract work for. I do like the firm. There are some issues with personalities and practices, but overall it is a nice place to work - on a scale of 1-10 I would give it an 8. The compensation is generous and staff are treated properly and respectfully. I have recently been assigned to the least-friendly team and have not had an opportunity to work with them yet, but I am guessing it will be, although less "friendly" still professional and a reasonably flexible environment. However, I understand the work generated by this team is not all that challenging and I will probably not learn a lot in this position. All and all a good job though and nothing serious to complain about.
Conicidentally, on Friday of this past week I was contacted by an old acquantance who is opening another firm and would like me to come and work there. That would offer more room for advancement and the terms are equal to what I am currently making. The difference really is that this team leader is more compatable with me and frankly he is a lot of fun to work with. He has a better sense of humour and I would like to have an opportunity to work with him. As I said, the new team at my current firm is less than friendly. Also, the work is somewhat different and would be more challenging at this new office.
So, I am having trouble deciding between the two. My incling is that I would rather go to the new firm and see if there are more challenges and learning to be had. Also, I just think it will be fun to work there. However, it has only been a week since I agreed to stay at the current firm and I feel like I am being unprofessional if I back out so quickly. If the terms were different, or there was an obvious reason, I would not have so much trouble. To go to them now and say, actually I changed my mind, just seems unproffessional and I do not want to put them in a bind because they are a great place to work and have been good to me.
Any suggestions? Do you think I will be burning a bridge if I leave this firm only one week after accepting the job? There is opportunity within my industry to return to different firms so I would like to keep everyone happy. Impossible of course.
Suggestions on how to deal with this? If I do leave my current firm how can I explain that I changed my mind but really do not have a good reason other than I might like the team better - that sounds somewhat insulting. If I say I am concerned the work will not be challenging I should have considered that before accepting in the first place.
Any input is apprecited. thank you!