home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

home & garden
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
25 Tips to Declutter Your Home  Actions...
Posted: by Sarah__Chatelaine on Tue. 28 Feb., 2012 at 4:48:23 PM

http://www.chatelaine.com/en/photos/36030--25-tips-to-declutter-your-home

Some interesting ideas! My usual mode of declutting is grabbing the donation bins and hauling it to charity, but I will try my hand at employing some creative storage :)

What is your most clever storage solution?

Sarah, Chatelaine

Sarah__Chatelaine
   Reply  Top
well  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Tue. 28 Feb., 2012 at 5:31:09 PM
In reply to: Sarah__Chatelaine "25 Tips to Declutter Your Home"
none of those ideas would work in my teeny tiny house, lol! The only way to declutter around here is to haul the stuff to charity as well or store it in the garage & crawl space.

Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
   Reply  Top
My most clever...  Actions...
Posted: by TheCoho on Tue. 28 Feb., 2012 at 5:45:13 PM

de-cluttering solution is:

Don't buy it unless I need it and if I buy it get rid of something at the same time.

As for storage (and that isn't the same as de-cluttering, IMO), I guess it's about the same as de-cluttering. Buy less and you have room for everything.

Coho salmon are prized for their excellent fighting abilities and acrobatics

TheCoho
   Reply  Top
Oh, Koda...  Actions...
Posted: by _mom_ on Wed. 29 Feb., 2012 at 12:34:37 AM
In reply to: TheCoho "My most clever..."
My house is so small, too.  And I'm into every craft that ever was invented...I have bin after bin of craft supplies.  Thank God I don't have a man living here...he wouldn't be able to stand it!  But I just can't part with all my 'stuff'.....but it does bring in a little money every now and then!

_mom_
   Reply  Top
yes  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Wed. 29 Feb., 2012 at 3:56:57 PM
In reply to: _mom_ "Oh, Koda..."
I have craft stuff everywhere too, I've always dreamed of having a 'craft' room. Maybe someday when my son moves out, but will he take all his stuff with him??!!

My husband doesn't notice because compared to his parents house, ours is immaculate & their house is twice the size of mine. Now there's some people that need the woman from Consumed.
Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
   Reply  Top
I hate to say this  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Wed. 29 Feb., 2012 at 4:22:24 PM
but, in my opinion, most of those ideas would just add to the clutter, unless one lived in an extremely large home where these ideas could be visually absorbed by the large amount of space.

The main thoughts behind decluttering or organization is that one would want to create a space which appears to not be overwhelmed by all that home owner has collected as those small extras that tend to take up space.  Most of these ideas would just add to that sense of clutter, whether grouped or not.

Clutter should be well-organized, mostly hidden from the eye, or at least be serving a dual purpose if at all possible (either within itself or by how it's organized), and not take up any more space than is necessary.  The idea is to reduce the amount of space that is needed to 'house' these articles, not increase it, and this would include visually.  Otherwise, it would still be still clutter and could potentially affect one physically, emotionally, or mentally.  

As others have stated, the best way to deal with clutter is to get rid of it.  'One in and one out' is always a good way to look at this.  And for that we can't get rid of, for whatever reason, we must either become creative with our thinking or become super organized.  Making our limited available living space appear, or actually making it, even smaller just doesn't cut it.   

"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"  Dr. Seuss

"Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does."  (unknown)

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."  George S. Patton

The poster formerly known as Writer Mom (stolen from Prince)  

dreamer16
   Reply  Top
interesting  Actions...
Posted: by Mary... on Sun. 4 Mar., 2012 at 9:48:54 AM

I enjoyed the article! Not all the tips would work in my home, but it does open your mind to other potentials.

I love the tip above though, buy it only if you really need it. I try more and more to buy it only if I love it too.

Mary...
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »