home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

food & recipes
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
B12  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Thu. 15 Mar., 2012 at 2:28:42 PM
As the thread about red meat continues I thought I'd do some research on the benefits of B12 and the benefits of B vitamins in general.  Here are some articles I found that were very interesting:

B12 Calms - ADHD

Anxiety and related disorders

Health Benefits of using B12

and even

Horses

Clearly it is important to pay attention to what you eat and how you source your food and to try to eat a balanced diet. 

Not sure if this post should have been put in another forum or not but I'll let the mods decide!

When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. ― Bob Dylan

The poster formerly known as plexy (stolen from Jack Johnson)  and before that known as sexyplexy (nickname just for fun!)  ;)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
..............  Actions...
Posted: by LunaGypsy on Thu. 15 Mar., 2012 at 2:45:55 PM
In reply to: a.doll "B12"

http://www.b12vitamin.com/#deficiency

“When is a deficiency of vitamin B12 likely to occur?
Diets of most adult Americans provide recommended intakes of vitamin B12, but deficiency may still occur as a result of an inability to absorb B12 from food. It can also occur in individuals with dietary patterns that exclude animal or fortified foods (9). As a general rule, most individuals who develop a vitamin B12 deficiency have an underlying stomach or intestinal disorder that limits the absorption of vitamin B12 (10). Sometimes the only symptom of these intestinal disorders is anemia resulting from B12 deficiency.”

From Mayoclinic.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-B12/NS_patient-vitaminb12

“However, deficiency can result from being unable to use vitamin B12. Inability to absorb vitamin B12 from the intestinal tract can be caused by pernicious anemia. Vitamin B12 deficiency is common in the elderly.”

http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/nutrition/vitamin-b12/overview.html

“Many people over age 50 lose the ability to absorb vitamin B12 from foods.”

Articles on B12 go on and on and they all pretty much contend the same thing. 

Prostitution isn't sex only, it’s you do what I say, sex.Catharine MacKinnon

Sexual liberation for women cannot be achieved as long as we normalize unequal sexual practices where a man dominates a woman.

LunaGypsy
   Reply  Top
***  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Thu. 15 Mar., 2012 at 2:52:55 PM
In reply to: LunaGypsy ".............."
What I find particularly interesting is its calming effect.

When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. ― Bob Dylan

The poster formerly known as plexy (stolen from Jack Johnson)  and before that known as sexyplexy (nickname just for fun!)  ;)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
Yes,  Actions...
Posted: by LunaGypsy on Thu. 15 Mar., 2012 at 3:03:24 PM
In reply to: a.doll "***"
I can understand that.

Prostitution isn't sex only, it’s you do what I say, sex.Catharine MacKinnon

Sexual liberation for women cannot be achieved as long as we normalize unequal sexual practices where a man dominates a woman.

LunaGypsy
   Reply  Top
for horses?  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Thu. 15 Mar., 2012 at 3:09:44 PM
what about flying fuzzy insects? Probably every living creature has this (B12) in teeny amounts? Or maybe not if they (flying insects) go crazy around bright lights (or people).Grin

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
edited Thu. 15 Mar., 2012 @ 3:31:39 PM by green_sleeves

Reply  Top
Frisky Horses?  Actions...
Posted: by MsGinny on Thu. 15 Mar., 2012 at 3:27:15 PM

Well, I do admit it's been a while since I have been a frisky, young filly!  I take a B12 daily, so I guess that's why I am so calm...Grin

On top of that, I do eat a very well balanced diet.

MsGinny
   Reply  Top
This chart looks very useful  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Thu. 15 Mar., 2012 at 4:01:19 PM

when looking for foods high in B vitamins

healthy choices

(darn - not an eggplant in sight anywhere!  Weeping)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
Thanks...  Actions...
Posted: by TheCoho on Thu. 15 Mar., 2012 at 4:26:36 PM
In reply to: a.doll "This chart looks very useful"
as I thought...serious vegetarians, like my DB, wouldn't be getting near enough B12 and this is why he had to begin taking supplements.

Coho salmon are prized for their excellent fighting abilities and acrobatics

TheCoho
   Reply  Top
supplements  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Thu. 15 Mar., 2012 at 4:29:56 PM
In reply to: TheCoho "Thanks..."
can be necessary.  I used to have a dear neighbor and, when we both had little babes and she would see that I was getting a little wound up she would always remind me I needed to "take my Bs".

Is your DB feeling better on supplements?

(I really like your current avatar Coho)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
DB...  Actions...
Posted: by TheCoho on Thu. 15 Mar., 2012 at 4:40:16 PM
In reply to: a.doll "supplements"

has made no more mention of the issue...nor has D-SIL...so I am guessing things are improving. He's working hard so that's also a good sign.

In his case, he was very, very tired...fatigued.

Coho salmon are prized for their excellent fighting abilities and acrobatics

TheCoho
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by Mary... on Thu. 15 Mar., 2012 at 4:52:21 PM
In reply to: TheCoho "DB..."

My B12 deficiency got picked up in a blood test. Fortunately it was caught early so I was able to use large dosage of vit B12 and foods rather than injections. I remember my doctor saying -  "you're really going to notice a difference. You'll have a lot more energy". It was so funny, cause my reaction was "omg, I thought I was just getting really lazy". She chuckled, and she was right. I felt it quickly and it felt like I was taken out a of fog. I know each person is different, but that was my experience. I continue to take extra B12 and monitor foods and it's not shown up since as a problem in other blood tests.

Mary...
   Reply  Top
eggplant  Actions...
Posted: by Artemis on Thu. 15 Mar., 2012 at 4:41:40 PM
In reply to: a.doll "This chart looks very useful"

Don't worry a.doll -- that chart is a nice easy snaphot, but it's pretty minimalist, and doesn't give a full nutritional picture. Eggplant might not be a superfood, but it's a decent source of fibre, good for potassium, and has some Vit. A too. So you can enjoy it for more than just its yumminess. Cheesy

ETA: If you want a great, comprehensive resource, I can't tell you how many times I've referred to the Health Canada publication Nutrient Values of Some Common Foods (PDF download). It gives info for both whole and processed foods, and includes fibre, calcium, and iron along with the major vitamins -- as well as the "bad stuff" (Wink) like sodium, fat, and calories.

“I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. It's impossible to put down.”

Artemis
edited Thu. 15 Mar., 2012 @ 4:50:00 PM by Artemis

Reply  Top
love it  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Thu. 15 Mar., 2012 at 4:43:14 PM
In reply to: Artemis "eggplant"
Whenever we are out for dinner I look for eggplant on the menu. 

a.doll
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »