home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

book club
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
For writers, a book a year is slacking in the age of e-readers  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Mon. 14 May., 2012 at 2:59:13 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/business/in-e-reader-age-of-writers-cramp-a-book-a-year-is-slacking.html?_r=1&hpw

This article outlines how writers are now expected to produce in excess of one book per year, plus write novellas, short stories, and whatever else is deemed to be necessary by their publishers to further their careers.  

I'd noticed lately that some authors had more than one current novel, but thought this was just a fluke.  Obviously not.

IMO this pressure on writers to constantly produce great quantities of material will eventually reduce the quality of it.  No one can continually come up with outstanding ideas without 'refilling the well' or taking some well-needed breaks on occasion.  And the pressure to produce on such a tight schedule will eventually result in writer fatigue and that will show in what is produced.  Not that the writing will be unacceptable, but the care just won't be there.  It'll be passable, but would it be the best that this person could produce under normal circumstances? 

Yes, the consumer will receive more reading material from their favourite authors, but is this trade-off worth it in the end?  I don't think so.  There's often good reason for delayed gratification and this could very well be one of them. 

"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"  Dr. Seuss

"Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does."  (unknown)

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."  George S. Patton

The poster formerly known as Writer Mom (stolen from Prince)  

dreamer16
edited Mon. 14 May., 2012 @ 3:02:12 PM by dreamer16
edited Mon. 14 May., 2012 @ 3:03:15 PM by dreamer16
edited Mon. 14 May., 2012 @ 3:04:25 PM by dreamer16

Reply  Top
Maybe I'm not understanding something -  Actions...
Posted: by karen_g on Mon. 14 May., 2012 at 7:52:22 PM
In reply to: dreamer16 "For writers, a book a year is slacking in the age of e-readers"
- I don't (yet) have an e-reader - but do people read faster with them?  I guess maybe marginally so, since you don't have to stop to turn the page, but I'd think the difference would be pretty negligible.  Maybe not, though?

I think we can all think of a few popular fiction authors who started turning out books faster than they had previously - Maeve Binchy and Mary Higgins Clark come to mind - and wrote a couple of real turkeys before they managed to get back on track.

karen_g
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Tue. 15 May., 2012 at 1:52:37 PM
In reply to: karen_g "Maybe I'm not understanding something -"
I don't have an e-reader so I can't speak for others about this; however, I'd think that it wouldn't be much different than reading a paper edition of the same book.  What might be different is the cost associated with this; from what I understand, e-books are less expensive than the same paper version of this.  Also, those who normally wouldn't read a book might consider reading an e-version of one simply because this format is more appealing to them.  And, as this article states, publishers are now pushing writers to create more versions of their work in shorter formats, which will appeal to more and different types of people, as a means of drawing them in.  If someone reads a short story by this author, for example, and enjoys it, they might consider reading longer versions, such as novellas and novels later on, and this will increase their readership.  This wasn't done in the paper format.  If an author chose to write these other versions, that was great, if not, then they stuck to the format that they preferred to write.  Now, they're expected to do all forms, plus write several novels a year.  A person is only capable of so much before the overall quality of their work will begin to deteriorate due to writer fatique and lack of original ideas.  And yes, some authors have produced more than one novel a year, but that was their choice, and it wasn't forced on them, as well as having to produce all of these other forms of fiction in between writing these extra novels.  And besides that, writers aren't assembly line workers, they're artists who create, and that too is the difference here.  Hope this makes sense.

*Forgot to mention that literary authors are exempt from this, and this should show why this matters.  Literary authors take more time to produce exceptional pieces of work.  And that's why this matters.  Other authors still need time, whatever that might be, to produce the quality that is required for their pieces of work.    

"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"  Dr. Seuss

"Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does."  (unknown)

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."  George S. Patton

The poster formerly known as Writer Mom (stolen from Prince)  

dreamer16
edited Tue. 15 May., 2012 @ 1:56:48 PM by dreamer16

Reply  Top
literary authors  Actions...
Posted: by Drose on Sat. 19 May., 2012 at 3:14:35 PM
In reply to: dreamer16 "..."
That's true.  Literary authors are actually cautioned to keep it to one book every two years, otherwise it's very difficult to get press and reviews. People like James Patterson who churn them out-- and even have them written by other authors --don't rely on reviews at all.  These books are the kind that require little focus -- the ones people grab when they need to pass the time as they wait for a Dr's appt or to get through a plane trip. 

Drose
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »