home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

family
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
A Celebration  Actions...
Posted: by _mom_ on Fri. 18 May., 2012 at 12:29:32 AM

I remember someone posting last year, asking if anyone celebrates the birthday of a deceased relative or friend.

Well....today, my Scott would have been 43.  We celebrated his birthday for 35 years, and why would we stop?  I could never imagine May 17th passing without some sort of tribute to our wonderful son and brother.  We had a lovely family dinner and remembered all the reason why we loved him so much.  It wasn't morbid, or a crazy party, just a beautiful night honouring an amazing young man, who was taken from us long before his time. 

And when I look at his moonflowers each night this summer, I'll remember him with love and sweet memories.

And he wouldn't want it any other way....

_mom_
edited Fri. 18 May., 2012 @ 12:30:13 AM by _mom_

Reply  Top
Beautiful!  Actions...
Posted: by wyliesharon on Fri. 18 May., 2012 at 2:11:10 PM
In reply to: _mom_ "A Celebration"
What a beautiful tribute to your son!

wyliesharon
   Reply  Top
That sounds  Actions...
Posted: by krissie on Fri. 18 May., 2012 at 3:17:58 PM
beautiful! In our family we remember the day by going to the gravesite, putting down  flowers and then talking about the deceased.  We never did go out for dinner and have a gathering the way you did, but it sounds wonderful, and yes I'm sure your precious son would have been very pleased! :) 

krissie
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Fri. 18 May., 2012 at 11:22:41 PM
This is important for you and your family to remember your son and brother this way, so why should you stop.  Memories, recollections, and times spent together matter.  

"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"  Dr. Seuss

"Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does."  (unknown)

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."  George S. Patton

The poster formerly known as Writer Mom (stolen from Prince)  

dreamer16
   Reply  Top
I"m not understanding the point of your post.  Actions...
Posted: by Tag on Sat. 19 May., 2012 at 3:44:44 PM
Of course it is beautiful to remember special people in our lives. Did someone say that you shouldn't Well Tough!! Just do it. You are in charge.
Sorry about your DS. How old was he?

Meandering To A Different Drummer

Tag
   Reply  Top
Oh, no, Tag...  Actions...
Posted: by _mom_ on Sat. 19 May., 2012 at 3:51:45 PM
In reply to: Tag "I"m not understanding the point of your post."

No one said I shouldn't.  But last year, another poster asked if anyone celebrates the birthday of a deceased person.  I just wanted to let people know how important it is to me. 

I think there are a few posters here that are very aware of Scott's life.....they're growing his moonflowers! 

BTW, he was 35 when we lost him to cancer.

_mom_
   Reply  Top
It takes my breath away.  Actions...
Posted: by Tag on Sat. 19 May., 2012 at 8:42:28 PM
In reply to: _mom_ "Oh, no, Tag..."
Things like that should not happen. I am so sorry for your loss. I'm wondering if he had children. I do remember about the moon flowers.  It very nice.

When we go to the cemetery, I always notice a grave where the boy was 21 when he died. I would stop at his grave year after year and say something.
One day I was in the office at the cemetery and I wanted to know if he had any other family buried there. It was none of my business but I could almost think of him as a relative. The Manager said there were two other people to go into that grave and I felt better that he wasn't going to be alone. Sure enough, one day I stopped and there was a Mother buried there with him. I was there on Mother's day and I stopped and talked to both of them.

I'm weird. I always keep a connection to the dead.

Meandering To A Different Drummer

Tag
   Reply  Top
That's not weird, Tag  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Sun. 20 May., 2012 at 12:03:57 PM
In reply to: Tag "It takes my breath away."
That's honouring the life, and death of someone.  Whether you knew that person or not doesn't matter.  He was obviously taken from this world too soon and I think it's nice that you take a moment to pay tribute.

mom - Happy Birthday to Scott.  I'm sure he is happy to see your family celebrating his BD as you do.   He is there with you in spirit.

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
That's very sweet of you, Tag...  Actions...
Posted: by _mom_ on Sun. 20 May., 2012 at 5:38:17 PM
In reply to: flowerpot "That's not weird, Tag"

And how comforting for him to know his mom is now beside him.

And, no, he didn't have children.  They were just about to start a family when he was diagnosed, and he was gone three months later.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Flowerpot...I'll pass them along to him tonight!

I know some people may think I'm a bit weird....but until you've lost a child, you just don't understand......and besides, it keeps me sane!

_mom_
edited Sun. 20 May., 2012 @ 5:39:58 PM by _mom_

Reply  Top
what a beautiful tribute  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Sun. 20 May., 2012 at 6:16:15 PM
In reply to: _mom_ "That's very sweet of you, Tag..."

to honour your son's life in this way.  I'm sure he knows and smiles down on you.

Now I understand the sharing of the moonflowers and how special they are to you.

When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. ― Bob Dylan

The poster formerly known as plexy (stolen from Jack Johnson)  and before that known as sexyplexy (nickname just for fun!)  ;)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
a.doll  Actions...
Posted: by _mom_ on Sun. 20 May., 2012 at 11:11:22 PM
In reply to: a.doll "what a beautiful tribute"

The seeds are all from Scott's own plants.  He was so proud of all his moonflowers in his garden.  I have all the videos and pictures he took late at night when they were opening. 

I'm sure he's delighted in knowing they are all over the country! 

_mom_
   Reply  Top
I would love to do my part  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Mon. 21 May., 2012 at 4:03:44 PM
In reply to: _mom_ "a.doll"

Would it still be possible for you to send me some of Scott's moonflower seeds?  I would love to plant them in a special place in our garden and perhaps when I tell my friends the story they would plant more.

When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. ― Bob Dylan

The poster formerly known as plexy (stolen from Jack Johnson)  and before that known as sexyplexy (nickname just for fun!)  ;)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
Sure a.doll...  Actions...
Posted: by _mom_ on Tue. 22 May., 2012 at 1:31:50 AM
In reply to: a.doll "I would love to do my part"
email me at moonflowermom@gmail.com with your address and I will send you some seeds...

_mom_
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »