home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

general forum
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 2   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
How much money did you spend on your wedding?  Actions...
Posted: by Chatelaine_Team on Fri. 1 Jun., 2012 at 3:30:58 PM
What was your wedding like? Did you have a lot of guests? Would you have done anything differently to save wedding costs?

Chatelaine_Team
   Reply  Top
Should the wedding posts  Actions...
Posted: by tigsw_tigsw on Fri. 1 Jun., 2012 at 5:24:25 PM
In reply to: Chatelaine_Team "How much money did you spend on your wedding?"
be in special occasions forum? Just saying LOL.

MUSKOKA IS THE NAME NOT THE MUSKOKAS

see facebook page 

If everyone walked on the right hand side when in a crowd you would not bump into each other.                               

█ ♥ █ C a n a d a

tigsw_tigsw
   Reply  Top
we spent  Actions...
Posted: by Sarah__Chatelaine on Fri. 1 Jun., 2012 at 5:25:58 PM
very little on our wedding. The venue was reasonable, we did finger foods and a limited bar (wine, beer), my mother did our cake and my dress, we did all the flowers ourselves and our invitations were cheeeeeeap! I don't think I would have changed anything to save more money...maybe just eloped ;)
Sarah, Chatelaine

Sarah__Chatelaine
   Reply  Top
Ok then I guess this is the correct forum  Actions...
Posted: by tigsw_tigsw on Fri. 1 Jun., 2012 at 6:05:00 PM
In reply to: Sarah__Chatelaine "we spent"
It was too long ago to remember what it really costs. I think  the most expensive item was the photography.

I was in school in one city and the wedding was in another city several hours away about 3 weeks after I finished my final exams. Due to those points, it was a bit harder perhaps than everything being in one place and free of other heavy commitments.

Rather than cutting down to save money we followed a traditional pattern and felt no pressure on costs.It was just a regular wedding type of thing.

From that I have a question: why are brides pressured to feel they have to spend so much money...sort of match their friends or out do their friends? They seem to go into debt for the wedding and in the end IMHO it likely isn't any better than if they had just followed what they truly could afford. The worry to pay the bills after must be hard.

I admire the wedding that follows the budget the bridal party can afford.

The huge ethnic weddings are often paid for at least a lot of it by the parents who have been saving for years. That is a different thing.

After thinking, I paid $125.00 for my dress and $40.00 for the veil.The headpiece I had worn before as a bridesmaid and had it recovered in lace. Do not remember any costs for the reception. We gave the Canon $10.00 and the flowers in the church were supplied by the church. Also gave the soloist $10.00. Do not remember the cost of the flowers for the wedding party.

We served roast turkey and trimmings, cabbage rolls, mashed potatoes gravy, salad and one more vegetable...do not remember the dessert.

The dresses were made by a friend. It was difficult for fittings as only two of the bridesmaids lived locally.

Think the invitations cost around $25.00.

We  gave sterling silver pins to the woman but do not remember what we gave to the men in the party.

There was a textile strike and I had a terrible time buying  fabric for the dresses. Had to take the colour that was enough for the dresses...evening orchid....satin.

I would not do the wedding any differently.

MUSKOKA IS THE NAME NOT THE MUSKOKAS

see facebook page 

If everyone walked on the right hand side when in a crowd you would not bump into each other.                               

█ ♥ █ C a n a d a

tigsw_tigsw
edited Sat. 2 Jun., 2012 @ 12:54:55 AM by tigsw_tigsw

Reply  Top
It's been too long  Actions...
Posted: by Caipirinha on Fri. 1 Jun., 2012 at 5:55:56 PM
31 years in July and I cannot remember .  My parents gave us $1500 and our buffet roast beef diner was 5.99 but part of that was that my  DH worked for the guy that owned the venue and they gave us a deal so we didn't have to pay tax.  $6.00 was the limit.  I think the flower package was $199.00 and if I remember correctly my dress and the crinoline slip was $265.  I borrowed a hat, we had a dj, wine for dinner and punch and it cost $50 to have the home made fruit cake decorated at the Loblaes bakery.  

I wouldn't do anything differently to save costs but I would definitely want a different kind of wedding now.

Caipirinha
   Reply  Top
I really  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Fri. 1 Jun., 2012 at 6:21:02 PM
don't know, my parents offered to cover most of the expense. At the time I accepted, of course, but then I didn't have a lot of say in what went on (partly because we live in another city). We got married in the University Chapel & had our reception at the Ukranian hall, a friend did the video & another family friend took the photos. Although I think probably the photos were the most expensive part. 

Looking back I wouldn't have taken their offer & eloped, lol! There's a reason for me feeling this way but that's another story. Really our wedding was great & all our guests had a fabulous time, best wedding I've ever been to. 

Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
edited Fri. 1 Jun., 2012 @ 6:22:33 PM by Koda

Reply  Top
....  Actions...
Posted: by Jarita on Fri. 1 Jun., 2012 at 6:52:56 PM

We spent $2,600. on our wedding.  It was almost 27 years ago but I kept a running total & still have it in our wedding book.  We paid for everything ourselves.

The most expensive thing was the food which came in at $575.  The liquor was $490 & I'm sure we returned some of that afterwards.  The pictures were free because my photographer cousin did them as his gift to us.   The material for my dress and the bridesmaid's dresses cost $130 & an excellent seamstress made my dress from a magazine picture for $65.  I made one bridesmaid dress & my other friend made her own.  We gave $120 to the church and the reception hall rental was $70.

Our 1 week stay at a nearby cabin rental was $30!  (Went on another 2 week honeymoon, for considerably more cost, the following year)  We've rented the cabin numerous times over the years & will be there for our anniversary again this year.  The rent this year is $175... still super cheap, but that just shows you how much the cost of everything has risen over the years.

I think we had about 75 people at our wedding (invited 100).  If we had to do it all over again we would have the wedding that we wanted in the first place.  We wanted to go on a Mediterranean cruise & get married on the ship.  My  Mom feelings were very hurt about that though so we decided to have a wedding at home.  Even though the most fun I have ever had at a wedding was at our own we should have went on the trip and taken my Mom with us!

"Now and Then it is good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."

Jarita
   Reply  Top
for interest's sake : in 2012  Actions...
Posted: by vibrantgirl on Sat. 2 Jun., 2012 at 7:30:06 PM
In reply to: Jarita "...."
considering inflation, that amount would be : $5569

Do you think you could get the same wedding for that much these days?
Seems to me the cost of weddings has surpassed inflation...but I'm not sure...maybe people just want more.

vibrantgirl
edited Sat. 2 Jun., 2012 @ 7:32:34 PM by vibrantgirl

Reply  Top
inflation  Actions...
Posted: by Jarita on Sun. 3 Jun., 2012 at 12:22:40 PM
In reply to: vibrantgirl "for interest's sake : in 2012"
That's a neat calculator vibrantgirl.  I can't repeat what DH said when I told him what our wedding would cost today based on inflation. 

No, I don't think we could get the same wedding today even for the inflated amount. 

"Now and Then it is good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."

Jarita
   Reply  Top
Well, then .....  Actions...
Posted: by Bambi on Mon. 4 Jun., 2012 at 6:20:34 AM
In reply to: vibrantgirl "for interest's sake : in 2012"

According to that site (which is a U.S. site), my wedding today would cost $15,673.37.

A good time could still be had by all for that, I think - with a bit of economising.

Bambi
   Reply  Top
I don't remember..  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Fri. 1 Jun., 2012 at 11:56:28 PM
..what our total wedding pkg cost.  It was 39 years ago, way cheaper than it would be now, I know that much.  If I was to do it again, I'd elope.

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
49 years ago  Actions...
Posted: by Nanny G on Sat. 2 Jun., 2012 at 12:17:33 PM
In reply to: flowerpot "I don't remember.."
and my parents paid for everything. So I have no idea how much  a wedding cost in 1963.

Nanny G
   Reply  Top
I double posted. Please ignore  Actions...
Posted: by Tag on Sat. 2 Jun., 2012 at 3:06:02 PM
Thanks.

Meandering To A Different Drummer

Tag
edited Sat. 2 Jun., 2012 @ 3:06:54 PM by Tag
edited Sat. 2 Jun., 2012 @ 3:12:19 PM by Tag
edited Mon. 4 Jun., 2012 @ 12:47:18 PM by Tag

Reply  Top
today with inflation  Actions...
Posted: by vibrantgirl on Sun. 3 Jun., 2012 at 9:47:39 PM
In reply to: Tag "I double posted. Please ignore"
$7618.71 
Considering you didn't buy a dress or hire photographers, that was quite a bit of money back then.  Maybe it was the open bar that did it. ;)

vibrantgirl
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by Rockinkitty on Sat. 2 Jun., 2012 at 6:58:51 PM
I don't have the numbers out now, but it wasn't much.  By far the most expensive part was our rings, which were reasonably priced IMO, and perfect! 

I can't even really figure out a good estimate on our food.  We made everything ourselves beforehand (and with help from my sisters on our wedding day) and ended up not using a LOT of what we planned.  There was so much food it was crazy.  Including juice and cake the tally is well under 200 I'm sure.

My dress material cost 4.00.  I had to have it lined but it came to under 50 including thread. 

My dear friend's fiancee is planning their wedding for this summer.  She is not the type of woman to settle or compromise and I'm certain she will have my friend in debt for years for this one day.  I want to clunk her on the head, and tell my friend to...well...I won't say that. 

Rockinkitty
   Reply  Top
very little  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Sat. 2 Jun., 2012 at 8:14:35 PM
in total around $500 or less. That was for the licence, marriage commissioner, DH's ring, (I re-purposed one I had made) and a prime rib dinner for a few friends. 
We didn't want anything but to be married. And no...looking back, it was just as we wanted it to be.Heartbeat

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
I can't remember  Actions...
Posted: by krissie on Sun. 3 Jun., 2012 at 1:54:28 AM
the exact amount we paid but it sure wasn't into the thousands as many are today.  We could care less if we ruffled any feathers, we just wanted to be married.  We got married by a marriage commissioner in our home that we had just bought. We had immediate family and a few close friends. After the, I do's, we all went out to a fabulous chinese dinner. About a year later we went to Europe for our delayed honeymoon. Since then we have been to numerous weddings, that were so extravagant only to hear that quite a few of them have divorced already, mostly due to financial pressures.....lol

krissie
   Reply  Top
So long ago.....  Actions...
Posted: by Bambi on Sun. 3 Jun., 2012 at 9:43:09 AM

My Dad paid for my wedding - 1969.  We had 103 guests.  We had a DJ.  We had a reception at a Golf & Country Club.  There was wine on the tables but I believe people paid for their own drinks after a couple of freebies.  We had a roast beef dinner - don't remember the dessert.  I had a lovely cake.  Flowers were pink carnations and white daisies.  My mother made my dress and the bridesmaid's dresses - I bought the material.  A family friend who was a professional photographer did all the pictures for a very small cost.  We had no limo.  It was a wonderful day and my parents took care of all the arrangements as I was living in another city.  That was really hard on my mother to get the dresses done as we all had to juggle schedules to get the fittings in.

I do believe that the grand total bandied about in later years was somewhere in the region of $2,500. 

Our dresses were short and were a deep pink moire satin.  I had a white lace overdress.  The guys wore black suits and white turtle neck sweaters.  I think we had a lovely wedding.  I remember getting so many comments from people afterwards about what a great time it had been.  It drained my mother though - I realized that quite some time afterwards. 

We've had our two girls get married in recent years - 1999 and 2005 and each of them had quite a few different touches.  We've been to 2 weddings so far this year that have been different again and we've another wedding coming up in August - so it should be interesting to see what's going to be different (or not) with that one.

One wedding we were at this year had no wedding cake.  Both weddings had a "dress-up" photo booth.  Both weddings had an all-in-one venue.  One wedding was "splashy" but elegant.  One was more family party oriented.  Both were perfect in their way. 

In our case - we paid for one daughter's wedding and only contributed something towards the second daughter's.  I think as the couple gets older, they are more likely to want to do everything themselves.

We were drained after our first daughter's wedding and went on a little holiday to recoup. 

Bambi
   Reply  Top
Wedding of the Year  Actions...
Posted: by Nanny G on Sun. 3 Jun., 2012 at 10:57:33 AM
In reply to: Bambi "So long ago....."

I am anxious to hear about a wedding taking place in July. A friend of mine is invited. Invitations cames in a white square box tied with navy blue and white  ribbons and Hand Delivered by a courrier service. Now her problem is what to wear and what to give as a present. The wedding will take place at 11.00am so that the men can wear Morning Suits, reception at 7.00 pm.

Nanny G
   Reply  Top
Second time around  Actions...
Posted: by MMV on Sun. 3 Jun., 2012 at 12:07:36 PM
My husband and I were married one year ago tomorrow.  It was important for us to make our wedding day an intimate celebration with only my two children and both their guest. We had an exquisite dinner at one of the most renowned restaurants in the city; a nine-course dinner with wine pairings.  We also had a top-notch photographer, a limo, and the six of us stayed at the hotel next door to the restaurant on the wedding night.  Later in August, we held a reception to celebrate our marriage with friends and family, about 75 people.  It was held at an art gallery in the evening.  It was simple and elegant, with wine and beer, hors-d'oeuvres and desserts, a master coffee roaster, and we even had a "mentalist" perform for about 20 minutes. We had musicians playing blues as background music during the party. Really special and different...  Total cost of both the wedding day and reception in August (including wedding attire) was about $15,000.

Tradition was not important to us, as this was a second marriage for both of us, and we had also been living together for over seven years.  What was important to us was doing things in a way that reflected our couple and our individuality.

A summer we'll never forget!  (We flew to Paris for twelve days the day after our June wedding.  Didn't count that expense in my number though.)

MMV
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 2   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »