home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

news & views
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 3   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Ontario and the West pay for Quebec welfare state  Actions...
Posted: by Nanny G on Sun. 3 Jun., 2012 at 3:27:45 PM
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Milke+Quebec+welfare+state+paid+West+Ontario/6721954/story.html

Nanny G
   Reply  Top
where would the rest of  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Sun. 3 Jun., 2012 at 4:01:39 PM
In reply to: Nanny G "Ontario and the West pay for Quebec welfare state"

us poor Canadians be without the largess from Alberta.....

Mr. Harper really doesn’t appreciate people who disagree with him and he’ll be damned if he’ll help them spread their unwelcome views.

jadeyy
   Reply  Top
Maybe sarcastic  Actions...
Posted: by Nanny G on Tue. 5 Jun., 2012 at 2:31:24 PM
In reply to: jadeyy "where would the rest of"
but true. The 3 western provinces are the milkcow of Canada.

Nanny G
   Reply  Top
Thank you so much NannyG for  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Tue. 5 Jun., 2012 at 5:22:22 PM
In reply to: Nanny G "Maybe sarcastic"

the wonderful reminder of how great your province is, compared to all us po po relatives..Lets just hope the rest of us dont get above our station and think we are as good as the west..

its unfortunate that your memory is so short....

Mr. Harper really doesn’t appreciate people who disagree with him and he’ll be damned if he’ll help them spread their unwelcome views.

jadeyy
edited Tue. 5 Jun., 2012 @ 5:24:57 PM by jadeyy

Reply  Top
I Hope Everyone Reaizes  Actions...
Posted: by Queen_B on Wed. 6 Jun., 2012 at 1:16:35 AM
In reply to: jadeyy "Thank you so much NannyG for"
that this poster in no way speaks for all Albertans, nor is she representative of us in any way, except to embody the worst stereotypes about us.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours shine any brighter.

Queen_B
   Reply  Top
i realize that QueenB.. and I also realize that  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Wed. 6 Jun., 2012 at 5:55:00 AM
In reply to: Queen_B "I Hope Everyone Reaizes"
I shouldnt have risen to the bait.. just galls me a bit tho, when someone thinks one part of Canada is better than any other.

jadeyy
   Reply  Top
Nanny G  Actions...
Posted: by ginny123 on Wed. 6 Jun., 2012 at 8:41:57 AM
In reply to: Nanny G "Maybe sarcastic"
In your own family, wouldn't you help out those who have less?  Don't you contribute to charitable organizations because they have less?  I always thought that's the way things were meant  to be.  I have no trouble with transferring some funds from my 'have' province to those going through hard times.  What goes around, comes around...check out the history. 

ginny123
   Reply  Top
You do know that Alberta was a have-not province too  Actions...
Posted: by danilis on Wed. 6 Jun., 2012 at 11:00:53 AM

and was supported by other provinces? You do know it was only recently that Saskatchewan was a have not province and BC was a have not province for 5 years in this new century?

A lack of knowledge coupled with bigotry create a false, and not attractive, sense of superiority.

danilis
   Reply  Top
Not what I said at all..read again.  Actions...
Posted: by Nanny G on Wed. 6 Jun., 2012 at 11:25:25 AM
In reply to: danilis "You do know that Alberta was a have-not province too"

Most of my husband family is in Quebec..if you live over there you have daycare at $7.00 a day, parental holidays paid for, and university at the third of what Ontarians pay for. They still whine and want more. I have a granddaughter who wants to go to McGill, her parents will pay 3-4 times more than a Québec student .

NOW..they get 8 billions a year in equalisation from the rest of us, so they get lazy on money from  people who work hard and pay through the nose.  42% of quebecers do not pay taxes, so why should they care . Now if Ontario got it's fair share of equalisation they would not be in the whole they are now. Westerners do not mind sharing but they mind when people in Quebec attack the West as being dirty and heartless...

And do not forget I am french, was born there but do no think they should always get the big part of the pie, just because they scream more than the rest of the have-not provinces. When I see kids on the street every night for $325.00 it gets my dander up. Les enfants-rois ne savent pas apprécier ce qu ils ont..you would think they lived in Haiti in a devasteted island....

They want everything FREE..as long as you and me  pay for it.

http://www.financialpost.com/todays-paper/There+such+thing+free+education/6736359/story.html

http://thechronicleherald.ca/canada/104076-no-free-ride-chilean-leader-tells-students

Nanny G
edited Wed. 6 Jun., 2012 @ 11:26:35 AM by Nanny G

Reply  Top
you keep proving my point..  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Wed. 6 Jun., 2012 at 5:58:58 PM
In reply to: Nanny G "Not what I said at all..read again."

btw I wish more provinces had $7 a day daycare.  That certainly allows a lot of families to be able to get jobs outside the home.

jadeyy
   Reply  Top
have not province  Actions...
Posted: by lrjen on Fri. 15 Jun., 2012 at 5:02:50 PM

Your comment is interesting to me as an Albertan and would like to know more about when this was a have not province.  I did a web search however no info about this.

lrjen
   Reply  Top
Alberta was a have-not province  Actions...
Posted: by danilis on Mon. 18 Jun., 2012 at 8:55:40 PM
In reply to: lrjen "have not province"

until 1947 and again received Equalization payments from 1957 to 1965.

And in my opinion, if they keep sending oil to the US at $30 below the going price, they may end up there again.

danilis
   Reply  Top
Backup  Actions...
Posted: by lrjen on Mon. 18 Jun., 2012 at 9:21:34 PM
In reply to: danilis "Alberta was a have-not province"
Where did you find this information?  Links?  Books?

lrjen
   Reply  Top
Finance Canada papers mostly  Actions...
Posted: by danilis on Wed. 20 Jun., 2012 at 10:54:07 AM
In reply to: lrjen "Backup"

including the 2008 "Renewing Equalization" & 2007 Federal Transfers to Provinces & Terrritories. “Achieving a National Purpose: Putting Equalization Back on Track", Constitution Act available from the Dept. of Justice.

danilis
   Reply  Top
Also Some Good Points Here  Actions...
Posted: by Queen_B on Sun. 17 Jun., 2012 at 1:48:12 AM
Why Everything Your Uncle Says About Transfer Payments is Wrong

It's not one province vs another. That's silly, separatist thinking. It's wealthy Canadians paying more in taxes, no matter what province they live in. Albertans have the great good fortune of having more people with higher incomes, but a wealthy person in Alberta does not contribute more than someone earning a similar income in Quebec, Ontario, or PEI. And I think it's time some wealthy Albertans stopped their wah, wah, wahing and appreciated their great, good fortune more and stopped acting like children bickering over which one got the slice of cake with the most icing on it. It makes Albertans look bad, and the rest of us don't like it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours shine any brighter.

Queen_B
   Reply  Top
as you do not agree with the  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Fri. 8 Jun., 2012 at 6:32:02 AM
equalization program, what do you suggest for the have not provinces?

jadeyy
   Reply  Top
@Irjen  Actions...
Posted: by Nanny G on Sat. 16 Jun., 2012 at 7:18:20 PM
In reply to: jadeyy "as you do not agree with the"
Alberta was never a have not province, this is just a myth that central Canada likes to talk about. Alberta has always been selfsufficient, with agriculture and oil + the hardest and free thinking working people in Canada

Nanny G
   Reply  Top
lol.. you need to work a bit harder and  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Sat. 16 Jun., 2012 at 8:20:39 PM
In reply to: Nanny G "@Irjen"
and take the time to respond to the right post..   what a lot of hog wash... how nice of you to insult anyone who doesnt live in Alberta

jadeyy
   Reply  Top
Thankfully...  Actions...
Posted: by lrjen on Mon. 18 Jun., 2012 at 9:24:20 PM
In reply to: jadeyy "lol.. you need to work a bit harder and"
Not all of us who live in Alberta think this way.  It is rather embarrassing really...

lrjen
   Reply  Top
Do not be embarrassed  Actions...
Posted: by Nanny G on Mon. 18 Jun., 2012 at 9:46:05 PM
In reply to: lrjen "Thankfully..."
BE PROUD..everybody else think their province is BEST...why not us.  Are we chicken liver  ???

Nanny G
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 3   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »