home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

home & garden
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Update on homemade cleaning products :)  Actions...
Posted: by Simply_Trying on Tue. 3 Jul., 2012 at 12:31:35 PM

Well it has been close to 3 months since I started using homemade cleaning products.

The laundry soap , LOVE! LOVE! LOVE !   I had originally made two smaller batches to compare the soap bar used and the total cost for the big batch (average of 120 loads) after you have all the ingredients is about $1.50 Thumb up  I have been sharing with family and friends and not always measuring the 1/2 cup recomended  (when hand washing I just poor what is probably 1 to 1.5 cup in the laudry tub) and just gave neighbour 1/3 of a gallon lol so yep I had to make another batch yesterday Grin

PROS:  Cheap
             Does the job required
             Smells good
            Clothes seam to stay fresh longer
             No build up on clothes makes them dry much faster saving on energy
             No skin irritation from strong soap

Cons :    It takes about 20 minutes to make a batch so not really a big issue. 

I also continue to use the Dawn and Vinegar solution for cleaning shower and bathtub and it cuts through the grime with no chemical etc...   I love it.

No Orange Peel and Vinegar solution , works awesome for countertops and any food surface but the smell is not the best IMO ..It does dissipate fast so not really an issue.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau

Simply_Trying
   Reply  Top
Nice!  Actions...
Posted: by Queen_B on Tue. 3 Jul., 2012 at 12:38:09 PM
In reply to: Simply_Trying "Update on homemade cleaning products :)"
I don't remember if I saw your original thread, but I'd be interested in your recipes.

I've been using some homemade cleaners for years. For glass cleaner, I use vinegar, water, a few drops of alcohol, and a couple of drops of dish soap.

For granite cleaner, I use alcohol, water, and a couple of drops of dish soap. I often use this as a sort of all purpose cleaner, too, and I sometimes clean glass with it if I'm also cleaning granite near the glass.

For scrubbing the kitchen sink, etc., I use a baking soda paste mixed with a bit of dish soap.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours shine any brighter.

Queen_B
   Reply  Top
.....  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Tue. 3 Jul., 2012 at 3:37:22 PM
In reply to: Queen_B "Nice!"
I don't recall a thread either but curiosity got the better of me and I searched for home made laundry soap recipes and this page looks pretty good- I am sure OP will post what she is using. 
Not sure if I'd do this when we find huge concentrated jugs of laundry soap on sale for pennies per load. Borax is about $5-6 a box so I add 1/4 cup to a load to make the detergent go further (and it helps with stains).

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
I'm Not Sure  Actions...
Posted: by Queen_B on Tue. 3 Jul., 2012 at 4:06:18 PM
In reply to: green_sleeves "....."
I'd make my own laundry soap, since I have an HE machine. I use only a fraction of the recommended amount anyway.

I used to use washing soda and Borax when I was soaking and washing diapers. Hmm. Maybe I should start doing that again.

The orange peel cleaner recipe sounds interesting, though.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Queen_B
   Reply  Top
I like  Actions...
Posted: by Simply_Trying on Tue. 3 Jul., 2012 at 5:18:18 PM
In reply to: Queen_B "I'm Not Sure"

the laundry cleaner because it is very easy to make .

This is the recipe for laundry soap

I have actually found the bar soap mentionned in the recipe but prefer the Linda bar soap I find at No Frills, Sunlight bar soap is also good.

The cost for me, $5.99 for the Washing Soda, $4.99 for the 20 Mules Borax and $1.29 for the bar soap.    Since you only use 1/3 of the bar of soap, then 1/2 cup each of the Borax and Washing Soda I figured my cost to be about  .76 cents for 2 gallons of soap.  But It`s the end results I love. 

I use 1/2 cup of white distilled vinegar as a rinse agent when required.

My clothes now are staying fresh longer and dry in half the amount of time.

This is the link for the Tub Cleaner made with Dawn and Vinegar

This is the orange peels cleaner

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau

Simply_Trying
   Reply  Top
Thanks! n/t  Actions...
Posted: by Queen_B on Tue. 3 Jul., 2012 at 7:49:06 PM
In reply to: Simply_Trying "I like"
Cheesy

Queen_B
   Reply  Top
Forgot to add  Actions...
Posted: by Simply_Trying on Tue. 3 Jul., 2012 at 8:04:03 PM
In reply to: Queen_B "Thanks! n/t"
that the homemade Laundry soap is deemed to be HE friendly from what I read on the web as I also have a HE washing machine.

Henry David Thoreau

Simply_Trying
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »