home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

technology
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Cheap windows 8 Pro if........  Actions...
Posted: by Aggie on Thu. 19 Jul., 2012 at 4:14:08 PM

If anyone is interest here is some info on windows 8 Pro. Cheapest windows verion yet.......

Windows 8 Pro

Not sure I care about having Metro(tablet screen) but from what I have read you can turn it off and get a regular windows desktop screen. Anyway I will wait and play with a  win 8 machine at Costco in Oct before I make the plunge. I probably will buy it just to keep abreast of things.....lol

Aggie
   Reply  Top
........  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Thu. 19 Jul., 2012 at 4:31:41 PM
In reply to: Aggie "Cheap windows 8 Pro if........"
just wondering- to get the full effect/experience of W8 do we need a touch screen monitor or does it work with a normal one? 

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
suppose if you want to....  Actions...
Posted: by Aggie on Thu. 19 Jul., 2012 at 5:04:24 PM
In reply to: green_sleeves "........"

If you want to use windows 8 like a smartphone or tablet then probably yes to a touch screen. But you really do not have to use a touchscreen and can still use windows 8 like we do with win 7.

We will no doubt be able to toggle between Metro(tablet form) and windows 8 desktop form. In face we can turn of Metro completely with a slight registry tweek.

In essence win 8 is more like a win 7 upgrade with Metro thrown in. As I use a tablet a lot I will be interested to see how it will work in win 8 Pro. Note that MS is offered win 8 Pro for the same price....$40 But I want to know if I can save the download to a folder rather than simply using the 'Run" command. I have no idea yet if one can uninstall and then revert back to win 7.

There are numerous sites showing the two desktops for windows 8 and "how to's" from those using the beta copy. I wish I had a space computer to try it out as I would not want to download the release candidate/beta. The secret will be how to switch between the two. Also I understand that windows media player will be offered as a download so it may not be part of the win 8 package. Metro already have a lot of neat apps but no where near what apple offers for the iPad. For apps a touchscreen is best.

With win 8 if you already have win 7 then it should be a simple roll over in which you keep your old settings, programs and files. I will nevertheless make backup copies of my folders to my Seagate just in case. windows live mail may be a bit different but with more features I think.

Aggie
   Reply  Top
yes, I read that  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Thu. 19 Jul., 2012 at 5:26:51 PM
In reply to: Aggie "suppose if you want to...."
about WMP being an app instead of coming with a system. I won't be jumping in any time too soon but will have fun playing with them at Best Buy. Our FS never seems to want to have up and running computers to test out. 
I know there is a lot of information out there for W 8 but I don't want to fill up my head with something I won't be using (yet)....Grin
We are buying a new monitor in the next few weeks but not sure if I want to Dollar Signhell out for a touch screen since by the time this computer needs replacing who knows where technology will be. *sigh*.

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
Just read your link  Actions...
Posted: by usedtobekarenr on Thu. 19 Jul., 2012 at 7:38:36 PM
In reply to: Aggie "Cheap windows 8 Pro if........"

and wonder - if you can only upgrade 1 machine with your $40, can you buy the $70 disc and thereby install in 2 machines?

usedtobekarenr
   Reply  Top
No mention yet.....  Actions...
Posted: by Aggie on Fri. 20 Jul., 2012 at 12:45:51 PM
In reply to: usedtobekarenr "Just read your link"

There is no mention yet of any 'Family Pack" as there was with win 7. But at $40 per machine its a steal over win 7. I paid $64 for win 7 (disk)  on a pre-release offer from MS with the final retail price being $128 for the upgrade.  I would think this $40 is US pricing who who know how much we will be gouged for a Canadian release......

At $40 it should this cheap or cheaper bearing in mind that will be in the form of a download from MS.com.  I only wish one could save this download to a disk or flashdrive but that I don't know. I'm sure there will be a rash of info as the release date nears......

Aggie
   Reply  Top
I also think  Actions...
Posted: by usedtobekarenr on Fri. 20 Jul., 2012 at 10:31:24 PM
In reply to: Aggie "No mention yet....."

$40 is a good deal.  Just will wait a while to see if it`s actually worth the bother.  I`ll be interested to hear reviews this fall.

usedtobekarenr
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »