home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

food & recipes
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
The cake is done :)  Actions...
Posted: by Simply_Trying on Thu. 19 Jul., 2012 at 6:40:45 PM

The bottom glove is made from Rice Crispy treat , the shine was achieved by brushing on sparkly red gel over the red Fondant.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau

Simply_Trying
   Reply  Top
Very nice!  Actions...
Posted: by MsGinny on Thu. 19 Jul., 2012 at 8:27:45 PM
In reply to: Simply_Trying "The cake is done :)"
They look amazing. Very clever and talented!

MsGinny
   Reply  Top
thanks  Actions...
Posted: by Simply_Trying on Thu. 19 Jul., 2012 at 8:48:26 PM
In reply to: MsGinny "Very nice!"
with the world of the internet, it`s like receiving free classes Grin

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau

Simply_Trying
   Reply  Top
Looks awesome ST!  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Thu. 19 Jul., 2012 at 10:34:12 PM
You did a great job!!  Your MIL will be delighted.    Enjoy the cake and the party.

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
Wow!  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Fri. 20 Jul., 2012 at 7:06:13 AM
I'm not into cake decorating (putting Playmobil people around a blue jello "pool" is about the extent of my ability or patience) but this is amazing! You must be so pleased with the results!

Marsha
   Reply  Top
When I was a teenager  Actions...
Posted: by Simply_Trying on Fri. 20 Jul., 2012 at 8:44:48 AM
In reply to: Marsha "Wow!"

the bug on cake decorating caught me when our winter carnival had a cake decorating contest .   I had done a Tropical beach , using brown sugar as the sand for the beach. The cakes were later auctionned of for charity.  I won among all the adults but being only 14 I was not able to attend the night time event lol.  

This Fondant style allows me to be more creative.  We are going to visit my parents in August and will be there for their wedding anniversary.  I will bring some of my supplies and I`m thinking a Loaf of bread with a slice laying on the board to represent my mom who at 76 still bakes lots of bread that she sells .  And resting on the board a Carpenter Saw to represent my dad who was a Contractor.

Henry David Thoreau

Simply_Trying
   Reply  Top
Will the saw be real or cake?  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Fri. 20 Jul., 2012 at 10:52:22 AM
In reply to: Simply_Trying "When I was a teenager"
Sounds wonderful.  Just yesterday, I met a friend for coffee and we were talking about a very swish bakery that opened here last summer. She bought a small peach cake there (she'd sent her son to get it) and she said it was 35 bucks for this small peach cake that didn't even have the cream cheese layer that they said it did.  She was really surprised by the small size and also how mediocre it was. She said she's also had carrot cake from them (one slice that she picked up) and said it was dry, had no raisins or pineapple and was far less tasty than anything she's ever made.  Of course, the attraction is being able to buy just one slice that she shares with her hubby and there isn't the whole cake sitting around the house, tempting her to have another slice...and another...and another.  Now, this bakery is "ethical" and "organic" and also makes gluten free stuff and is big on locally sourced products.  I said to my friend that they probably object to tinned pineapple since Dole and many other commercial growers don't have very ethical growing practices. But then we got to talking about all those cake shows and wondering  what the actual cakes taste like.  It looks like they just have these huge slabs of white cake - not particularly interesting or flavourful looking - sitting around and the only real focus is the "structure" - making a cake that looks like The Hindenburg or The Hobbit, rather than something that tastes good...

Anyway, I'm just off on a ramble but the emphasis does seem to have shifted a bit, at least on some of these cake shows.

Marsha
   Reply  Top
Yes you`re right  Actions...
Posted: by Simply_Trying on Fri. 20 Jul., 2012 at 3:05:05 PM
In reply to: Marsha "Will the saw be real or cake?"

That`s why for MIL`s cake I made a Rainbow cake (white cake with food coloring in the divided  batter) because not everyone likes chocolate , but to make the cake more flavourfull I added a cherry pie filling layer.

I do watch Cake Boss a lot and they do mention often that the cake must taste good as well as look good. The fillings they do seems real good.   

Cake Wars is another where they are judge on the taste of the cake as well.

I can`t imagine making cakes for selling as just the cost factor of making the cake is quite a bit. (Granted it would be cheaper in bulk if making more cakes) In the end , I spent $40 at the Bulk Barn just in ingredients and that was making my own Fondant.  I can only imagine what someone would charge for such a cake Shocked.  To have to pay a lot just so the cake does not taste good!!!

Henry David Thoreau

Simply_Trying
   Reply  Top
Wow!  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Sat. 21 Jul., 2012 at 11:35:51 AM
Great job, ST!  This looks fabulous.  Hope your mil gets a real kick out of this.  ;-)

"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"  Dr. Seuss

"Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does."  (unknown)

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."  George S. Patton

The poster formerly known as Writer Mom (stolen from Prince)  

dreamer16
   Reply  Top
All i can say is 'WOW'  Actions...
Posted: by cayer on Sat. 21 Jul., 2012 at 8:12:20 PM
It looks great!  Congratulations!

cayer
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »