home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

fitness & sport
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 2   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Starting "real" yoga tomorrow!  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Sat. 28 Jul., 2012 at 7:58:37 AM
My gym has yoga-based classes (Body Flow, Yoga Fit) and I've tried a few of them but for the most part, the instructors demonstrate and don't go around and correct.  At my age and with my bad knee and aging joints, I'm always worried about doing more harm than good by doing the poses incorrectly and I'm always struggling to "watch as I do" so after giving a few of the classes a "try", I stopped going.  Turns out that there is a really excellent yoga studio quite near me (and smack in the middle between my house and the school where I teach most often).  They have an excellent introductory special offer - 30 consecutive days of unlimited use for $30. That seems pretty hard to beat.  What I like most is that they have a lot of classes geared specifically to beginners. Tomorrow morning, they have an "absolute beginners" class/workshop and that will be my first class!  I'm both excited and nervous.  I got the nicest e-mail from their "yoga advisor" who is also the person who runs all their "restorative" classes (classes especially for those with injuries and limitations).  I know Carol/cp is very big on the benefits of yoga, as is one of my best friends (who, while a lawyer, is also a certified yoga instructor so when she's here to visit, she can give me pointers).  Anyway, I am really nervous about this but also very excited.  I just hope I can get up off the floor...that is one of the real challenges for me in any exercise.  Because my both knees are so bad (one worse than the other), getting up off the floor is a serious challenge!

Marsha
   Reply  Top
wow!  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Sat. 28 Jul., 2012 at 8:48:46 AM
In reply to: Marsha "Starting "real" yoga tomorrow!"
that's a great deal. Around here it's about $30 for one session, I love yoga classes but find it real hard to find anything here. City run classes are very limited & fill up quite quickly, so very discouraging to even go. I hear you about getting up off the floor, my back is bad so that's hard for me to. 

Hope you enjoy. 

Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
   Reply  Top
Many places here are pretty pricey too  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Sat. 28 Jul., 2012 at 9:18:17 AM
In reply to: Koda "wow!"
now, this is a "first time only" special - if you want unlimited passes, it is much more though drop ins are only 17 dollars (and you can get a 10 class pass for $135, which seems very reasonable).  I also like that they have something called "community classes" which are open to the public for a donation (they suggest 5 dollars but I guess if people don't have that much, they can still participate - the studio seems to want to make yoga available to all people, whether they have the luxury of money to spend or not).  Apparently, these community classes fill up very fast too - you can't register for them so it's "first come, first served" and I don't know if they have a limit on class sizes.  There is another studio that is even closer to home for me but they are much more expensive and as far as I can tell, don't have showers, etc. (it's housed in a very cute little heritage cottage, so I guess space is an issue there).  DH was just telling me that studies have found that those who practise yoga recover more quickly from strokes (heaven forbid that this becomes an issue) so I guess the benefits of yoga really are wide-reaching and for almost everyone.  Hey, with your back and my knees, maybe these places need to install patient lift/hoist things!  And of course, because I have to push myself up, my wrists are taking the brunt and they're starting to hurt too (I love doing push ups but my wrists have started giving me grief)

Marsha
   Reply  Top
it's frustrating  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Sat. 28 Jul., 2012 at 10:14:13 AM
In reply to: Marsha "Many places here are pretty pricey too"
but what can you do? 

Aqua size & swimming are easy on the joints. I'm a great swimmer, started when I was 3 years old so it's always been a part of my life. The doctor advised my parents to put me in swimming for my back, he was right & I'm glad they listened! 

Koda
   Reply  Top
I love yoga  Actions...
Posted: by Carol_cp on Sun. 29 Jul., 2012 at 8:19:47 AM
In reply to: Marsha "Many places here are pretty pricey too"
I belong to a private group of 6 wonderful women.We've been together for 12 years .We meet weekly in the home of one of the women.Our teacher is wonderful and has studied and practiced yoga all of her life.And that's the key.There are so many truly unqualified teachers out there.They take these quicky courses and teach.Injuries can and do happen at yoga so it's important that the teacher takes the time to come around and correct the moves/She is in her late 40's and she is warm and understanding.Over the years she has even included some variations of yoga poses for us to accomodate the different "issues" with each person.

On the other days I go to the Y to do  aquafit of use the machines.We belong to the executive club there so we have our own gym.I've made lots of great women there,especially the ones who are well into their 80's and come there daily to work out..It's wonderful incentive to go their and keep up doing whatever it is that you enjoy to keep fit.

Carol_cp
   Reply  Top
I was hoping you'd post, Carol  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Sun. 29 Jul., 2012 at 8:44:13 AM
In reply to: Carol_cp "I love yoga"
As you see, I referred to you earlier (in my first post, I think).  I think you've met my friend who is a yoga instructor (she's also a lawyer...I think she's been to one M&G and you might have met her there).  Most of the instructors at this studio seem well qualified, particularly the 2 I'll be dealing with (the owner, who is doing today's workshop and the advisor, who teaches the "Restorative" classes).  It goes without saying that I just won't do things that hurt or that don't work for me.  Of course, at first, just about everything will be difficult and "not work".  Even my friend says there are things she avoids and she really dislikes one style of yoga where you hold poses for extended periods (is it "Yin"?  I dunno but she told me to avoid certain classes) and to go for things like Gentle Hatha and the Fundamentals classes that teach the poses and moves in isolation so you can master them without worrying about how they flow one to the next (which really suits me while I'm learning).  I don't plan on abandoning the gym at all - it's much more my sort of activity (at least I think it is) and I'm hoping that what I learn at the studio will help me be able to get something out of the yoga classes at the gym once my membership at the studio expires, although I have the feeling I will still purchase "drop in" passes if I find it helpful.

Marsha
   Reply  Top
hope you enjoy it  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Sat. 28 Jul., 2012 at 9:46:43 AM

yoga can be transformative.  I have been practicing for years and have a practice at home when I am unable to get to classes.

Yoga might very well help you with your knee problems.  Be sure to inform the teacher exactly what is going on with your body before you start.

When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. ― Bob Dylan

The poster formerly known as plexy (stolen from Jack Johnson)  and before that known as sexyplexy (nickname just for fun!)  ;)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
I'm not really a yoga type of person  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Sat. 28 Jul., 2012 at 3:34:19 PM
In reply to: a.doll "hope you enjoy it"
In reality, I'm just not a "yoga type"...I like to move fast, lift weights, boogie, move and then collapse later - all that "relax your big toe" stuff during shavasanas just drives me wild.  And all that "namaste" stuff - for crying out loud, we're mostly Canadians.  We don't say "buona sera" when we pick up a pizza.  I'll probably get turfed out the door for refusing to say "namaste" and saying "Ciao, baby" instead....they'll boot me out for throwing everyone chakras off balance!

But I am hoping it will be helpful for my knee - in fact, I'm pretty sure it will be.  And as I said, they know about my issues - the woman who does the restorative yoga classes emailed me the other day and we had a very nice exchange - she was so welcoming and reassuring.  But I have my issues with the whole "culture" - the website asks you not to wear fragrance or use scented products in the showers but the whole studio reeks of joss sticks.  I mean, come ON!!!! 

Marsha
   Reply  Top
well  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Sat. 28 Jul., 2012 at 4:03:02 PM
In reply to: Marsha "I'm not really a yoga type of person"
maybe you will surprise yourself & enjoy it. 

I don't really look at Yoga as a 'culture', more of a lifestyle which enhances your life. Just like every other workout or diet or whatever you do, it brings something additional to your life. 

I hope it does help your knee but maybe you should consider some physio therapy in the water, that might also help. If not you can do simple exercises in the pool on your own, very easy on the joints.

Koda
   Reply  Top
I've done physio  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Sat. 28 Jul., 2012 at 4:55:13 PM
In reply to: Koda "well"
after my surgery, I had a long course of physio (thank goodness for DH's very comprehensive benefits because, here in Ontario, physiotherapy is one of the many things no longer covered by provincial health care).  I absolutely dislike being in water....always did and still do. My dept. head loved water aerobics. I think she goes at least 3 times a week and it was key in her helping get mobility back after she fell and literally shattered her shoulder.  See, the thing is I know what exercises to do (and, more importantly, what ones to avoid). And the reality is that there is nothing that will "fix" my knee...there is no cartilage and so it is bone on bone and, really, until they figure out a way to grow new cartilage or transplant it, this will be my situation and that of many others far worse than I am.  I am just frustrated - frustrated at not being able to go for a run, frustrated that nothing I do can really improve things (heck, nails grow, hair grows and lord knows my waistline grows, why can't cartilage?)  I actually plan on going back to my physio in the next few weeks for a bit of refresher re good exercises (I still have the print outs she gave me for some of them; others I passed on to this guy who was also having the same surgery and had no coverage at all for physio).  The nice thing about the physio is they have the TIME to talk to you, far more than my family/sports med. doc.

The thing about yoga - from my POV - is that it's exercise; exercise that might help me a great deal in terms of flexibility and with my poor knee.  But all that "namaste" stuff and candles and joss sticks....well...it just seems a bit "cultish" (and I don't mean to offend anyone by that but when you adopt any other workout regime or diet, you don't go around saying "All praise South Beach" or "Adios mi Zumba chicas".  Does that make any sense at all.  I've done yoga classes before and my friend has done yoga with me and DH when she has been here to visit.  The thing is that I really want to do it well ("well" in the sense that I don't hurt myself, overdo it in the early days and get the most benefit I can - I don't care about doing it "well" in terms of being the most flexible person in the class) and I think these small classes are my best bet. I actually phoned the studio earlier today to ask how many had registered for this workshop - the Absolute Beginners one - and there are only 8 people which seems ideal....I'd hate to be the only one there but this is small enough that there will be a lot of individual attention and correction, which is totally what I need.

Marsha
edited Sat. 28 Jul., 2012 @ 5:00:39 PM by Marsha

Reply  Top
yes  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Sat. 28 Jul., 2012 at 8:00:34 PM
In reply to: Marsha "I've done physio"
I know a little about cartilage, sprained my right ankle 3 times now & know it will never be the same. The last time was Dec 31st last year, still dealing with it & there is nothing that can fix that either. 

Being in the water won't fix your knee but it would be less painful to do exercises in the water, it's too bad that you don't like it. 

For me being in the water is natural, I grew up around & in the water. 

I hope the Yoga helps your knee.

Koda
   Reply  Top
Exercises don't hurt  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Sat. 28 Jul., 2012 at 9:37:44 PM
In reply to: Koda "yes"
I'm pretty careful with what I do and don't do (lunges are not good for me....I end up with "bad pain").  It's just every day life things that are the issue - like we joked about earlier, getting up from the floor, kneeling down or crouching to weed in the garden.  Earlier this afternoon, DH and I were outside painting 2 Muskoka chairs and I had a devil of time getting off the ground (I was sitting on the lawn to paint some of the lower slats).  It's the every day things that I can't do any longer with ease (and sleeping was becoming more painful but since having the Synvisc injection on Monday, I am sleeping pretty much pain-free, which is nice).

It's funny, I also grew up around water - my dad had a boat and I loved going out on it and also fishing.  My mom and 2 aunts were avid swimmers. They were also speed skaters.  And I have never liked either swimming or skating!

Marsha
   Reply  Top
Being  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Sun. 29 Jul., 2012 at 12:07:18 PM
In reply to: Marsha "Exercises don't hurt"
in the water just makes my body feel good, works for me anyways. My Mom doesn't like water so just sat on the beach or whatever reading. My husband & daughter don't swim, it's just my son & I. 

Yeah, skating isn't really for me, I used to go with my kids when they were young but was always afraid of falling & hurting my back. In fact, I did fall once & put out my hand which now is suffering with some arthritis. But skating is my husband's thing, he grew up in Thunder Bay, so lived hockey. 

Koda
   Reply  Top
I'm back, I survived and I loved it  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Sun. 29 Jul., 2012 at 12:59:49 PM
The class was small (though larger than when I checked the #'s yesterday) and there were people with far more serious injuries, etc. than mine.  The class moved slowly, the instructor explained really well, corrected us, helped us modify, got bolsters for those of us who needed them at certain points an we had a lot of laughs as well as some of us grunted or groaned while trying to do different things.  There was a good question period afterward that was so informative and reassuring (my biggest concern was not keeping my breathing co-ordinated with the poses/movements but she said that this is one of the hardest things and comes with practice).  Unfortunately, the class I wanted to attend this evening (Restorative) is full now, so that's a bummer but I'll catch one later on.

Marsha
   Reply  Top
that's good  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Sun. 29 Jul., 2012 at 3:35:10 PM
In reply to: Marsha "I'm back, I survived and I loved it"
yes, there are alway going to be others worse off than us. That's what I find helpful about classes, getting the tips & information that an instructor can give us.

I went for a hike this morning, enjoyed the beautiful day (we haven't had that many this summer). 

Koda
   Reply  Top
Good to hear  Actions...
Posted: by Carol_cp on Sun. 29 Jul., 2012 at 4:07:19 PM
In reply to: Marsha "I'm back, I survived and I loved it"
Yes,the breathing is hard to master.I find it useful to be able to do this while doing aquafit,in particular when I do the deep class.I can still remember doing my first downward dog.I thought,what am I doing here.It's nothing after a while and in fact,I find it very relaxing.I am the most flexible one in the class and I know that having mastered the breathing early on helped me to achieve this.

Carol_cp
edited Sun. 29 Jul., 2012 @ 4:07:43 PM by Carol_cp

Reply  Top
....and I'm feeling it today, I can tell you!  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Mon. 30 Jul., 2012 at 7:52:06 AM
I have a fairly good fitness level, barring the few things I can't/don't do because of my knee but holy moly, do I ever feel "yesterday" today.  I've got "good pain" in this weird area sort of near the back of my hips and I figure it can only be from one of 2 things - this hip tilting thing we did when we were in the Warrior pose or else one of the leg stretches using a strap (man, is THAT ever great...I need to learn exactly what we did so I can do it at home) when we used the strap to guide the stretched leg out to the side.  This is a whole area that I must never have used before!  And WOW!

I had planned to go to Body Pump at noon today and follow up with some cardio, now that my "limitation period" has passed but now I'm not so sure....  I might just wait and go to the "sweat, relax, restore" class at the yoga studio just before bed-time tonight!

Marsha
   Reply  Top
and people  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Mon. 30 Jul., 2012 at 10:13:02 AM
In reply to: Marsha "....and I'm feeling it today, I can tell you!"
say Yoga isn't exercise, surprise. 

I once watched a video of a man who had been injured in a car accident, he sat on the sofa & gained an excessive amount of weight. Anyways, he was watching tv & saw someone talking about Yoga, he went out & bought a DVD doing yoga at home. He proceeded to lose over 100lbs over a year & he could walk without his cane. 

Koda
   Reply  Top
Yoga  Actions...
Posted: by weisz1212 on Fri. 14 Sep., 2012 at 1:42:38 AM
In reply to: Koda "and people"
Yoga is a very beneficial exercise for mind as well as body. Many individuals have benefited from this exercise a lot and are living a stress free life. I myself practice it almost daily for my mental well-being.

weisz1212
   Reply  Top
I bought a Yoga dvd today Rodney Yee  Actions...
Posted: by _temp_ on Sat. 15 Sep., 2012 at 5:20:43 PM
I just don't want to join anything right now so I decided to buy this dvd and it is pretty good
there are 3 dvd's in it beginner yoga, power yoga and yoga burn
www.yeeyoga.com

_temp_
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 2   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »