home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

home & garden
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 2   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Do you use your dining room alot?  Actions...
Posted: by sue_43 on Thu. 9 Aug., 2012 at 11:51:25 AM
   So our new house has a dining room, which will be great for holiday dinners, but i am thinking it will be one of those rooms that never gets "used". (except for family get-togethers)...   we are so use to eating on the living room couch..i know, i know.....shame on me,,,but at this age it is a hard habit to break.  I am willing to use it if hubby would join me but thats another story.

How can i make that room more inviting?  Its 11X12, right now in it i have a floor lamp , small kitchen table & 4 chairs , a microwave stand & a CD stereo..  Undecided

sue_43
edited Thu. 9 Aug., 2012 @ 11:51:47 AM by sue_43

Reply  Top
Reply  Actions...
Posted: by Carol_cp on Thu. 9 Aug., 2012 at 11:58:52 AM
In reply to: sue_43 "Do you use your dining room alot?"
It sounds like you have already moved in. You had posted in the past about some concerns you had about the house that you have purchased.Were these concerns addressed by your lawyer and realtor?

As for the dining room,perhaps you could use it to eat your dinner and watch tv from that rather than eating on the couch. Unless you intend to use the space for something else and don't have a dining room table,then just leave it as is.

DH and I eat at the dining room table every night.No sense keeping it for company.

Carol_cp
edited Thu. 9 Aug., 2012 @ 12:00:56 PM by Carol_cp

Reply  Top
actually  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Thu. 9 Aug., 2012 at 12:24:51 PM
most every day, I only have two seats in the kitchen area at the counter so yes when there is more than two of us we eat in the dining room. My house is fairly casual, I wish that my kitchen/dining room were more open concept but oh well. 

My dining room is so small, it's really getting hard to have family dinners in there now that our family is growing. 

Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
   Reply  Top
yes we use it  Actions...
Posted: by linds123 on Thu. 9 Aug., 2012 at 1:21:22 PM
Yes, what happened with the issues with your house?  Did you get them sorted out with the lawyer or realtor?

I love a dining room.  I don't like eating while sitting on a couch; just find it messy to balance everything, and so anti social. We use our dining room a lot, for meal times to chat, though if I were on my own, I might watch tv, but I'd still sit at the table.  Our kids also like using the dining room table for home work and to set up big projects.  The key to me, is that it must be comfortable, nice chairs where we're happy to sit and talk even after the meal has finished.

Does the microwave stand have to be in the dining room, or is that for the stereo?  Could the room use a coat of paint?  Some nice pictures?

linds123
   Reply  Top
dual use room  Actions...
Posted: by Pookie3 on Thu. 9 Aug., 2012 at 1:54:03 PM
We have a dining room that is all in one with the living room.  I have a dining table and buffet but it is almost never used for dining. We've been here 4 years and we ate in it once.  DH usually eats at the kitchen table so he can see the TV. I either join him or eat on the couch.

At first I considered it such a waste of space so I got to thinking and turned it into a hobby/music room.  It still looks like a dining room to the casual observer because I couldn't get rid of the furniture.  However the buffet contains music books and craft supplies.  Various instruments find space along the wall.  Even though I have my own sewing studio in the basement I use the huge oak table to cut out fabric and baste quilts.  Other times I use it as a painting table.  It is nicked and scratched a bit but I consider that character.  I would love to replace the buffet with bookcases but DH won't part with it.

Can you find a second purpose for the room?  Maybe get rid of the microwave stand and replace it with a small wall unit that would house your stereo and other.  Peter Walsh's book "It is all too much" has caused me to rethink how my home is used.  A dining room that gets only used on holidays is a waste of valuable real estate in your home.

Pookie3
   Reply  Top
Sue, do you have an eat in kitchen?  Actions...
Posted: by Tag on Thu. 9 Aug., 2012 at 1:59:59 PM
Our dining room is quite formal. Only a walnut dining set, a Duncan Phyfe china cabinet and a long serving table. A huge old mirror and a large painting on the other wall.
To tell the truth it is more like a filing cabinet on the table. I am ashamed to say that I drop everything on it until I have to sort it and remove it. My Mother was the same way and I told myself I would never do that.
We only use it if company is here and we do have a large eat in kitchen so really it rarely gets used (except for the filing)  :)

You haven't really been in there very long so why not wait a while to you become more comfortable with the surroundings. JMHO

Meandering To A Different Drummer

Tag
   Reply  Top
Always  Actions...
Posted: by wyliesharon on Thu. 9 Aug., 2012 at 2:50:05 PM
My husband and I always eat at the dining room table.First of all get rid of the microwave stand and put it in your kitchen.If you make it more appealing looking you and your husband actually may enjoy eating in there.Does your kitchen have room for your old table and chairs. If so buy a nice table and chairs, you don't have to spend a lot.Also a chandelier of some sort helps center the room.If you have a good looking  shelving unit or bookshelves you could add that too.Paint it a different color, throw up some mirrors or paintings and that will help warm up the room.
 In my other apartment I set up my dining room in a  spare bedroom and I loved it.  Music is nice to have in the dining room but hide the unit somehow.You should post a pic if you can.

wyliesharon
   Reply  Top
thanks....(pic)  Actions...
Posted: by sue_43 on Thu. 9 Aug., 2012 at 5:51:04 PM
In reply to: wyliesharon "Always"

thanks for all your suggestions.  I am thinking once we get some new furniture I will WANT to use it alot more.   I hate to even post this pic b/c it is so cluttered.  everything seems to migrate toward the island that is dividing the kitchen & dining room.  (we just painted the dining side)
  there were some issues with the house but everything has worked out.  (although we have quite a mouse problem) 
 Hubby wants to buy a hutch to display "stuff"..i think its a waste of space, I dunno.  I was thinking of buying some bar stools for the island area.

Undecided

sue_43
   Reply  Top
not really  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Thu. 9 Aug., 2012 at 6:15:51 PM
In reply to: sue_43 "thanks....(pic)"
sure where you are talking about putting bar stools, there doesn't seem to be a counter or ledge to eat at? 

This photo feels a bit confusing, looks like a hallway, is your dining room on the left & kitchen on the right? I think buying a hutch is good for some storage more so than a display area. 

Koda
   Reply  Top
yes..  Actions...
Posted: by sue_43 on Thu. 9 Aug., 2012 at 7:31:50 PM
In reply to: Koda "not really"
yes dining room is on the left...its hard to see (bad angle)  Im standing in the entrance to the living room.  there really is no "ledge" but there is an island/counter. I would put the stools where the clock is.
ok..maybe a bad idea....

hubby & I are butting heads picking out dining room chairs..i want padded & comfortable, he wants cherrywood & formal...ouch.  ;-(

sue_43
   Reply  Top
yeah  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Thu. 9 Aug., 2012 at 8:12:18 PM
In reply to: sue_43 "yes.."
can't really see how big/small your dining room is. Are you formal people? We're not too formal around here, so padded chairs is what we have. Mind you it came as a set so that's what we got. It just doesn't look like bar stools would work because there is no overhang for your drink/food items so your knees would probably bang against the wall? I have a couple of bar stools in my kitchen at a counter overhang, we don't use them much because it's cramped & you can't really fit plates on the overhang.

I'm no decorator but I do have good taste, lol, so my husband says Wink. Usually end up going with my ideas because he has taste like his mom, kind of bad.

One bit of advice, measure your space & draw it out on a piece of paper before you go shopping. 

Koda
   Reply  Top
how about  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Fri. 10 Aug., 2012 at 1:27:36 AM
In reply to: sue_43 "yes.."
a compromise? You can have semi formal or snazzy causalGrin- this set comes in  counter or regular height and can be smallish to seat 4 (round) or oval with the leaf inserted.
That cut out is really only a pass though- bar stools would not work. A hutch is very practical- great place to store all kinds of things....nice tableware/cutlery/linens....and a few ornaments. 
Padded chairs are not practical and are harder to clean than leather seats. 
Here is one I like (actually I am looking at it as DH surprised me with the counter height set  for my birthday! Heartbeat).

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
edited Fri. 10 Aug., 2012 @ 1:36:32 AM by green_sleeves
edited Fri. 10 Aug., 2012 @ 1:50:52 AM by green_sleeves

Reply  Top
like it...  Actions...
Posted: by sue_43 on Fri. 10 Aug., 2012 at 2:09:03 PM
In reply to: green_sleeves "how about"
i like that set..although i would want the backs of the chairs to be padded, theres nothing i hate more than wood digging into my back.   I like the "pub" style sets while hubby is more traditional.  he says it will be easier to get in & out of the chairs the older we get...i dont know about that.

sue_43
   Reply  Top
this is a  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Fri. 10 Aug., 2012 at 2:16:25 PM
In reply to: sue_43 "like it..."
nice set, but going to have to agree with your hubby, I don't like the pub style chairs either. I have a bad back & find it really uncomfortable to hold my feet up off the floor even when there is a bar for them. They are also not great if you are going to have any kids sitting at your table. 

Koda
   Reply  Top
lots of choices  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Fri. 10 Aug., 2012 at 3:06:55 PM
In reply to: sue_43 "like it..."
in chairs- these chairs are what we liked, you can get similar chairs with padded backs. Both me & DH have bad backs and find it so much easier now to slide on and off the chairs. Not falling into the chair and pushing to get out and up any more. Thumb up
Getting things from  the table requires no bending.
I agree, counter height is not for everyone and if there are young children or short people it would not be practical.
For our needs I love this style, it comes in traditional height too (and easy to get padded back chairs) but after sitting on both the higher one was for us. I think the counter height might look silly/out of place in a 'formalish' dining room. Ours is used as a kitchen set.
I notice when I sit at the table I am not leaning back into the back of the chairs anyway. If I needed padding I could get a washable pad that ties on.  My last set had leatherette padding on the back Sick and it tore over time so this time I took all chance of that happening again away lol. 
The chair seat is very easy to repair if needed. 

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
For sure some paint!  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Fri. 10 Aug., 2012 at 6:08:01 PM
You could really warm that room up with some paint. It looks like there's an interesting ceiling feature - sort of arches or something so you can make those stand out too.  I don't know if I'd go with stools in that corner...it looks like the room isn't really large (hard to tell from the pics) and so having a table and 4 to 6 chairs and then some stools by that ledge would make it look cluttered rather than inviting.   And some nice curtains/drapes on that window - they don't have to be fussy; in fact, I'd go for classic and simple - would also make the room look like "something special".

Marsha
   Reply  Top
Okay, take a look at THIS....  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Fri. 10 Aug., 2012 at 6:11:06 PM
while I'm not wild about the "ghost chairs" (they're clear on a steel or chrome frame) this room has a very similar set up to yours, including the window, the hatch through to the kitchen and the ledge.

Marsha
   Reply  Top
Nice!  Actions...
Posted: by sue_43 on Fri. 10 Aug., 2012 at 8:49:33 PM
In reply to: Marsha "Okay, take a look at THIS...."
that is very nice & bright!  I love the curtains too, will for sure consider putting up long bright drapes.
  about the colour......when we moved in the room was Burgandy.  & we just painted it that "taupy" shade  (natural wheat by CIL)   ...it almost matched the current colour of the kitchen....but you can see the paint line that divides the room...so just going to carry on with the taupe in the kitchen.

I am leaving the light fixture for now..its like a crystal bowl.  But i am looking for a new kitchen light fixture...i have no idea.   ;-( 

sue_43
   Reply  Top
What about painting the trim?  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Sat. 11 Aug., 2012 at 9:10:36 PM
In reply to: sue_43 "Nice!"
Painting the baseboards and window trim white would really improve the look of the room.  And I'd take down the clock and put a large print or some piece of "art" (again, doesn't have to be pricey "real" art) to start giving the room some character.  Then you could pull some of the colour out of the print/painting/poster to use for little details in the rest of the room.  That would help you start making the room look like something that wasn't just "thrown together" because you don't know what else to do with it.  As someone else suggested, I'd take out the microwave and some of the other "non-dining room" items you have in there.

Marsha
   Reply  Top
is there panelling on the walls  Actions...
Posted: by tigsw_tigsw on Sun. 12 Aug., 2012 at 5:46:58 PM
not sure...hard to tell. I always try to avoid the clutter look and feature colour. I have little on the walls anywhere. I think that is a pass through between the kitchen and dining room...very convenient, however if possible, I would take down the wall between the two rooms and open it up. That would mean a new floor but things do not have to be expensive. The hutch would fit in nicely then too.

MUSKOKA IS THE NAME NOT THE MUSKOKAS

see facebook page 

If everyone walked on the right hand side when in a crowd you would not bump into each other.                               

█ ♥ █ C a n a d a

tigsw_tigsw
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 2   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »