home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

general forum
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Bridesmaid dress  Actions...
Posted: by shutterbug on Mon. 11 Jun., 2012 at 1:44:25 PM
What is the protocol on wearing a bridesmaid dress prior to the wedding it's meant for? I haven't Googled this yet; thought I'd pit-stop here first.

shutterbug
   Reply  Top
Don't  Actions...
Posted: by ABmom99 on Mon. 11 Jun., 2012 at 1:51:46 PM
In reply to: shutterbug "Bridesmaid dress"
is my gut reaction- not sure if there's a rule or protocol though.  If there's a specific dress bridesmaids are wearing - its chosen just for the wedding. I'm sure if the event/crowd is different than the wedding no one would know the difference... but on the 'what if'' something happens that causes damage to the dress you'll be in a real pickle - stain, tear, etc.  After the wedding the dress is the bridesmaid's to do as she pleases - sell, wear to any other occasion, alter etc. Before the wedding though I'd really not wear it for anything - and as a bride, I'd hope bridesmaids would respect that as well.

ABmom99
   Reply  Top
I Googled  Actions...
Posted: by shutterbug on Mon. 11 Jun., 2012 at 2:05:49 PM
In reply to: ABmom99 "Don't"
And there doesn't seem to be much protocol, unless the bride bought the bridesmaid dress, then wearing it prior to the wedding resounded in a definite no. It seemed to be OK if the crowd was different than the wedding crowd. I put myself in a bride's position, and really wouldn't care if they wore it (unless I paid for it), and unless they came to my wedding dirty/stained. I'll ask my friend what she thinks.

shutterbug
   Reply  Top
I also wouldn't  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Mon. 11 Jun., 2012 at 3:13:26 PM
if someone spilled red wine on you or you dripped chocolate or pasta sauce on it or ripped it - to me, it just wouldn't be worth the worry.  Also, even if you paid for it yourself, you did buy it for the wedding and because of the wedding so it seems only "right" that you save its "premiere outing" for that event.  JMO, of course....but I agree with ABmom

Marsha
   Reply  Top
Except for the staining etc issue  Actions...
Posted: by catsknit on Mon. 11 Jun., 2012 at 3:14:06 PM

I can't see that it would be a problem in general, although some brides might object.

Are you the bridesmaid, wanting to wear your dress before the event?  Please describe the dress, just because I would love to hear what you are wearing ;-)

I have been a bridesmaid /MOH three times. Once for my sister--we all wore turquoise satin dresses (okay, it was 25 years ago!!) and those would not go elsewhere, lol.  Once for my cousin and I wore a borrowed dress (we were lucky it fit perfectly!) and once for a friend where I bought the dress and turned up on the day in it.  She would not have known or cared. 
I only had a MOH--I bought the fabric and shipped it, and she paid the dressmaker.  If she had worn it in advance I would not have known or cared, except for staining or damage as already mentioned.  However, if something had gone wrong, she would have had a terrible time replacing the fabric /colour (which is why I bought it and shipped it to her). 

Rule Britannia!  Britannia Rules the Waves . . . . .

catsknit
   Reply  Top
Oh sure  Actions...
Posted: by shutterbug on Mon. 11 Jun., 2012 at 3:20:50 PM
In reply to: catsknit "Except for the staining etc issue"
Both of us were allowed to choose our own dress. The only stipulations being that it had to be black and cocktail length. Here's my dress (except in black; not coral):
http://www.dessy.com/dresses/bridesmaid/D530/#.T9ZEcvHVEiU

It's something that I really like, and also plan on wearing it when I get headshots done, whenever that will be. Sometime when the weather is nice, as I want them to be outdoors.

shutterbug
   Reply  Top
what an adorable dress!  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Tue. 12 Jun., 2012 at 11:50:02 AM
In reply to: shutterbug "Oh sure"

I say wear it when you want to - it is your dress!

When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. ― Bob Dylan

The poster formerly known as plexy (stolen from Jack Johnson)  and before that known as sexyplexy (nickname just for fun!)  ;)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
Reply  Actions...
Posted: by Carol_cp on Mon. 11 Jun., 2012 at 3:21:29 PM
In this day and age,I think anything goes.

My futue DIL just went through this. She was a bridesmaid twice in one month.To one wedding,she lucked in and the colour of the dress for that wedding was the same colour as the dress she wore to her engagement party so she used that.

For the second wedding,the bride's colour was hot pink.There was no way she was going to pay good money for a hot pink dress that she would never wear again.She found an online site where you order the dress.made to measure from overseas.All in,including shipping,it came to one hundred dollars.The fit was perfect and it looked great on her and in the pictures.

So then,for sure I would say you could go ahead and wear it .

Carol_cp
   Reply  Top
I would not wear it  Actions...
Posted: by tigsw_tigsw on Mon. 11 Jun., 2012 at 5:49:47 PM
before the wedding...comes under the idea of respect for the bride and groom.."hey look she is too cheap to buy a dress for her special friend's wedding....she wore that same dress to the drunk celebration at Max's two weeks ago...boy that is friendship for you"

People do talk and take things differently than what you might think..I am talking about people of all ages. I am positive my gd and her friends would feel exactly the same way. Do not wear the dress before the wedding. After the wedding ,it does not matter how many times you wear it.

MUSKOKA IS THE NAME NOT THE MUSKOKAS

see facebook page 

If everyone walked on the right hand side when in a crowd you would not bump into each other.                               

█ ♥ █ C a n a d a

tigsw_tigsw
   Reply  Top
you're making several assumptions here tigsw  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Tue. 12 Jun., 2012 at 1:19:23 PM
In reply to: tigsw_tigsw "I would not wear it"

like the OP makes it a habit of participating in boozy parties.  I see your point though.  I guess it depends on the company the OP keeps.

When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. ― Bob Dylan

The poster formerly known as plexy (stolen from Jack Johnson)  and before that known as sexyplexy (nickname just for fun!)  ;)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
Strange how different people read posts.  Actions...
Posted: by tigsw_tigsw on Tue. 12 Jun., 2012 at 3:37:49 PM
In reply to: a.doll "you're making several assumptions here tigsw"

MUSKOKA IS THE NAME NOT THE MUSKOKAS

see facebook page 

If everyone walked on the right hand side when in a crowd you would not bump into each other.                               

█ ♥ █ C a n a d a

tigsw_tigsw
   Reply  Top
if the dress  Actions...
Posted: by Simply_Trying on Mon. 11 Jun., 2012 at 8:16:18 PM
is the same as the other bridesmaid, should you have to have it dry cleaned , it may look differant in colour and "texture" then when brand spanking knew . Just my 2 cents.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau

Simply_Trying
   Reply  Top
I don't  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Mon. 11 Jun., 2012 at 8:26:35 PM
know anything about the protocol or etiquette of wearing a bridesmaid dress before the wedding, but I would never even think of doing that. The dress is bought for a special occasion & until that day happens it hangs in the closet, afterwards it doesn't matter. 

Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
   Reply  Top
I just think that is too tacky.  Actions...
Posted: by KikiDEE on Tue. 12 Jun., 2012 at 8:57:57 AM

There seems to be no protocol for anything anymore. People just do what they want when they want. I think it is selfish.

You were given the honour of being asked to be someone's bridemaid but what does that matter when you want to wear this dress purchased for that purpose to a previous occasion. Surely you have another dress.

Do what you want as I am sure you will if you are even considering it in the first place. It would have never occured to me but then nothing surprises me anymore in this day and age.

Maybe ask the bride what she thinks.

Y=^..^=Y

Semper ubi sub ubi!

KikiDEE
   Reply  Top
I will check with the bride  Actions...
Posted: by shutterbug on Tue. 12 Jun., 2012 at 11:51:48 AM
to see what she thinks. I do think she won't care only because she doesn't really care to have the wedding in the first place. The dress is different than the other girl, and I don't plan on getting drunk in it. Someone had mentioned drunkenness, and I've actually never been drunk and don't plan to start that behaviour now. I'm not too cheap to buy another dress, but this one is the nicest that I now have, and I need to get headshots done. I want to get them done outside in nice weather and they cannot wait another year as there is a website launch happening. At any rate, I will check with my bride girlfriend. If she says no, then I don't wear it and get casual shots done. No biggie, really.

shutterbug
   Reply  Top
your friend  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Tue. 12 Jun., 2012 at 11:57:15 AM
In reply to: shutterbug "I will check with the bride"
doesn't want to have the wedding? 
Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
   Reply  Top
who mentioned drunkenness...lol...  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Tue. 12 Jun., 2012 at 12:08:40 PM
In reply to: shutterbug "I will check with the bride"

I didn't see that anywhere!  Perhaps when Marsha suggested you might get jostled and spill something on your dress...?

Anyway, it is a very pretty dress.  I have a lovely turquoise (rayon) dress hanging in my closet from my sis-in-law's wedding that I will shorten to wear for the summer.  The colour is a little bright for any other time of the year and the fabric a little bright but too pretty to just have hanging in the closet.

Your dress is lovely without doing a thing to it - enjoy it!

a.doll
   Reply  Top
Pretty!  Actions...
Posted: by shutterbug on Tue. 12 Jun., 2012 at 12:18:07 PM
In reply to: a.doll "who mentioned drunkenness...lol..."
a.doll, your turquoise rayon sounds lovely!
Koda, no, she doesn't want to have the wedding, although she wants to be married; just without the big to-do.

shutterbug
   Reply  Top
Check twigs's post  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Tue. 12 Jun., 2012 at 12:49:07 PM
In reply to: a.doll "who mentioned drunkenness...lol..."
She makes reference to a drunken bash or something like that.

Marsha
   Reply  Top
I agree with you  Actions...
Posted: by krissie on Tue. 12 Jun., 2012 at 5:41:11 PM
checking with the bride first.  Nowadays, anything goes.

krissie
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »