home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

home & garden
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 2 of 2   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
yup  Actions...
Posted: by daffodil_ on Mon. 23 Jul., 2012 at 2:19:46 PM
In reply to: dreamer16 "..."
I traveled constantly as a teen/twenty something, and it was nice to know I could come and go and leave things with my parents.  While I like an uncluttered home and am always donating items, I hope my kids know that they are always welcome to store stuff in my home, including themselves (:.

It's why we're having a hard time when thinking of downsizing as we always want room for the kids, their friends and maybe their kids.  I'm sure I'll be looking for high chairs and stuff to keep at our home, in order to encourage them to visit. I know a couple of people who actually 'up-sized' when they had grandchildren!

daffodil_
edited Mon. 23 Jul., 2012 @ 2:49:55 PM by daffodil_

Reply  Top
My M-I-L  Actions...
Posted: by Queen_B on Mon. 23 Jul., 2012 at 3:34:21 PM
In reply to: daffodil_ "yup"
is quite a neat-freak, and she has an obsession about clean floors (washes them several times a week). However, she adores her grandchildren. Nothing matters more to her, and she bought a high chair, toys, and books to have on hand when they were young. None of these were necessities, but it did make visiting her easier, and it certainly made us feel very welcome to bring our children there. :^)
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours shine any brighter.

Queen_B
   Reply  Top
Yes  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Tue. 24 Jul., 2012 at 2:19:10 PM
In reply to: Queen_B "My M-I-L"
Neat-freak or not, it's the actual environment and whether it's welcoming that matters.  My mother didn't have anything that was kid-friendly on hand, and her entire manner was cold and unfriendly.  She was more interested in getting on with life back then, so it was adults she was more interested in seeing.  That was fine, but it definitely wasn't a welcoming environment.  I don't want that for my grandchildren or for any others who visit my home.

"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"  Dr. Seuss

"Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does."  (unknown)

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."  George S. Patton

The poster formerly known as Writer Mom (stolen from Prince)  

dreamer16
   Reply  Top
Same here  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Tue. 24 Jul., 2012 at 2:12:33 PM
In reply to: daffodil_ "yup"
I always knew I had a home with my parents and could leave stuff there, if need be.  I want the same for my kids.  I too prefer an uncluttered home and am always donating items, but in this ridiculously small place, occasionally it does get overwhelming.  In my case I use I fold up/stacking table and chairs to make this space work for larger crowds for eating, etc., but it would be nice to have some extra space for other purposes.  :-)  I wouldn't downsize until you've worked out how you can incorporate all of your family needs into this smaller space.  In my case, I didn't have a choice, but you do.  :-)

"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"  Dr. Seuss

"Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does."  (unknown)

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."  George S. Patton

The poster formerly known as Writer Mom (stolen from Prince)  

dreamer16
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 2 of 2   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »