home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

home & garden
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
What advice would you give to first-time gardeners?  Actions...
Posted: by Chatelaine_Team on Wed. 27 Jun., 2012 at 4:53:59 PM
What has been your most successful crop so far?

Chatelaine_Team
   Reply  Top
My advice:  Actions...
Posted: by catsknit on Wed. 27 Jun., 2012 at 6:45:25 PM
In reply to: Chatelaine_Team "What advice would you give to first-time gardeners?"

Know where your sun /shade is, and pick the right plant for the right place.

Start small, read everything you can and ask other gardeners their advice to learn more.

Putting a single tomato plant in a big pot, with fresh soil (bagged, not from your garden) can be very successful--cherry or grape tomatoes are perfect for this. Pinch out the suckers so it grows tall, not wide (the suckers are the little leaves that start at the junction of an existing leaf).  Water daily, and feed every week two.

Rule Britannia!  Britannia Rules the Waves . . . . .

catsknit
   Reply  Top
gardening  Actions...
Posted: by Jarita on Wed. 27 Jun., 2012 at 10:17:37 PM
In reply to: Chatelaine_Team "What advice would you give to first-time gardeners?"

There are so many things that can help a beginner gardener.  Catsknit had some good suggestions.  The internet is a great source of help.  Know your Zone & learn which flowers, shrubs & trees are native to your area. 

If a beginner starts out with a vegetable crop that is really easy to grow then they might be more inclined to keep on gardening.  Beans and radishes are super easy to grow.

My most successful crop are the raspberries, but the strawberries and blueberries are really going gangbusters this year too! 

"Now and Then it is good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."

Jarita
   Reply  Top
Start Small  Actions...
Posted: by dolphingirl on Thu. 28 Jun., 2012 at 8:40:56 AM
When you are first starting to garden start small. Maybe with a container garden with a few easy to grow plants. If it's a vegetable garden start with lettuce or peas. Know when is the correct time to plant for your zone. If you plant too early and there is a frost you'll be done before you begin. Do not scrimp on soil. Use the best soil that you can afford and don't over water. If you over water you will rot the roots. Let the soil get a little dry so that the roots will grow deep into the soil.

This is the first year that we have a raised garden with all brand new soil and the garden is doing amazing. I have already picked my first broccoli and there are two zucchinis that are almost ready. We have a ton of tomatoes that are just starting to turn colour. I can't wait!!! Gardening can be fun. Here's my blog so that you can see what I mean: http://howdebsgardengrows.blogspot.ca/

dolphingirl
   Reply  Top
for flower beds .. mulch is your friend!  Actions...
Posted: by straightjacketmommy on Fri. 29 Jun., 2012 at 6:06:50 PM
In reply to: dolphingirl "Start Small"
to kill off grass, cardboard topped with mulch right over the grass works great. do that in the fall and in the spring you can dig right threw the cardboard to plant your new garden.

straightjacketmommy
   Reply  Top
Updated Blog  Actions...
Posted: by dolphingirl on Sat. 7 Jul., 2012 at 6:45:32 AM
In reply to: dolphingirl "Start Small"
Hey I've updated blog with photos of the huge zucchini I picked last night. http://howdebsgardengrows.blogspot.ca/

dolphingirl
   Reply  Top
When  Actions...
Posted: by JustZisGal on Sat. 30 Jun., 2012 at 3:27:57 PM

picking plants look around your neighbourhood and pick from those plants. If the plants are dong well on your neighbour’s property them most likely will do well on your property too. 

JustZisGal
   Reply  Top
Invest in a really good gardening book  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Sun. 1 Jul., 2012 at 2:07:48 AM
 There are books out there that are to gardeners as 'The Joy Of Cooking' is to food and kitchens. 
Taylor's Master book of gardening (and his Encyclopaedia) 
comes to mind for learning most anything worth learning about gardens and plants. We have a well used first edition- many more have come and gone and the author has branched out (pun intended) to specialized books (all taken from his Master book).
DH was a farmer and landscape garden and he swears by it. 
Can't comment on any crops this year as we cannot garden where we live.

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
edited Sun. 1 Jul., 2012 @ 2:09:28 AM by green_sleeves
edited Sun. 1 Jul., 2012 @ 2:12:46 AM by green_sleeves

Reply  Top
great suggestions all around!  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Sat. 7 Jul., 2012 at 4:27:09 PM

I love getting tips from other gardeners.  I do learn quite a bit just by looking at gardens in my neighbourhood - they inspire me.  Thanks dolphingirl for sharing you great blog - your garden looks wonderful!

I would add not to over crowd what you plant - give the transplants plenty of space to get bigger.  Also, thin your carrots!  I always have a tough time with this because I don't want to pull out the tiny little carrot seedlings.  If you thin them you will end up with a crop of carrots that are a decent size.

One final suggestion - if you have a good source of manure (as we do!) then put a couple of shovels full of good rotted stuff into the bottom of your rain barrel.  Fill up the barrel and give it a good stir once in awhile.  Lay a piece of plywood or something else on for a lid and let it sit and steep in the sun.  Use this to water your plants.  Manure tea helps them grow like nothing else!

When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. ― Bob Dylan

The poster formerly known as plexy (stolen from Jack Johnson)  and before that known as sexyplexy (nickname just for fun!)  ;)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
one really good thing to do when first  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Sat. 7 Jul., 2012 at 6:48:02 PM
starting out, is to have several plants of the same type and color.  thats much more effective than many different plants of different colors...

Mr. Harper really doesn’t appreciate people who disagree with him and he’ll be damned if he’ll help them spread their unwelcome views.

jadeyy
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »