home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

home & garden
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 2   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
How do you deal with clutter overload at home?  Actions...
Posted: by Chatelaine_Team on Wed. 11 Jul., 2012 at 1:55:12 PM
How often do you declutter? Do you wait until you absolutely need to purge the junk to make more space?

Chatelaine_Team
   Reply  Top
well  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Wed. 11 Jul., 2012 at 3:09:10 PM
In reply to: Chatelaine_Team "How do you deal with clutter overload at home?"
I certainly don't have a sink full of dishes like that, but I really do need to get rid of the junk drawer(s). 

I'm actually pretty good at keeping organized, have trouble working around the other people in the house though!
Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
   Reply  Top
Clutter  Actions...
Posted: by AugustBellFlower on Wed. 11 Jul., 2012 at 5:46:03 PM

I don’t like clutter so I declutter my home at least once a year. In additional I frequently empty a drawer/closet and get rid of anything I don’t need.

I think the article has a few good tips.

AugustBellFlower
   Reply  Top
I Close My Eyes  Actions...
Posted: by Queen_B on Wed. 11 Jul., 2012 at 11:29:00 PM
and pretend it isn't there.

There are 5 1/2 people living in my house. DS had his own apartment for 2 years and moved back with more stuff than he had before, and his longtime girlfriend. Our basement looks like it's on an episode of hoarders.

There's nothing I can do about it right now, so I ignore it.

*Shrug.* There are more important things to worry about in life.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours shine any brighter.

Queen_B
   Reply  Top
with small kids  Actions...
Posted: by itsmeagain on Wed. 11 Jul., 2012 at 11:29:14 PM

I would never leave a pot (even empty) sitting on a counter edge like that! We keep a bag going in the garage that we put clothes and items in that we want to get rid of and then let the charity pick it up or drop it off at one of the bins when it is full.   Stuff that doesn't belong to anyone here is given two weeks to go home before it hits the bin.

We are constantly reorganizing, our front door is always full of shoes, we try to limit the space to two pairs per person (but still that is 14 pairs).  when it is time to tidy I pull out a few laundry baskets and load each person's shoes up and they bring it to their room.

I also found that I was keeping stuff I didn't really need (clothes that I was sure I would fit into soon) so I put them in bins and labelled with the month/year and every six months to a year I purge through the bins.

Please forgive the typos . . . spell check doesn't seem to work for me!

itsmeagain
   Reply  Top
When we move! LOL  Actions...
Posted: by jjaycee on Thu. 12 Jul., 2012 at 9:16:33 AM

Just this May.  Prior to that May 2004.  Prior to that January 1979.

Those were major purges.  Otherwise pretty much continuous where recycling is available.  Consequence of that was that- until the 2004 move, there was no place to recycle other than the local Catholic Church, and we had a huge mound of stuff to take to the dump.

I swear I will do a better job of it in the new place!

jjaycee
   Reply  Top
Re clutter  Actions...
Posted: by Lois_M on Thu. 12 Jul., 2012 at 5:30:30 PM
One thing I heard is  that if you want to put something away or move it to a new area if it takes less than a minute, do it right away.  Works for me.

Lois_M
   Reply  Top
I am not a clean freak  Actions...
Posted: by Simply_Trying on Fri. 13 Jul., 2012 at 11:09:29 AM

and I need my cooking stuff but messy/ clutter makes me cranky!

But summer time is not the time to stress about it...Summer time at our house means that the stuff the kids had with them while away at University/College need a place to be stored at before returning with them in the fall.  Yes a lot was moved in DS` new digs for the remaining school year but a lot also made it here.  The problem for DD is that she had to be moved out of Residence a full week before getting the keys to the apartment she`ll be sharing this coming September.   While we have taken a few trips there since to clean and measure , most of her stuff is still here.

DH also has a hard time letting go of items . He is getting better but even after 2 previous yard sale (where people were trying to give me more money than asked for as they felt that they were robbing us) the garage is still full . Yes a lot is with items for DD but in a year when she transfers back here to the nearby University (if everything goes to plan) the stuff will come back! 

Until the kids move on I feel it`s a losing battle but it`s ok.  We will survive.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau

Simply_Trying
   Reply  Top
I cannot stand clutter  Actions...
Posted: by _temp_ on Sat. 14 Jul., 2012 at 8:37:38 AM
because I have a tiny place
I do keep it under control

3 really good things to have in your plac
a file cabinet
a shredder
a good vacuum cleaner

but I try to at least once a week go though my stuff and toss what I don't need
and I shred anything that has my name on it

Bell keeps sending me promotional stuff and I did call once to complain and it stopped but now they are doing it again

I have always been one of those people who constantly puts things away when I am done simply because I am usually living in a small place

I also have too many clothes but I know I have to go through them and give some away

_temp_
   Reply  Top
over whelmed!  Actions...
Posted: by sue_43 on Tue. 17 Jul., 2012 at 10:42:41 AM
In reply to: _temp_ "I cannot stand clutter"

after just moving into a larger house...it doesnt seem that big after seeing all our boxes & totes & bags of STUFF sitting on the basement floor.  I dont even know where to begin.  i am doing 5 things at once..& i am NOT a multi tasker !Cry

i know i need to de-clutter, but i did that BEFORE the move.   oh dear....

Good times....  Roll of the eyes

sue_43
   Reply  Top
Before & After! LOL  Actions...
Posted: by jjaycee on Sat. 21 Jul., 2012 at 9:06:38 AM
In reply to: sue_43 "over whelmed!"
We just do not fit into this little house!

jjaycee
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Sat. 21 Jul., 2012 at 11:59:48 AM
Trust me, it never does until you unpack.  At first it looks almost frightening.  ;-)  I've been in situations where I've barely been able to walk around the boxes and I've wondered how I could possibly fit 'all that' into this tiny space, but somehow, I always make it work.

As for where to begin, I suggest this: take it one box at a time, and don't stress yourself beyond that.  The rest will come easily.  Start with the main bathroom.  It's important to be fresh, clean, and be able to present yourself well for the day.  Then, do the kitchen next.  After that, either go room by room, or box by box, depending on how this is organized in your piles.  And remember that it will get done sometime, whether this is tomorrow, next Christmas, or during your next move.  You do have a basement???  lol  

Best of luck with this.  ;-)

"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"  Dr. Seuss

"Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does."  (unknown)

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."  George S. Patton

The poster formerly known as Writer Mom (stolen from Prince)  

dreamer16
   Reply  Top
what dreamer16 said  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Sat. 21 Jul., 2012 at 4:51:47 PM
one box at a time. Was thinking..... (because we need to de-clutter in a serious way) is to have one or two empty boxes in the room where you are unpacking. They can be for a garage sale or give away for the things you thought you needed but don't and further de-clutter your new home. 
I am always amazed when we start packing for a move and only have the essentials out how it makes me feel- calm, I can breathe and move freely, feel really organized cleaner. 
Then I wish I wasn't moving.....just all the stuff in boxesGrin

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
I've given up on it, for the moment  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Sat. 21 Jul., 2012 at 11:53:05 AM
Now that my life has changed, again, I can't keep up with it, so I've quit worrying about this.

I live in a ground floor small one bedroom apartment with patio doors leading to a wide open area, and it seems that I have a revolving door on both sides now.  Plus, I have my gd here for at least couple of days a week, often overnight.  There's toys, books, small tables and chairs, and other kids' stuff everywhere, and then there's everything that my other kids and other people seem to be constantly dropping off for one another, or that I'm storing for them while they're in transition from one move or lifestyle/job change to the next.  Even my patio is cluttered with a slide/swing combo that I can pull out for my gd to play on (dropped off by my former bil) and a small sandbox and other assorted outdoor kid crap.  Inside my patio doors are numerous fold up tables and chairs for both indoors and outdoors.  There's simply nowhere to 'hide' all this stuff.  

The place is stuffed to the ceiling with all my kitchen stuff, crafts, and books, so all the usual hiding places are taken.

The way I look at it now is that people are more important than how a place looks.  I kept my place(s) spotless for four years and that's good enough.  ;-)  Now I just plan to live life and enjoy it.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."  George S. Patton

dreamer16
   Reply  Top
I think  Actions...
Posted: by Freebird2 on Sun. 22 Jul., 2012 at 11:13:06 AM
In reply to: dreamer16 "I've given up on it, for the moment"

people are taking advantage of you and are using your home as their storage room. JMO.

edited to add:  It would be one thing if you had a basement, attic or garage to store all this stuff in, but this stuff is being stored in your living space.

I think you should give some thought to getting all these people together and to divide the cost of rental storage and store all this stuff there. Truly I've no idea how you can feel put together with that much stuff in a small apartment. 

I guess I believe in Feng shui enough to truly think that it’s important for Chi (universal energy) to flow easily throughout your home, and that is impossible in a over-stuffed or cluttered home. Clutter drains your personal energy.

IMO, when GreenSleeves was saying that she feels calmer when her stuff is in boxes, I think she was feeling Chi/energy without really knowing what to call it.

Just in case you are interested.

"What is Chi, or Universal Energy in Feng Shui"

http://fengshui.about.com/od/glossaryofterms/g/chi.htm  (IMO, a very interesting subject.) 

Freebird2
edited Sun. 22 Jul., 2012 @ 11:34:25 AM by Freebird2
edited Sun. 22 Jul., 2012 @ 11:39:25 AM by Freebird2
edited Sun. 22 Jul., 2012 @ 11:39:59 AM by Freebird2

Reply  Top
I'm going to have to  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Sun. 22 Jul., 2012 at 11:43:48 AM
In reply to: Freebird2 "I think"
agree with you Freebird2, couldn't say it though. My daughter used to think she could pile her stuff here (she moved in & out so many times), I got my husband to pack up all the stuff & bring it to her, so she could decide what to do with it. 

When she had her own kids she wanted to leave a high chair here, the other Grandma has one, but I said no. When they come for a visit they can bring their stuff & then take it home, lol! I actually bought this cool chair you can just sit on a normal chair, she can take it anywhere. 

Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
   Reply  Top
I am very aware of energy  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Sun. 22 Jul., 2012 at 2:24:00 PM
or Chi. It has been proven over and over without a doubt that we all feel better with less clutter. We feel better near water or in nature. I always feel uplifted after a few hours at the beach or river.Ying and yang
Our home at the moment is in a state of Sha Chi
and we really need to address this.  Someday's my concentration is pathetic and I know why.
If any posters have a friend or relative that lives with clutter and darkness they know what that feels like and how they feel when they get out of that environment.
I've witnessed many people buy bigger and bigger homes because they think they've outgrown their smaller homes but if they'd get rid of the 'stuff' instead of buying a bigger place to store it it would have made more sense. 
Spending more to have more room to store stuff that ends up being added to is a viscous circle for a lot of people.

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Sun. 22 Jul., 2012 at 11:17:12 PM
If this situation was permanent, I'd agree with you, but it isn't.  Only a few years ago, I was living in a two bedroom apt. and I still had a fair bit of my kids' stuff towards the end.  They had been in transition, but by then were more settled.  At that point, I said it was time to pick up their stuff and find room in their own places for it.  And they did.

This time, for the past two years, all of my kids have been in transition at one point or another, and have needed a place to leave some stuff temporarily.  By this, I mean that they didn't have residences of their own to live in for a brief time, for whatever reason.  In our family, we do whatever we can to help one another out.  I don't worry about whether this is an inconvenience to me or not.  As I say, this isn't permanent.

However, this time, it's happened several times in a row, so it's been more difficult to get on top of all this.  My son has just found an apartment and reasonable employment in this area, so some of this will leaving this week.

As for my gd's stuff, that's mine.  I bought it (mostly used) so that my gd would be comfortable here when I babysat her since that would likely be often, given my dd's need to work, etc.  I do clean up, but I also believe that children should be allowed to play without constantly worrying about making messes.  Sometimes lately, I don't get to that mess quick enough.  I'm not as young as I used to be, and I get also get frequent interruptions in the form of company.  I'd rather put people ahead of being a neat freak now.

Normally, I am normally a highly organized person and I frequently purge, so that's not the issue.  And I do know all about Fung Shei and Chi.  I do agree that one feels better in a less cluttered place and one that has better flow and energy.  

However, at the same time, I've come to recognize lately that I feel better personally if I don't stress about this.  I'm happier being around people, just being around their company and socializing than what I would be if I spent all that time instead staying on top of this clutter, messiness, etc. and not spending the same time with them.  So, it becomes a trade-off.

Meanwhile, I do consider what I could do to streamline everything, which is what I always do in every place, since this is an ongoing problem when one lives in smallish places.  But, the idea of even temporarily renting storage spaces seems counterproductive to me.  If one is storing what they don't use often elsewhere, why bother having it in the first place?  

I use everything that is in now in my apartment.  I really only have about one half of a small box (if that, now) under my bed that might be considered mementos or memory type of objects, and the rest is objects that I use on a regular basis, or books.  And, I've even streamlined the books.  I'll likely continue to purge and streamline for the rest of my life as my needs and tastes change and as I bring in other objects that suit my current lifestyle better.

I'm hoping this fall to be able to get a better handle on this, but if I don't... then, I'll do it sometime later.  But, I am able to comfortably walk through my place, and when I do clean, all the surfaces are clutter-free.  It's just getting this done sometimes and keeping it that way.  I'm not as ambitious as I once was either.  ;-)  

Plus, when I was younger, I was a bit of a clean freak, and now, I no longer care.  Years from now, my kids will remember that I was always there for them throughout their lives,  but I doubt if they'll remember that my house was always completely tidy and clean when they were much younger.  

And, whenever this does affect me personally, then I just deal with it from moment to moment.  :-)

dreamer16
   Reply  Top
Great Post  Actions...
Posted: by Queen_B on Mon. 23 Jul., 2012 at 12:29:58 PM
In reply to: dreamer16 "..."
My place might be a little cluttered, but it's also filled with life, love, and laughter, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I will never have a perfect showplace, but I find those a little barren, anyhow. Plus, like you, I have other priorities. When I'm on my deathbed, I know I won't be lying there wishing I had spent more of my life doing housework and decluttering. My household is busy and happy, and so am I, and I know the time will pass soon enough and I will no longer need to have so much stuff stored. Some of it, I've saved on purpose for when my kids move into their own places. My older DD will sharing a house nearer the university starting in August, and she'll be taking some of the furniture, dishes, pots and pans, etc. But if she wanted to stay, I'd be happy to continue to put up with the clutter.

I also have a few things I've saved for future grandkids--baby gates, a portable crib, a doll house, some special kids' books, etc. When the time comes, I want this to be a place where the kids feel comfortable, and where they can enjoy themselves.  I live in a home, not a magazine photograph.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours shine any brighter.

Queen_B
   Reply  Top
Exactly  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Tue. 24 Jul., 2012 at 2:03:08 PM
In reply to: Queen_B "Great Post"
Thanks.  :-)

dreamer16
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 2   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »