home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

news & views
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 2   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Alberta Debate  Actions...
Posted: by Nanny G on Fri. 13 Apr., 2012 at 10:10:10 AM

The one and only debate made Danielle Smith a winner, she is articulate and at ease.

Allison Redford looked frumpy and on the defensive of course.

Brian Mason of the NDP surprised a lot of people, he was quite good.

and Raj Sherman was himself, raises taxes and eliminate tuiton,

a real liberal  Tax and Spend.

Nanny G
   Reply  Top
what about all these rumors  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Fri. 13 Apr., 2012 at 5:37:55 PM
In reply to: Nanny G "Alberta Debate"
that if Smith gets in, she will govern by referendum???

Mr. Harper really doesn’t appreciate people who disagree with him and he’ll be damned if he’ll help them spread their unwelcome views.

jadeyy
   Reply  Top
whats the story behind Smith and her party  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Fri. 13 Apr., 2012 at 6:26:44 PM
paying 2 Torys MLAs $20K each to cross the floor???? 

Mr. Harper really doesn’t appreciate people who disagree with him and he’ll be damned if he’ll help them spread their unwelcome views.

jadeyy
   Reply  Top
jadeyy  Actions...
Posted: by Nanny G on Fri. 13 Apr., 2012 at 8:43:26 PM
In reply to: jadeyy "whats the story behind Smith and her party"
where are your links girl ????

Nanny G
   Reply  Top
no problem....  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Fri. 13 Apr., 2012 at 8:53:21 PM
In reply to: Nanny G "jadeyy"

is this ethical

is this any way to run a province

more of the same

the list seems to be endless

perhaps you will answer my questions now

jadeyy
   Reply  Top
This is all hogwash..  Actions...
Posted: by Nanny G on Sat. 14 Apr., 2012 at 12:28:20 PM
In reply to: jadeyy "no problem...."

go listen to the debate and hear what she has to say.

Now give me as many links against Redford and we will have the truth. Your truth is always negative, so you should be able to find some.

Nanny G
   Reply  Top
hogwash.. lol.. i guess  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Sat. 14 Apr., 2012 at 1:47:09 PM
In reply to: Nanny G "This is all hogwash.."

thats a good as any response, when one is unable to answer my questions... I have no desire to hear what danielle palin    smith has to say..

in future if you wont want anyone to ask  questions about any  of your posts, please indicate that.. :))))  ( or I could just make my questions easier... )

jadeyy
edited Sat. 14 Apr., 2012 @ 1:47:56 PM by jadeyy

Reply  Top
i am curious about your posts  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Sat. 14 Apr., 2012 at 3:04:15 PM
In reply to: Nanny G "This is all hogwash.."
do you actually want any responses at all or are you just ranting.  I have asked several questions here, and when you asked me for links I provided them... and yet you continue to mock my posts with out responding or backing up your OP at all. 

jadeyy
   Reply  Top
Well the difference  Actions...
Posted: by Nanny G on Sat. 14 Apr., 2012 at 3:42:59 PM
In reply to: jadeyy "i am curious about your posts"

difference between you and me is that I WILL vote on the 23rd. I certainly do not need your input to see how we can run our province. What do you know about Alberta's politics for the last 10 years anyway.

I will vote Wild Rose and I trust Danielle a lot more than the other 4 leaders..they are all  too red more like liberals..Yikes...

Nanny G
   Reply  Top
well seeing as I dont live in Alberta, it would  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Sat. 14 Apr., 2012 at 4:21:00 PM
In reply to: Nanny G "Well the difference"

be a bit difficult for me to vote in that particular election.

Again, let me say its interesting that you cant or wont address any of the points I raised.

As for what I know about Alberta's politica - that makes no sense.. you posted, and i answered.. its obvious that if you are unable to answer my questions, I must know a bit about that particular province.

jadeyy
   Reply  Top
.....  Actions...
Posted: by daisya on Sun. 15 Apr., 2012 at 1:33:15 PM
In reply to: jadeyy "well seeing as I dont live in Alberta, it would"
Does she ever answer ?!

Here's an interesting article from yesterday's paper (sorry if you already read it), much of which has been written before, but it's an interesting article all the same, giving Smith's history and background.  Interesting that the party of Peter Lougheed changed so much under Stelmach, causing so many to switch.  However, as it says (& there were other articles on this last week), Danielle Smith is really not a copy of Sarah Palin - thank goodness! 
Globe and Mail

daisya
edited Sun. 15 Apr., 2012 @ 1:34:23 PM by daisya
edited Sun. 15 Apr., 2012 @ 1:43:45 PM by daisya

Reply  Top
its interesting to hear that Peter Lougheed has come in  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Sun. 15 Apr., 2012 at 2:56:32 PM
In reply to: daisya "....."

in support of Redford and her party.

The patriarch of Alberta's Progressive Conservative Party has made a plea to conservatives who have switched to the rival Wildrose by pledging support for Alison Redford Saturday

always was a pretty smart guy

jadeyy
   Reply  Top
..........  Actions...
Posted: by daisya on Sun. 15 Apr., 2012 at 4:37:27 PM
In reply to: jadeyy "its interesting to hear that Peter Lougheed has come in"
Interesting, thanks for posting that.  While many people thought of Lougheed as a bit of a one-man show, he was certainly popular and lead the party and province for a long time.   I think it would be huge news though, if he were not supporting the party of which he was leader and has been a member of, for so long!!

(My link to you was not as any prejudice or to change your mind or anything.  I thought from your posts in this thread, that you'd be interested in it.  I thought it was a fascinating article, regardless of political leanings.)

daisya
edited Sun. 15 Apr., 2012 @ 5:32:24 PM by daisya

Reply  Top
i had checked out your link, and did mean to mention in  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Sun. 15 Apr., 2012 at 5:28:44 PM
In reply to: daisya ".........."

in my post.. but hit the post button...

I agree.. i dont really think that smith and palin are that similar in a lot of way.. orginally when i first heard Smith, Palin immediately came to my mind.. but now after reading your link and some others, I have changed my mind.

I lived in Alta when Lougheed first came into power.. heady times for that province and I remember the excitement about his election.. I did love living in Edmonton.  First time away from home.. pretty exciting..

jadeyy
   Reply  Top
Enjoyed Alberta too!  Actions...
Posted: by daisya on Sun. 15 Apr., 2012 at 5:37:24 PM
In reply to: jadeyy "i had checked out your link, and did mean to mention in"
I was in Calgary for several years.  Very different political climate from the province I came from, and the one I went to next.  I was there when Trudeau resigned - lots of celebrations especially in the oil companies.  I don't think Lougheed ever forgave Trudeau and hasn't forgotten, judging by his last interview I heard, lol.  Then I saw the grass roots of the Reform party... 

daisya
edited Sun. 15 Apr., 2012 @ 5:39:41 PM by daisya

Reply  Top
Husband mentioned this was on a NEWS  Actions...
Posted: by jjaycee on Sun. 15 Apr., 2012 at 4:38:38 PM
In reply to: Nanny G "jadeyy"

the night before the debate.  Has not been run up the flag pole since though.  No one of any party is saying anything so I am guessing its either an "we all do it so won't comment about someone else" or was proved to be false.

Just too juicy a situation to not exploit if it did in fact happen.

jjaycee
   Reply  Top
NannyG perhaps you would like to comment  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Sun. 15 Apr., 2012 at 7:45:21 PM

on this news report:

CALGARY – The Wildrose party went into damage-control mode Sunday after one of its candidates’ anti-gay rants raised the ire of many voters and prompted Premier Alison Redford to warn Albertans about who they want to run their province.

The controversy stems from a blog written by Allan Hunsperger, a pastor who’s running as a Wildrose candidate in Edmonton South, in which he warned against accepting gays and lesbians for who they are.

In his comments, written in June, 2011, Hunsperger criticized the Edmonton Public School Division’s views of accepting students for who they are and used Lady Gaga’s album, “Born this Way” as part of his analogy.

“You see, you can live the way you were born, and if you die the way you were born then you will suffer the rest of eternity in the lake of fire, hell, a place of eternal suffering.”

what does the wildrose stand for

If we have people like this making these sorts of comments in Alberta I think it’s absolutely wrong and of course I disagree with it.”

Just hours after Redford’s comments, the controversial posting was taken down. In a short message posted on the same website, Hunsperger defended his comments.

“The views I expressed in this blog posting are my own personal religious views and were given in the capacity as a church pastor,” he wrote.

“I fully support equality for all people, and condemn any intolerance based on sexual orientation or any other personal characteristic.”

Wildrose leader Danielle Smith said she was aware of Hunsperger’s religious views and made it clear that they won’t have any effect on her party’s policy if it forms government.

“Our party is not going to legislate on contentious social issues,” Smith said on Sunday.

“I also said in the debate that we recognize that people have a great diversity of viewpoints … it’s not unique to our party.”

On Saturday she told reporters that none of her candidates had experienced a “bozo eruption.” She said they were disciplined and would do a good job if elected.

“When a person is making personal statements in their capacity as a pastor, which he was, I don’t think anybody should be surprised that they’re expressing certain viewpoints,” she said.

She said Hunsperger understands and accepts the party’s policy on contentious social issues.

Many people took to Twitter to express their views on the controversy.

“I’m concerned that a party with a transparency pledge, seems to have so much to hide” read one tweet.

Another one suggested the candidate’s Twitter profile should read “Wildrose candidate dedicated to representing Albertans who I approve of.”

Redford has speculated that there are other extreme views within Smith’s party. She is critical of a Wildrose demand of a $1,000 good conduct bond that isn’t returned to failed nominees until after the election campaign is over. Smith said it was meant to prevent unhappy former nominees from “sabotaging” the campaign.

“I think that is undemocratic. I think that if you have a political party and you have people who run for nominations that those people are still members of the party, are still entitled to have points of view,” she said.

“I don’t know what they would or wouldn’t say but the fact as a party that they are worried about that I find ridiculous.”

jadeyy
edited Sun. 15 Apr., 2012 @ 7:55:55 PM by jadeyy

Reply  Top
You are too late  Actions...
Posted: by Nanny G on Sun. 15 Apr., 2012 at 9:06:40 PM
In reply to: jadeyy "NannyG perhaps you would like to comment"

my daughter and her partner Pauline got married on the 15 of April last year.

We are good with Danielle.

Nanny G
   Reply  Top
i dont understand what this has to do  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Mon. 16 Apr., 2012 at 6:29:33 AM
In reply to: Nanny G "You are too late"

with my post...Congratulations on your DD's marriage, does it upset you to read about candidates with the wildrose, having this anti gay opinion.. are you worried that it may influence the policy of the party??

i guess you still have no comment on some of the other points I brought up in response to your OP

jadeyy
edited Mon. 16 Apr., 2012 @ 6:30:49 AM by jadeyy
edited Mon. 16 Apr., 2012 @ 6:31:39 AM by jadeyy

Reply  Top
not surprised  Actions...
Posted: by itsmeagain on Mon. 16 Apr., 2012 at 10:27:38 AM
In reply to: Nanny G "You are too late"

That 'you' are good with Danielle Smith because your daughter has been allowed to marry her partner. But will her partner be recognized as her partner it the Wildrose party wins?  And what about all the other couples that want to marry in the future.

Smith scares me, she wants privatized health care and is against Gay Marriage, and so much more.

where quotes came from

The wildrose party is a step backwards for Alberta.

Please forgive the typos . . . spell check doesn't seem to work for me!

itsmeagain
edited Mon. 16 Apr., 2012 @ 10:28:12 AM by itsmeagain

Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 2   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »