home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

news & views
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Latest violence in Mexico...  Actions...
Posted: by TheCoho on Wed. 27 Jun., 2012 at 12:11:39 AM
Shootout in Mexico City's international airport...

And here I was thinking I might venture south this winter and spend some time in Mexico City too but...the look of terror on that young woman's face in the National Post article says it all . I cannot begin to imagine what it must have been like to be calmly drinking a coffee or munching on a sandwich in between flights and have a gun battle break out...in an international airport!!!

Coho salmon are prized for their excellent fighting abilities and acrobatics

TheCoho
   Reply  Top
Mexico doesn't seem very kind to Canadians  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Wed. 27 Jun., 2012 at 7:14:52 AM
In reply to: TheCoho "Latest violence in Mexico..."
I am sure many here have had lovely vacations in Mexico but there have been an inordinate number of crimes, murders and deaths involving Canadians.  BIL and SIL have a time share that is, apparently, lovely and they've invited us several times but we've always said "thanks, but no thanks".  While the chances are still very small, I'm sure, it's just not a risk I want to take.

Marsha
   Reply  Top
There Was  Actions...
Posted: by Queen_B on Wed. 27 Jun., 2012 at 1:27:32 PM
a shootout at the University of Alberta a couple of weeks ago. Henceforth, I will be afraid to venture onto a university campus in Canada.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours shine any brighter.

Queen_B
   Reply  Top
& don't go shopping  Actions...
Posted: by daffodil_ on Wed. 27 Jun., 2012 at 2:20:52 PM
In reply to: Queen_B "There Was"
Don't go shopping at a mall in Canada.  There was a shooting at a shopping mall, and another mall capsized, both this month.

daffodil_
edited Wed. 27 Jun., 2012 @ 2:23:08 PM by daffodil_

Reply  Top
What I said to Queen B...  Actions...
Posted: by TheCoho on Wed. 27 Jun., 2012 at 2:32:45 PM
In reply to: daffodil_ "& don't go shopping"

I think you missed the point of my OP.

ETA...I was in a bar once when the police rushed the place with weapons (big ones!) pulled. It was frightening...for me anyway. I didn't move out of town but chose my watering holes more judiciously. Sometimes, however, you have no choice.

TheCoho
edited Wed. 27 Jun., 2012 @ 2:34:58 PM by TheCoho

Reply  Top
Sorry  Actions...
Posted: by daffodil_ on Wed. 27 Jun., 2012 at 2:47:24 PM
In reply to: TheCoho "What I said to Queen B..."

Sorry, if I missed your point.  Perhaps it wasn't clear to me.  When I read:
"thinking I might venture south..... but"  it made me think you had changed your mind.

daffodil_
   Reply  Top
I think those tragedies are far too serious  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Sat. 30 Jun., 2012 at 1:15:05 PM
In reply to: daffodil_ "Sorry"
for the sort of glib tone your post seems to have (and if that wasn't your intention, sorry, but that is how it came across).

Add to that, the Canadian Government hasn't issued a "travel advisory' for Canadians going to either of those destinations but they have done so with Mexico and urge Canadians travelling there to register with "Registration of Canadians Travelling Abroad". Corruption in the various police forces in Mexico makes it that much more worrisome if a Canadian does encounter problems. 

Marsha
   Reply  Top
i dont think one can compare the safety of visitors or citizens  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Fri. 29 Jun., 2012 at 6:21:12 AM
In reply to: daffodil_ "& don't go shopping"
between  Mexico and Canada.

Mr. Harper really doesn’t appreciate people who disagree with him and he’ll be damned if he’ll help them spread their unwelcome views.

jadeyy
edited Fri. 29 Jun., 2012 @ 6:30:54 AM by jadeyy

Reply  Top
You're right!...  Actions...
Posted: by TheCoho on Fri. 29 Jun., 2012 at 12:57:19 PM
In reply to: jadeyy "i dont think one can compare the safety of visitors or citizens"

Just as you expect some things to happen in some parts of the world you don't expect certain things to happen in other parts of the world.

It's when the unexpected happens that your assumptions change. Think 9/11...many, many people stopped flying for a while after that and even seasoned travellers took a time out for a few days.

TheCoho
   Reply  Top
Where did I say I wasn't going to Mexico?  Actions...
Posted: by TheCoho on Wed. 27 Jun., 2012 at 2:31:07 PM
In reply to: Queen_B "There Was"

I hinted that I am hesitating.

My thoughts were with all those passengers who were idling time waiting for flights who had to witness such a frightening episode and be put in the line of fire. This is something you don't expect to happen while you are hanging about an airport.

I've travelled the globe extensively,  have travelled through risky areas and even lived in a couple of places which were not considered particularly safe at the time due to terrorist activities and threats.

And yeah...if people pulled out guns and started shooting at each other wild west style within a student union building eatery, I might be a bit hesitant about hanging around places like that. And you know full well that the shootings that happened at the U of A were targeted in the dead of night when the students upstairs from the ATM were mostly indoors and asleep. Using your analogy, nobody would ever go out of their house again.

TheCoho
   Reply  Top
Hmmm  Actions...
Posted: by Queen_B on Sun. 1 Jul., 2012 at 2:29:14 AM
In reply to: TheCoho "Where did I say I wasn't going to Mexico?"
A little touchy, much? Hope you find a place to have a nice vacation.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours shine any brighter.

Queen_B
   Reply  Top
Traveling  Actions...
Posted: by sueabc on Mon. 2 Jul., 2012 at 9:30:09 PM
In reply to: TheCoho "Where did I say I wasn't going to Mexico?"
So you're still thinking of going? As DFAIT states, a lot of Mexico is very safe.  Like you, I've traveled and lived in many places, and you learn to adjust. After the latest shooting in Toronto, I'm sure some people will hesitate about going there. We traveled with young kids in many places including some countries in South America, and one child is going back later this month. Another was in parts of Africa earlier this year.

sueabc
   Reply  Top
gang violence  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Wed. 27 Jun., 2012 at 3:01:48 PM
is here too, unfortunately, in fact two shootings in the last few weeks alone in a more prestigious neighbourhood.

Of course, this one is a little more scary that it happened in a busy airport but I don't plan on letting that stop me from travelling. I could get hit by a bus while crossing the street, in a marked crosswalk, to the local recreation centre, man those bus drivers can very rude!

Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
   Reply  Top
I don't travel to Mexico or South America  Actions...
Posted: by Mary_in_TO on Thu. 28 Jun., 2012 at 5:13:00 PM
I don't even want to go to the states, I'd rather spend my vacation here in Canada or visiting relatives in Austria. My favorite places where Australia and New Zealand.

Mary_in_TO
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »