home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

news & views
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
speaking of bullies  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Thu. 5 Jul., 2012 at 3:08:44 PM

An article in The Economist has said that our very own PM has bullying ways!!! 

One of the world’s leading economic journals says the “bullying” ways of Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his Conservatives could tilt popular opinion to the opposition – specifically the New Democrats.

In an editorial published in its July 7 edition, the Economist – which boasts a global circulation of nearly 1.6 million readers – says the actions of the Conservative government have offered the opposition new hope by reminding Canadians of what they dislike about Mr. Harper

The new editorial says he leads a government that is intolerant of criticism and dissent. “This strategy of polarising the electorate, playing to core supporters and vilifying opponents has been effective,” the Economist says “But there are signs that it may be wearing thin. In recent provincial elections in Alberta and Ontario parties linked to Mr. Harper lost elections they expected to win

very interesting article!!

Mr. Harper really doesn’t appreciate people who disagree with him and he’ll be damned if he’ll help them spread their unwelcome views.

jadeyy
   Reply  Top
not that I am pro-Harper,  Actions...
Posted: by vibrantgirl on Thu. 5 Jul., 2012 at 4:07:37 PM
In reply to: jadeyy "speaking of bullies"
This is one thing I don't like about the Economist, that they don't disclose the identity of the individual writers...

Encouraging though to read that maybe the public is becoming disillusioned with Harper's ways...

vibrantgirl
   Reply  Top
I wonder whether this article  Actions...
Posted: by Mary_in_TO on Fri. 6 Jul., 2012 at 4:49:46 PM
Has prompted the hate comercials against the NDP leader Mulcare, that have been on the air here.

Mary_in_TO
   Reply  Top
Yes but....  Actions...
Posted: by TheCoho on Fri. 6 Jul., 2012 at 10:06:33 PM
the article  also said....

"But if Mr Harper has dominated Canadian politics for so long, it is not just because of his aggressive tactics. The Conservatives have accomplishments, too. Canada’s economy, forecast to grow by 2-3% this year, stands out from its peers. Inflation (1.2%) and unemployment (7.3%) are comparatively low. The deficit, which ballooned after the 2008 slowdown, may be gone by 2014. The government is involved in several sets of free-trade talks, including ones with the EU, India and the Trans-Pacific Partnership—though it has yet to say much about the costs and benefits. Mr Harper, at first a reluctant traveller, has taken to globetrotting.... He remains his generation’s most accomplished political tactician. Polls show that voters still consider him a more impressive leader than his rivals. And he is only one year into his term. "

Many of the comments which follow the article are quite interesting.

Coho salmon are prized for their excellent fighting abilities and acrobatics

TheCoho
edited Fri. 6 Jul., 2012 @ 10:07:31 PM by TheCoho

Reply  Top
i read that.. however i do think that Canada's  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Fri. 6 Jul., 2012 at 10:14:45 PM
In reply to: TheCoho "Yes but...."

economic position has more to do with our banking system than the tory government...

Mr. Harper really doesn’t appreciate people who disagree with him and he’ll be damned if he’ll help them spread their unwelcome views.

jadeyy
edited Fri. 6 Jul., 2012 @ 10:15:20 PM by jadeyy

Reply  Top
Go ahead and argue that with...  Actions...
Posted: by TheCoho on Sat. 7 Jul., 2012 at 12:53:29 AM
In reply to: jadeyy "i read that.. however i do think that Canada's"
the author of the article then. Don't you think the author, who  likely has a strong background in economics, would have said as much?

Canadians have been warned about getting too complacent:

"banks and banking systems are inherently vulnerable to instability, and these inherent fragilities have been exacerbated in the era of neoliberal financial globalization. The myth of Canadian exceptionalism perpetuates a denial of this ominous reality. This denial may have dire consequences."

Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives article

TheCoho
   Reply  Top
well i dont have to argue with anyone...  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Sat. 7 Jul., 2012 at 7:14:26 AM
In reply to: TheCoho "Go ahead and argue that with..."

but given the fact that Harper had a large surplus when he took over the helm and with a very short period of time, that surplus was gone.. is not a good indication of his governments handling of economic issues... the  omnibus bills doesnt give me a lot of warm and fuzzy feelings about the coming years either..

jadeyy
   Reply  Top
So it really has nothing to do with banks...  Actions...
Posted: by TheCoho on Sat. 7 Jul., 2012 at 12:45:18 PM
In reply to: jadeyy "well i dont have to argue with anyone..."
Grin

I think if I were the PM and I had a majority I'd do what I had to do in order to get my legislation through....and everybody else be d***ed.

As for that surplus that was there well I don't blame SH...I blame the world economy...seriously!

Down in the US, the GOP is blaming Obama for the state of the economy and as a reason for not re-electing him.

TheCoho
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »