home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

news & views
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 2 of 2   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Did I hear this right?  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Wed. 15 Aug., 2012 at 10:52:27 PM
In reply to: Carol_cp "Who were the idiots that voted for this man?"
I saw this story on the news this morning and one comment was made that " it's not considered distracted driving in Ontario to read while driving, yet talking on the cell phone is."  Did I hear that right?
Stupid man to do such a stupid thing and then blow it off.  Your tax $$ hard at work.

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
I did not vote for that idiot!  Actions...
Posted: by Mary_in_TO on Fri. 17 Aug., 2012 at 2:25:14 PM
Anyone who was simplistic enough to vote for him in the belief that he would lower taxes, repair the roads and build subways all over the place and repair the infra structure of this city, needs a good smack.
This mayor by not having a driver has endangered the public by using his cell phone, reading his notes while driving. He has also called 911 on numerous occasions because he refused to have security provided fo him. I live in Etobicoke, and worry every time I get into my car in case he's driving around.
And I thought our mayor could not get worse than Lastman!

Mary_in_TO
edited Fri. 17 Aug., 2012 @ 2:27:03 PM by Mary_in_TO

Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by Artemis on Fri. 17 Aug., 2012 at 5:18:07 PM

Gotta thank you Torontonians for one thing though: BC often gets laughed at for the idiot premiers we elect (not that I've voted for any of them!). But compared to some of your mayors ...

Laugh

“I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. It's impossible to put down.”

Artemis
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Mon. 20 Aug., 2012 at 1:15:31 AM
Well, at least he was doing something constructive (while driving) and not just putting on makeup.  

Just kidding.

Only a complete moron would think this is alright, and now he's going to get a driver as a result of this.  What a slap in the face to law-abiding, tax-paying citizens.

Yes, you've got a real winner down there.  And not just because of this.   

"Why fit in when you were born to stand out?"  Dr. Seuss

"Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does."  (unknown)

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."  George S. Patton

The poster formerly known as Writer Mom (stolen from Prince)  

dreamer16
   Reply  Top
Not so fast Writer Mom  Actions...
Posted: by Tag on Mon. 20 Aug., 2012 at 4:58:40 PM
In reply to: dreamer16 "..."
The people in Tranna could also point their fingers down the highway to the west.

We've got a real winner here too. :(

He wants to make a lake in the centre of the city. We can't even drive into Springbank park these days even though I've been paying their taxes for 50 years.

Meandering To A Different Drummer

Tag
   Reply  Top
You mean you can not go in  Actions...
Posted: by tigsw_tigsw on Mon. 20 Aug., 2012 at 6:03:52 PM
In reply to: Tag "Not so fast Writer Mom"
and have a family picnic without paying entrance fees? I did not know that. We had so many nice times there.

How is Storybook gardens doing? Is it been kept in good condition

MUSKOKA IS THE NAME NOT THE MUSKOKAS

see facebook page 

If everyone walked on the right hand side when in a crowd you would not bump into each other.                               

█ ♥ █ C a n a d a

tigsw_tigsw
   Reply  Top
From what I understand, you cannot  Actions...
Posted: by Tag on Mon. 20 Aug., 2012 at 11:15:03 PM
In reply to: tigsw_tigsw "You mean you can not go in"
drive in the park at all. It is just for jogging and walking your sweet little animal buddies now. It is a beautiful park and every year we used to go and picnic there and go on the little steam engine.
Storybook Gardens is still there but very reduced. They sent all the sea lions (4) away to the states because they were getting too big for the pool. They all died on route. Sad!

Meandering To A Different Drummer

Tag
   Reply  Top
Another piece of  Actions...
Posted: by tigsw_tigsw on Tue. 21 Aug., 2012 at 9:17:17 AM
In reply to: Tag "From what I understand, you cannot"
beautiful London gone.

MUSKOKA IS THE NAME NOT THE MUSKOKAS

see facebook page 

If everyone walked on the right hand side when in a crowd you would not bump into each other.                               

█ ♥ █ C a n a d a

tigsw_tigsw
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Tue. 21 Aug., 2012 at 7:44:57 PM
In reply to: Tag "From what I understand, you cannot"
You can drive in and park (immediately) at the entrance off of Springbank Drive, but then it's blocked off to in bound traffic.  You have to walk in from there.  Underneath there, below the ravine area and above the river, is the bike path and people also come in from another area  off of Wonderland Road, where there are also a couple of small parking areas (where the Wonderland Gardens used to be).  

The main entrance to Springbank Park is now off of Commissioners Rd. (if it's called this once you reach Byron), somewhere near North Street (I think it's called).  This was always there.  From there you can now drive in straight to one of two parking lots that accommodate the entire west side of the park.  On the right side you can drive to the parking area that's in front of Storybook Gardens and still park there.  Other than that, you can only drive along the road that went above Storybook Gardens and leave by the east exit, which is the one mentioned above on Springbank Drive, but you can't turn around and come back in again or circle around in the place anymore.

This has become a beautiful hiking, walking, biking, rollerblading, skateboarding, picnicking, ball playing, kid's playground type of park, but they have neglected to meet the needs of those who have mobility issues and would like to be in other areas of the park.  It is possible to see these areas by wheelchair, but it would be difficult to just walk -- if one can't walk far -- and be close to their parked vehicle, and that does limit this for a number of people.  If anything they could have left some of the roadways as is, and continued the bike paths (since this does attach to it) alongside it or in alternate locations throughout the park, so that more people could have been accommodated.

Not all of the sea lions went to the States.  One or two went to Marineland, and that's why there's the controversy going on there.  It was the sea lion(s) from Storybook Gardens that perished there, and instead of this just being from the trauma of the move, those inside of Marineland revealed that there were ongoing problems with the place and the seals died as result of poor conditions with the water and other factors that were there.  The other seals died from the trauma of the long trip to the places in the States.

And the truth is that the sea lions weren't sent away from Storybook Gardens because they were getting too big for their area.  This might have been a factor, but if you've been there recently, you'll have noticed, that last year, there were fewer animals than normal, and now there's no animals there at all.  According to a supervisor for the parks and recreation department, these seals and other animals were sent away so that the city could lay off two vets and other employees who cared for these animals.  This was all about our wonderful mayor's 0% tax increase that so many were so enthralled with at election time.  Storybook Gardens itself has become little more than a much larger playground and splash pad for the kiddies with nothing left of its original intent, and one that comes with an admission price.  These politicians seem to believe that this can compete with all that is already out there, and is superior to this and is within driving distance.  We'll soon see...  Even the Toronto Zoo is in financial trouble.  That's the problem when you get too many bureaucrats running organizations that they know nothing about.     

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."  George S. Patton

dreamer16
edited Tue. 21 Aug., 2012 @ 7:46:37 PM by dreamer16

Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Tue. 21 Aug., 2012 at 7:19:54 PM
In reply to: Tag "Not so fast Writer Mom"
That's for sure.  He might not be making the news in quite the same way, but he's rapidly becoming newsworthy and it's not because he's doing anything significant to improve our city. 

I couldn't believe it when I heard that they wanted to create a beach down there.  For what?  So that tourists could swim in our polluted Thames River.  I went down there early last spring, and those great jets of water that they recently installed to spray over the river weren't functioning at all one day and then another, only three were working.  Apparently the entire system had frozen during the winter months and it was now broken.  What a surprise!  Now it's fixed.  These were donated, but the city must continue to pay for any ongoing costs associated with them.  I must admit that it does look nice.  But, a beach, and a wider river area.  Give me a break.  It's perfectly fine how it is.  And where do they plan to put all the cars that will be need to be parked from all of these additional people that they plan to attract down there on a daily basis.  Parking is limited enough downtown as it is.  It's a living nightmare down there whenever they hold festivals in that park so I couldn't imagine living there if it was like this on an ongoing basis.  

dreamer16
   Reply  Top
There will be no driver  Actions...
Posted: by Carol_cp on Tue. 21 Aug., 2012 at 3:54:50 PM
In reply to: dreamer16 "..."
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1244482--mayor-rob-ford-refuses-to-hire-a-driver-after-he-was-seen-reading-on-gardiner-expressway

This is the latest.

Carol_cp
   Reply  Top
Maybe he could walk to work and around the city  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Tue. 21 Aug., 2012 at 4:31:05 PM
In reply to: Carol_cp "There will be no driver"
No cost for a driver or car and, since his failed diet challenge, this might be a great way for him to trim down and improve his health.  He could certainly read while walking, though he might walk into traffic, into a telephone pole or knock down another pedestrian!

Marsha
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by dreamer16 on Tue. 21 Aug., 2012 at 7:54:50 PM
In reply to: Marsha "Maybe he could walk to work and around the city"
Or commute, take the subway... (I have no idea where he lives)  Plenty of time for reading there.  And if he walks into people there, they just might give him a piece of their mind, unlike those police and other officials who have to deal with him and essentially have to kiss his behind.  This man is in great need of a reality check.

dreamer16
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 2 of 2   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »