home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

pets
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Food Trick  Actions...
Posted: by rose_mary on Sat. 30 Jun., 2012 at 8:19:04 AM

I had to put my poor little Crosby (daschund) on a diet. He has to lose 5 pounds (in about 6 months). He was eating his new few for a while but then decided that he didn't like it. So now he just "inhales" it so his brother, Jovi, doesn't get it. Anyways after eating he had been throwing it all up for the last 3 or 4 days. The vet suggested that I use a muffin tin and put a few kibbles in each so he can't eat so quickly. So far, it has really worked. Just an idea for anyone who is having the same problem.

rose_mary
   Reply  Top
Good Trick  Actions...
Posted: by Queen_B on Sat. 30 Jun., 2012 at 12:40:13 PM
In reply to: rose_mary "Food Trick"
My pup likes his kibble much better when he has to forage for it. We have a couple of toys that release food slowly as the dog plays with them. The food can be sitting in his bowl, and he ignores it, but when I put the same food into one of these toys, he eats it all. It has the added benefit of keeping him busy and his mind occupied for a while, too. This also makes him eat slowly.

I've heard of dogs getting pumpkin to help control weight. My dog loves it. Because he's small, he doesn't get a lot. I buy a can once a month and spoon it into ice cube trays and freeze it, and he gets one cube a day. He doesn't have a weight problem, but he could develop one, since he's neutered.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours shine any brighter.

Queen_B
   Reply  Top
Crosby  Actions...
Posted: by Birdle on Sat. 30 Jun., 2012 at 8:19:20 PM
In reply to: rose_mary "Food Trick"
Glad you found a solution.  I know there are dog food bowls on the market with really big bumps in the bottom that really slow ingesting of food down.  You might need this also.

Birdle
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »