home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

pets
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Do you have pet insurance?  Actions...
Posted: by Chatelaine_Team on Mon. 23 Jul., 2012 at 4:41:00 PM
How long have you had it for? Do you think it’s really worth it?

Chatelaine_Team
   Reply  Top
No we don't  Actions...
Posted: by wyliesharon on Mon. 23 Jul., 2012 at 5:13:58 PM
In reply to: Chatelaine_Team "Do you have pet insurance?"
No we don't. I decided instead of  spending  a min. of $60 a month and up, I'd rather put away money monthly in a separate account for her ,in case there are any emergencies.Seeing that insurance does not include,exams,dental, shots,flea-heartworm,ect.
 So she has her own account but she is not allowed to withdraw ,just me. lol

wyliesharon
   Reply  Top
when I had 4 dogs at the same time......,  Actions...
Posted: by fiddledream on Mon. 23 Jul., 2012 at 9:50:57 PM
I figured out how much the premiums would be for the year, and I would have never spent that much money on them in a normal year. So I didn't go for the Insurance.

fiddledream
   Reply  Top
Yes  Actions...
Posted: by Pearl on Mon. 23 Jul., 2012 at 11:30:20 PM

We've had pet insurance for just over a year & half.  Ours does cover dental, $300 a year.  After having massive vet bills the latter 2 months of our last yorkie's life, we decided it was worth taking out.  Coverage is $2,500 per accident per year, $2,500 per illness, per year.  We pay $46.72 per month and there is an annual deductible of $100.

It also covers Boarding Kennel fees if you are hospialized and can't care for your pet.  Holiday cancellation due to pet illness, cremation or burial  - all up to $1,000 ea.

We haven't had to use it and hopefully we won't, but if unfortunately the occasion arises, we know we won't have to mortgage the house to pay for medical bills.

Pearl
   Reply  Top
No ...  Actions...
Posted: by Canandian_Content on Tue. 24 Jul., 2012 at 11:28:21 AM
For the past several years I have rescued older dogs and they are either not eligible or the premiums are completely over the top.

Canandian_Content
   Reply  Top
Still trying to decide  Actions...
Posted: by Fanster on Tue. 24 Jul., 2012 at 2:54:43 PM
We've only had our dog for 3 months.  We are still trying to decide if we should take out the insurance, or just pay for whatever occurs..  Its about 500.00 a year for a decent coverage, and with the deductible, we're wondering if its worth it. You really must shop around.  The cheapest I found is with the CAA, and you can get something for around 30.00/month.

Fanster
   Reply  Top
No.  Actions...
Posted: by Queen_B on Tue. 24 Jul., 2012 at 3:10:03 PM
I don't think it's worth it. I think the premiums are more than I am likely to spend if I have to pay out of pocket, especially since regular care isn't covered.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours shine any brighter.

Queen_B
   Reply  Top
Yes..  Actions...
Posted: by rose_mary on Mon. 30 Jul., 2012 at 8:49:05 AM
we've had it for our youngest dog (3 years old) and besides the $100 wellness coverage /year (check-up etc.), I don't think it is worth it. It costs about $45/month and I think it would be better to put that amount away each month in case of an emergency, as someone else mentioned. At least in that way, if you never have to use it you will still have the money. I think we are going to cancel it. We should have had if for our older dog (9 years) because he has had medical issues that have added up to a few thousand dollars. That being said....we would always find the money to pay for vet bills to take care of our babies.

rose_mary
   Reply  Top
I am wondering about pet insurance  Actions...
Posted: by _temp_ on Mon. 30 Jul., 2012 at 8:05:27 PM
and honestly feel it is a ripoff
with my recent adoption of my cat I get 6 weeks of pet insurance but there is a $75 deductible
some vets really know how to tug at your guilt strings to make you pay more money
someone was telling me there was a marketplace type show about how vets are trained to just go after your wallet maybe it was Marketplace

_temp_
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »