home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

sex & relationships
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Help! Black tie event  Actions...
Posted: by lisab on Fri. 24 Feb., 2012 at 10:03:37 PM
Not sure if appropriate to post here...but it does involve a relationship with the opposite sex :)

I've recently started dating someone and he has invited me to attend a black tie charity event with him. There is a silent and live auction, a brief speech, and some dancing after.

I have no idea how to dress and get made up for this. Help!

Any tips, websites, suggestions would be most welcome.

Thank you!
Lisab

lisab
   Reply  Top
This might get moved to the other forum  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Fri. 24 Feb., 2012 at 10:34:53 PM
In reply to: lisab "Help! Black tie event"
but the first thing you have to do is relax!  How flattering for you that this guy is asking you to accompany him! 

Do you have time to visit your favorite salon and discuss hair styles ahead of time? I just spent a fun evening with a woman who sells Mary Kay and she gave me some terrific makeup tips. 

What do you have in your closet already for more formal events?

Give us a little more to go on!

When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. ― Bob Dylan

The poster formerly known as plexy (stolen from Jack Johnson)  and before that known as sexyplexy (nickname just for fun!)  ;)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
when in doubt  Actions...
Posted: by Simply_Trying on Fri. 24 Feb., 2012 at 11:01:08 PM
The little black dress seems to always be the way to go .  Has for hair do, if your hair is long and up do is classic but for a more modern look half up half down do is popular.   Smokey eyes seem the popular right now. 

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
Henry David Thoreau

Simply_Trying
   Reply  Top
Why not post in Beauty & Fashion?  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Sat. 25 Feb., 2012 at 7:43:26 AM
Seems the most logical forum, since your questions are about beauty and fashion.

As ST said, a "little black dress" would be perfect but you can also stand out in something jewel toned since the "LBD" is sort of ubiquitous.  You don't need something full length (I think very few women wear long gowns all that much any more) so you can do knee length or cocktail length.  As for the rest, you should still look like yourself - basically a hairdo similar to what you wear most of the time, maybe poufed up a bit or made a bit more special but you do want to be comfortable and also still look like yourself.  As for makeup - go with your "every day" type look but a little amped up - a red lip, a bit "more" colour, shadow, etc.  ST mentioned the "smokey eye" and that could be an okay look except that for a lot of us, we end up looking either like we've got 2 black eyes or we've just emerged from the crypt, so if you don't normally for for that sort of look or if you're say, 35 or over, be very, very careful.

Marsha
   Reply  Top
It calls  Actions...
Posted: by LunaGypsy on Sat. 25 Feb., 2012 at 9:08:31 AM

for a floor length dress. 

Edited to add. For your reference.

http://sophisticatedmatchmaking.com/Events/BlackTieEvents/tabid/174/Default.aspx

Prostitution isn't sex only, it’s you do what I say, sex.Catharine MacKinnon

Sexual liberation for women cannot be achieved as long as we normalize unequal sexual practices where a man dominates a woman.

LunaGypsy
edited Sat. 25 Feb., 2012 @ 9:11:57 AM by LunaGypsy
edited Sat. 25 Feb., 2012 @ 9:39:25 AM by LunaGypsy

Reply  Top
is this an annual event?  Actions...
Posted: by itsmeagain on Sat. 25 Feb., 2012 at 11:19:29 AM

You should google (image) the name of the event and your city, you might find pics of what was worn last year to give you an idea of how formal you need to be.  You might even see your date with last year's date!

I hope you have a great time.

Please forgive the typos . . . spell check doesn't seem to work for me!

itsmeagain
   Reply  Top
Black tie is fun  Actions...
Posted: by tigsw_tigsw on Sat. 25 Feb., 2012 at 8:09:43 PM
the consignment shops are a good place to look. Simple and elegant. I cheat when I cruise. Black silky pants or grey silver with matching top...I have several tops so I can change the look and a classy shawl plus sparkly jewellery and sandals.It works and I do it every time I cruise.

Have fun with it. Take a peek at the Oscars tomorrow night.

I love smokey eyes.Salons will do your makeup and hair. Go in once before the big night and try it out.

Silent auctions are fun too...I was at one this afternoon...I am wondering more about that and what expense might be involved for you if any. Be sure to carry an evening purse not just for the auction but it is needed for fast makeup touches etc. Do carry some money with you.

Let us know what you decide to wear...do not mean to frighten you on the silent auction...you do not have to take part if you do not want to. Wow such a neat event for you.

MUSKOKA IS THE NAME NOT THE MUSKOKAS

see facebook page 

If everyone walked on the right hand side when in a crowd you would not bump into each other.                               

█ ♥ █ C a n a d a

tigsw_tigsw
   Reply  Top
As I understand from silent auctions here...  Actions...
Posted: by TheCoho on Wed. 29 Feb., 2012 at 12:29:39 PM
In reply to: tigsw_tigsw "Black tie is fun"

winners are contacted after the event so they can pay up then. Bidders are required to enter all their contact information as they write down their bid.

I don't think, therefore, that you have to carry cash or a cheque book to the event.

You don't even have to bid if you don't see anything you want.

Coho salmon are prized for their excellent fighting abilities and acrobatics

TheCoho
   Reply  Top
Just a side note  Actions...
Posted: by tigsw_tigsw on Thu. 1 Mar., 2012 at 10:51:43 AM
In reply to: TheCoho "As I understand from silent auctions here..."
the silent auction I mentioned was done differently this time... more like a penny sale...there were various baskets full of neat items...you put your name and telephone number down beside a number on the page..then you made a cash donation to the food bank...they in turn drew a name and on Monday people were notified...I won a useful $50.00 gift certificate and a book. It saved them trying to collect money at the end. Usually with silent auctions you really have to make the final bid and wait until the end of the event to do it...so some of them do collect the money on the spot.

other times you are called the next working day

Moral: I have to stop spending money LOL

MUSKOKA IS THE NAME NOT THE MUSKOKAS

see facebook page 

If everyone walked on the right hand side when in a crowd you would not bump into each other.                               

█ ♥ █ C a n a d a

tigsw_tigsw
   Reply  Top
I Would Wear  Actions...
Posted: by Queen_B on Wed. 29 Feb., 2012 at 10:21:50 AM
a long dress.

My favourite store to buy these is Belissima. Not sure if you have this store where you are. I've found a couple of gowns there for 80% off the original price. Winners can have good finds sometimes, too. As others have said, consignment stores can be treasure troves. (Alas, we seem to have fewer and fewer good ones in Calgary.)

Happy shopping and have fun at the event.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours shine any brighter.

Queen_B
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »