home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

technology
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Here's a weird one  Actions...
Posted: by usedtobekarenr on Thu. 21 Jun., 2012 at 2:02:25 AM

when at my bro's I used his computer to send email back home.  Today my SIL called to say she was getting my gmail.  I used webmail but she doesn't have gmail so has not downloaded anything.  Now when I get gmail, she gets it too.

Any suggestions as to how to stop this?  Can she delete gmail (which she hasn't got anyway) Huh?

usedtobekarenr
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by Artemis on Thu. 21 Jun., 2012 at 12:18:57 PM
In reply to: usedtobekarenr "Here's a weird one"

How is she getting your gmail -- through another webmail platform (like yahoo), or through an email client (like Outlook)?

I experience something similar when I was travelling with a friend a year -- I checked my gmail, logged out, and then she went to check her gmail ... and found it was still logged in for me. IIRC, I think clearing the cache completely did the trick. I'd advise your SIL to do that as a first step: go Tools > Internet Options > General > "delete" under Browsing History > select "temp internet files" and "cookies" then click Delete.

But without knowing where your email is showing up it's hard to say more.

“I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. It's impossible to put down.”

Artemis
   Reply  Top
I agree it's hard to say  Actions...
Posted: by usedtobekarenr on Thu. 21 Jun., 2012 at 2:10:27 PM
In reply to: Artemis "..."

Problem is, she is not very computer literate, and says when she opens her browser it's on her home page.  I believe from thinking back that Google is her home page and I asked about a gmail box, but it's impossible for her to explain and me to picture it.  She does not use gmail, so it isn't in her box.  I will first suggest that she open and log out (I probably forgot to do that), then go thru the steps you outline.  These things are hard to do long-distance so I hope she comes to visit soon :)

usedtobekarenr
   Reply  Top
happened to be in FS today  Actions...
Posted: by usedtobekarenr on Fri. 22 Jun., 2012 at 2:06:15 AM
In reply to: usedtobekarenr "I agree it's hard to say"

and the service guy (not the sales guy) said it's probably because I didn't log out, so that sounds like the simplest thing to try.

usedtobekarenr
   Reply  Top
...........  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Fri. 22 Jun., 2012 at 3:08:42 PM
In reply to: usedtobekarenr "happened to be in FS today"
was going to mention; get your friend to log out of your gmail. This happened when I was visiting DD and left my gmail open. I ended up changing my password just in case her laptop remembered mine.

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
I do remember  Actions...
Posted: by usedtobekarenr on Sat. 23 Jun., 2012 at 1:42:53 PM
In reply to: green_sleeves "..........."

not clicking the "remember me" box, so that's OK.  I emailed her to log me out but haven't heard back yet.

usedtobekarenr
   Reply  Top
I suggested she log me out  Actions...
Posted: by usedtobekarenr on Sat. 23 Jun., 2012 at 11:23:05 PM
In reply to: usedtobekarenr "I do remember"

and she did, but lost her Chrome.  Don't ask me how, as I couldn't see what she was doing.  But eventually she said whooopee it's back and everything's normal and your mail isn't here.  So, all's well.

usedtobekarenr
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »