home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

technology
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Laptop security  Actions...
Posted: by usedtobekarenr on Wed. 20 Jun., 2012 at 3:55:18 PM

On my desktops I have Telus Security which really does the job.  But finally bought a laptop for travel and wonder:  if I'm not on Telus internet (hotel, eg) then my Telus won't do much good.  What would be my best bet?  I'm thinking Windows Defender and AVG.  Any other ideas?

BTW, this is not daily, heavy use...I'm talking vacations, mainly to upload pics from my camera to view and delete along the way, with occasional checking the net and mail.  Don't think I'd do any banking on a public network.

usedtobekarenr
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by Artemis on Wed. 20 Jun., 2012 at 5:48:28 PM
In reply to: usedtobekarenr "Laptop security"

Check out this link for advice about the pros and cons of various (free) security packages.

I know a lot of folks have complained about AVG being a resource hog. I haven't experienced that ... until just the last week or so. I have the full, paid version of AVG on my work computer -- the licence expires in a month or so and I'm considering going with another option. The free version of AVG I have on my home computer is less of a problem.

However my own experience with Telus Security was highly unsatisfactory -- I'm sure it was doing its job but I found slowed things down to a painful degree.

“I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. It's impossible to put down.”

Artemis
   Reply  Top
security  Actions...
Posted: by usedtobekarenr on Thu. 21 Jun., 2012 at 1:58:25 AM
In reply to: Artemis "..."

thanks for the review of AVG.  I wasn't high on it anyway.  I've never found a problem with telus security.  When it does a scan while I'm using the computer I don't even notice it.

usedtobekarenr
   Reply  Top
personally  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Wed. 20 Jun., 2012 at 6:22:15 PM
I'd go with Windows Security Essentials. I used it on my old machine and was the first program I downloaded to the new beastie. Works great!
Can't comment on WD as I have it turned off and use Malwarebytes. 
I'd use it if I didn't have my real time scanner Malwarebytes (DS bought it for me).
I wouldn't touch AVG with a ten foot pole.

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
I'll go with that one  Actions...
Posted: by usedtobekarenr on Thu. 21 Jun., 2012 at 1:59:47 AM
In reply to: green_sleeves "personally"

I'll download Security Essentials instead of using Defender.  Didn't want AVG anyway and if this program has an av, I'll be happy.

usedtobekarenr
   Reply  Top
Defender  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Thu. 21 Jun., 2012 at 2:22:28 PM
In reply to: usedtobekarenr "I'll go with that one"
isn't an antivirus program- my new machine came with it (I did a search and it showed up  but it isn't activated)  because I use another spyware/malware program. Windows Security Essentials is a real time scanning antivirus program.
"Windows Defender is a free product from Microsoft that protects Windows computers from Adware and Spyware."

Edited to add- why not use Defender as a complementary program to WSE?

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
edited Thu. 21 Jun., 2012 @ 2:23:45 PM by green_sleeves
edited Thu. 21 Jun., 2012 @ 4:54:45 PM by green_sleeves

Reply  Top
Ah, so  Actions...
Posted: by usedtobekarenr on Fri. 22 Jun., 2012 at 2:04:22 AM
In reply to: green_sleeves "Defender"

having both would be good coverage.  I hadn't yet looked into Defender and didn't know it was not av, so will go with Essentials.  If Essentials doesn't have spyware I'll go with both.

Thanks, g_s

usedtobekarenr
   Reply  Top
In Case  Actions...
Posted: by Queen_B on Fri. 22 Jun., 2012 at 11:38:11 AM
you do want to do online banking or other activities where you might be entering personal date (e.g. making an online purchase), you can install Trusteer Rapport in addition to your antivirus and firewall programs. In fact, you may want to install this on your home computer, as well.

But I don't understand why the antivirus Telus provides won't work on your laptop when you're travelling. I haven't found that to be the case with my Shaw Secure software in the past. Did you check with Telus on this?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours shine any brighter.

Queen_B
   Reply  Top
new info  Actions...
Posted: by usedtobekarenr on Fri. 22 Jun., 2012 at 2:28:58 PM
In reply to: Queen_B "In Case"

I do have Rapport on my desktops but hadn't thought of that for the laptop.

I don't know for sure that Telus wouldn't work...just thought that with a public network (hotel) they would not necessarily have Telus.  As I said at first, this is my first laptop so lots I don't know.  I just thought my telus security might not work with a different provider.  I do have it on my list to check with telus, so will do that for sure before I do anything else.

Thanks for that input, QB

usedtobekarenr
   Reply  Top
internet access  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Fri. 22 Jun., 2012 at 3:06:12 PM
In reply to: usedtobekarenr "new info"
has nothing to do with software you have installed on your laptop.
This is why we are all connected via the WWW we can access our information anywhere on the planet.
Similar to a cell phone. Googling 'free wifi spots' for any area you are planning on going. If you are unsure of anything- word your search just like you are asking a short question to a real person.
If you have a smart phone you can use that as a wireless modem. Then you never have to worry as long as you can get reception.Grin

Here is what you need to know about connecting to wifi hotspots- (I am sure 'help and support' would have this information? It has wizards to lead you though many steps of various actions. 

green_sleeves
edited Fri. 22 Jun., 2012 @ 5:58:49 PM by green_sleeves

Reply  Top
Well, Thank yoooouuuuu  Actions...
Posted: by usedtobekarenr on Sat. 23 Jun., 2012 at 1:46:59 PM
In reply to: green_sleeves "internet access"

for the "dummies" linkEmbarassed

I didn't have any probs connecting (except at one hotel) but was unsure about what security to put on.  Finally had an online chat with Telus and cleared it all up - my Telus Internet Security and Trusteer Rapport will do the job, as it protects my unit no matter what server I'm using.  Downloaded yesterday and got it running perfectly.  Now I can even feel OK using online banking, which I didn't do on the trip, just in case, being on a public network

edited to add:  I don't have a smart phone.  Mine is so dumb it never rings hahaha

usedtobekarenr
edited Sat. 23 Jun., 2012 @ 1:48:13 PM by usedtobekarenr

Reply  Top
hee hee  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Sat. 23 Jun., 2012 at 2:28:33 PM
In reply to: usedtobekarenr "Well, Thank yoooouuuuu"
I didn't realize the books for dummies was sharing their information online. One would think a better name could have been thought up.Grin
Yes, my phone isn't smart either. If it does ring there is a dummy on the other end LOL. Telemarkerters and surveys 99% of the time. The other 1% is DH phoning me from the stores asking what else needs to be picked up or if something on sale is needed that wasn't on the list.
Yes, if you are unfamiliar with laptops and WiFi the first few weeks can be quite the learning curve.
If I had to buy one the first thing off the shelves would be a wireless mouse. My fingers are too twitchy for touch pads and I type like an idiot on flat keyboards. Maybe an android tablet would like me better.Dead

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
Oh, those touchpads  Actions...
Posted: by usedtobekarenr on Sun. 24 Jun., 2012 at 4:28:18 PM
In reply to: green_sleeves "hee hee"
we bought the laptop in a Source store in a mall where our hotel was.  He said if you have any problems bring it right back.  About half an hour later we walked in and he said "back already?!" and I said I NEED A MOUSE!  He laughed very hard Grin and I bought a cheapy for $9.99.  If we're only using it for travel we don't need anything fancy, but may have to upgrade in the future to a really decent one.

usedtobekarenr
   Reply  Top
lol  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Sun. 24 Jun., 2012 at 7:18:33 PM
In reply to: usedtobekarenr "Oh, those touchpads"
You can get a Logitech cordless mouse for $22.99 at FS.  All my mice are from this company, the tiny nana wireless chip never has to be taken out because they are so small.
They come in many colours- I like this one:
Logitech Wireless Optical Mouse (M305) - Floral

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
So is mine  Actions...
Posted: by usedtobekarenr on Mon. 25 Jun., 2012 at 1:38:29 AM
In reply to: green_sleeves "lol"

a Logitech.  Is that one a laptop size or full size?  DH keeps saying we need a better one, but I say this laptop is for travel only and will not be used enough to worry about it.  I'm sure he'll win out in the end.

usedtobekarenr
   Reply  Top
personal preferance  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Mon. 25 Jun., 2012 at 3:16:16 PM
In reply to: usedtobekarenr "So is mine"
any wireless mouse (big or compact) can be used for a laptop. Some like the compact ones just because they are smaller- others like a normal sized one for comfort. I am sure one can stuff a mouse and spare batteries in most laptop cases.

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
Too true  Actions...
Posted: by usedtobekarenr on Tue. 26 Jun., 2012 at 2:09:52 PM
In reply to: green_sleeves "personal preferance"

the larger one is best, but for the amount this one will be used...

Went to Staples for whatever and looked at laptop cases.  We don't need some magnificent thing, just a padded case.  Found a good Roots one that said $7.99.   Of course we took it, but it scanned at $39.95.  I had another look and it said $7.99 off (oops) but was still listed at $16.99 (a good price anyway).  Again it scanned at $39.95.  Finally got a guy who handscanned it, and said it was an error, and we got it for $16.99.  It has side pockets where the cord and teeny mouse fit perfectly.  It's just going to sit in the cupboard til our next trip anyway.

edited to add: mouse is wireless and the sender is the size of a chicklet

usedtobekarenr
edited Tue. 26 Jun., 2012 @ 2:10:47 PM by usedtobekarenr

Reply  Top
good deal!  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Tue. 26 Jun., 2012 at 3:59:15 PM
In reply to: usedtobekarenr "Too true"
I love it when the scanner messes up or a flyer has a typo. That is a great price for a case.
 Years ago FS advertised a Microsoft wireless comfort curve keyboard for $45 (regular price was $145 haa haa). They had to honour the flyer price so that was a great deal.
Then I wanted a Logitech Performance MX mouse- again the store made a mistake and got it for 1/3 the priceThumb up.
Then.....after buying my new beastie (and finding out the Microsoft keyboard had the wrong type plug) Best Buy had a similar Logitech combo on sale for what we paid just for the first keyboard. The Unifying receiver for both is as you said smaller than a chicklet- I have it plugged into one of the front ports because I wanted to use my better mouse which had it's own wee but bigger receiver and they were not getting along so needed to be separated like misbehaving children.
Really need to get rid of our ever growing box of spare parts. Think we have 4 spare keyboards, 3 wired mice, one wireless, the old computer, two monitors.......gadzooks this stuff piles up over the years.Grin

green_sleeves
edited Tue. 26 Jun., 2012 @ 4:00:26 PM by green_sleeves

Reply  Top
Remember the Icon Wars?  Actions...
Posted: by usedtobekarenr on Wed. 27 Jun., 2012 at 1:25:05 AM
In reply to: green_sleeves "good deal!"

There is also a reproduction war...the box with assorted spare parts gets more full every week - mice, cables, etc.  We each have a desktop and there is an old one in my closet and one in DH's, 3 keyboards in the desk.  I mean really,  how about the recycle place?

usedtobekarenr
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »