home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

technology
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Web Design  Actions...
Posted: by Goatsonatree on Thu. 28 Jun., 2012 at 8:34:38 PM

Am thinking I'd like to learn Web Design. I'm older (under 60) and have no need to learn this as I don't want to built a website for myself, but I'm curious. Am I crazy to do this? I like computers.

What's a good way to learn Web Design? Online? Community College? University?  Any comments to this would be appreciated. Thanks !

Goatsonatree
   Reply  Top
......  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Fri. 29 Jun., 2012 at 1:30:04 AM
In reply to: Goatsonatree "Web Design"
I think learning anything is easier if you learn hands on by simply doing it. Of course that is easier said than done if you have no clue what is expected of you.
I applaud you for wanting to learn something new- most of us could use a bit of learning something else besides chat forums, emails, pictures and web surfing. That can get boring and isn't learning after you've done it a zillion times.
 I am guilty of spending hours doing mundane mind numbing stuff.  I love computers too and should pull up my boots and expand my shrinking mind.Grin
I sit here with a wonderful machine and many days it is looked at like just another chore to check emails when I know I am capable of so much more (and so is this poor machine- it is like owning a race car to do grocery shopping LOL). Roll of the eyes
The best I can do is give a few decent links to give you ideas of what others in the field or thinking of this endeavour are doing or have done.
This is a start-
And more here. Here is a little video about web design.
If you decide you'd rather learn with other people your local university or collage should have some information on where to go (if they don't teach this course). You will need a laptop for out of the home computer courses. Unless they provide computers but then you can't bring your homework home.

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »