home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

technology
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
The importance of a restore point.....  Actions...
Posted: by Aggie on Fri. 27 Jul., 2012 at 10:36:32 AM

I have an old copy of Nero 7 that I managed to make compatible with windows 7 but some downloaded movies lack sound and therefore I can't burn a copy. So I tried a codex site recommended by Greensleeves I think but then either I did not know how to set the settings or else it just would not work. So I went ahead and uninstalled the codex. Well to make a long story short after the uninstall I was unable to hear audio of any movies while using Media Player. I could hear audio before using WMP.

Installing and uninstalling the codex pack did nothing so somehow I must have removed files/setting from WMP.

I always manually create a restore point before installing any new program and so I simply went to System Restore and selected the newly created restore point and all was fine again.

I highly recommend the creation of restore points before installing any new program.

To manually create a RP simply follow the instructions as found in the Help and Support menu in the start menu and search for "create restore point".

Aggie
   Reply  Top
that was close!  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Fri. 27 Jul., 2012 at 1:06:33 PM
In reply to: Aggie "The importance of a restore point....."
I must say something went terribly wrong. I've downloaded k-lite or whatever the codec site was called with my old xp with narry a problem. 
But yes, restore points are so very important- I've been noticing more programs want you to create one before the installation.

Now.....what interests me is how in the name of Job did you get Nero 7 to work with Windows 7? I tried installing Nero 8 Pro and it wouldn't work for love or money. I tried compatibly mode....nothing worked so I un-installed it and just a few days ago installed Nero 11. (God what a big program LOL)....but I did uninstall a lot of useless components.
We have a wonderful program called Distant Suns that DH loved to play with and that won't work either.Brood

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
Nero 7  Actions...
Posted: by Aggie on Fri. 27 Jul., 2012 at 7:53:02 PM
In reply to: green_sleeves "that was close!"

I wrote to Nero asking about its compatibility with windows 7 and they told me it was not and offered me a deal on Nero 9. Well I would not take NO for an answer and started to play around with it because according to this windows site it is compatible. I had checked with the Windows 7 advisor and found this info.

Nero 7 with Windows 7

I think I simply installed as Administrator rights and it has  been working ever since I installed windows 7. I even gave a copy of my Nero 7 to my friend and it is working on his windows 7 as well. It must be working in compatibility mode but it works with the 64 bit Win 7.

I mentioned this is a post a long time ago.

But once in a blue moon a downloaded movie will show video but no sound. So I downloaded the codex pack from your post. I got a message that I need to make sure I had an updated copy of DirectX which I downloaded first. The the codex pack but when I tried to burn a recent movie using Nero 7 there was no sound. The same movie had video and sound when played with Windows Media player. So I did a complete uninstall and remember one screen asking if I wanted to remove all settings. I clicked Yes. Went back to Windows player and there was no sound. I then did a complete reinstall of the codex pack and I got the sound back in WP but not Nero 7.

So hence I went back to the restore point I had created and all was fine.

So I have no idea if I did something incorrectly with the codex download but whatever happened I couldn't get audio with Nero 7. It's Funny because Nero 7 works so well with all the other movies I download for my GD.. She likes the Disney movies like Dumbo, Cinderella, Smurfs etc

Aggie
   Reply  Top
must have forgotten that post!  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Sat. 28 Jul., 2012 at 12:25:35 AM
In reply to: Aggie "Nero 7"
I don't know why I couldn't get Nero 8 to work on mine but I ran it with administrator rights' and it would not work. Must have not understood something when I was setting up this machine.
I gave up and ended getting Nero 11 for half price last week.

Sorry you had such a mess with your computer but glad you have it sorted out.Thumb up

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
This may astonish you...  Actions...
Posted: by usedtobekarenr on Sat. 28 Jul., 2012 at 6:00:27 PM
In reply to: green_sleeves "must have forgotten that post!"

but I can do something greensleeves can't!!  I use Nero 8 in my Win7, never had a problem with install or use.  Remember I put a multiple menu onto my vacation dvd,and it works great!

usedtobekarenr
   Reply  Top
harumph....  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Sat. 28 Jul., 2012 at 7:20:28 PM
In reply to: usedtobekarenr "This may astonish you..."
Brood (wish I'd of known or to think to ask you.....) meh. ugh. meh.Dead
I do like Nero 8 much better than 11. Too many actions to get where I need to be. 
LOL.....I thought you were using nero on your dh's old XP machine.Brokenheart

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
aawwww  Actions...
Posted: by usedtobekarenr on Sun. 29 Jul., 2012 at 3:33:48 PM
In reply to: green_sleeves "harumph...."

sorry about that.  I actually forgot I installed Nero on this machine.  As you know, I rather hate Nero, but it does do things others can't.

usedtobekarenr
   Reply  Top
So does this.......?  Actions...
Posted: by Aggie on Mon. 30 Jul., 2012 at 6:57:16 PM
In reply to: usedtobekarenr "aawwww"
Does this make me the undisputed champion by getting Nero 7 working in windows 7 64 bit.....?     lol (well not quite as my friend has no trouble at all with the copy I gave him for his 64 bit win 7).......

Aggie
   Reply  Top
You win the toaster!  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Mon. 30 Jul., 2012 at 9:03:11 PM
In reply to: Aggie "So does this.......?"
I don't know how far back your post was for doing this or how the heck you did it in the first place....ifn i hadn't installed Nero 11  I would ask you (or usedtobekarenr) to explain what the steps were.. but too late now LOL.

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
Just search for Nero on.....  Actions...
Posted: by Aggie on Tue. 31 Jul., 2012 at 6:17:54 PM
In reply to: green_sleeves "You win the toaster!"
Just do a search for Nero on this forum to see the thread on Nero and my posts. I believe the posts are circa 2009.........

Aggie
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »