home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

technology
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
e readers  Actions...
Posted: by chesleygirl on Sat. 4 Aug., 2012 at 5:18:53 PM
I was wondering what the difference and what does everyone prefer , the Kobo or the Sony e reader?  I have a rewards programme at work and these two are the ones available. thanks for the input

chesleygirl
   Reply  Top
I don't own one  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Sat. 4 Aug., 2012 at 6:43:57 PM
In reply to: chesleygirl "e readers"
but you can check online reviews to see what features you like. Usually I stay away from Sony (too many propriety issues) but since you didn't mention what model of each you are deciding on here is one for Sony and another one for Kobe.
The Kobe sounds like the better ereader. It is too hot to read right now so hopefully someone here actually owns one and can give you better information.....post what models they are to make it easy to find any information on the web. I don't know what type of batteries the Sony one takes but I bet they have to be Sony made. but may be wrong.Undecided
Here is more information from PC World.

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
edited Sat. 4 Aug., 2012 @ 6:55:44 PM by green_sleeves

Reply  Top
A comparative review......  Actions...
Posted: by Aggie on Sat. 4 Aug., 2012 at 6:56:07 PM

Ereader review

My niece had a Sony and said it really "sucked". Her word not mine. Now my close friend has a Sony and he likes it.

My niece bought a Kobo color and loves it. My friend's Sony is very light but the wi-fi is very odd. Its a B & W model and has some kind of browser I think but his screen flickers and is very annoying. He downloads all his books for free and has no trouble adding them to his sony.

I have a cheap tablet/ereader color with wi-fi. I also download all my books for free. Mine has the Kobo reader on it and I simply download ebooks directly or move them from my computer or memory card.  As mine has many apps on it including email, photos, music etc I use mine for more things than just ereading. I can take the SD card from my camera and plug it into the tablet and show my pictures on a 9"screen. I can play music(mp3) while reading. Being a tablet mine is very heavy compared to the Kobo or Sony.

So as far as ereaders go I think you would either one unless you would want one that does more than eread. I would suggest going to a Futureshop(Best buy) and trying them out. They carry both the Kobo and Sony and others cheaper tablet/readers.

Aggie
   Reply  Top
thanks for the input  Actions...
Posted: by chesleygirl on Sat. 4 Aug., 2012 at 8:09:44 PM
In reply to: Aggie "A comparative review......"
thanks, i would but i'm not near any big stores to check them out. Our library lends out the sony so i'll check it out there. But it's always good to get personal opinions as well

chesleygirl
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by Artemis on Tue. 14 Aug., 2012 at 1:43:43 PM

I test-drove a Sony e-reader for a while, and didn't like it at all. But I really, really, really like my Kobo. Now I know the Sony design has since improved, but I'd still go for a Kobo next time.

Of course your third option is to go with a Kindle, which also compares very favourably. But if you're going to be getting a lot of ebooks from your library, you'll want to find out which platforms they support.

Going tablet has a lot of advantages too -- you can do other things with it, and you can download the right app so that you can read any "brand" of ebook. But it has disadvantages too -- aside from weight/size/portability, the battery typically doesn't last nearly as long between charges as an ereader does.

“I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. It's impossible to put down.”

Artemis
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »