home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

travel
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 2   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Turks & Caicos ☼☀☼  Actions...
Posted: by Amoura on Tue. 6 Dec., 2011 at 7:48:18 PM
So excited to trade the white of snow for the white sand of a beach.  I have a pile of bathing suits and sundresses started, ready to be packed and will be there in just over a week.  

Anyone else getting away for the holidays?  It sure does make winter more bearable.

“L'envie d'autrui a, du moins, cet avantage parfois de nous faire découvrir notre propre bonheur.’’ ~Charles Régismanset 

ॐ नमः शिवाय                                                    

Amoura
   Reply  Top
Reply  Actions...
Posted: by Carol_cp on Wed. 7 Dec., 2011 at 1:41:52 PM
In reply to: Amoura "Turks & Caicos ☼☀☼"
We will be in a warmer place for 3 weeks later in the month,followed by another 2 weeks late Jan and a 10 day cruise later on.Then NYC in the early spring and Sedona and then to Ottawa for a wedding.Top that off with the wedding of DS and a third trip to Paris next fall.

We've been together for 40 years.Recently,a very close friend  of ours came close to death.May as well seize the time while we can.DH has 2 excellent assistants and with modern technology,the office runs quite well,even if he needs to spend time daily dealing with business.

Carol_cp
   Reply  Top
Its a wonderful life  Actions...
Posted: by tigsw_tigsw on Wed. 7 Dec., 2011 at 3:37:27 PM
In reply to: Carol_cp "Reply"
and do not mean to dampen it...I too travel but not to that extent...I always wonder about the people who can not afford to and have to spend the  winter sufffering with various ailments made even more uncomfortable due to the cold. They may go through depressed periods due to that as well. 

Life can be unbalanced.

I have been thinking about donating some SAD (think that is what they are called)lights to rest homes.

MUSKOKA IS THE NAME NOT THE MUSKOKAS

see facebook page 

If everyone walked on the right hand side when in a crowd you would not bump into each other.                               

█ ♥ █ C a n a d a

tigsw_tigsw
   Reply  Top
Life is short  Actions...
Posted: by Amoura on Wed. 7 Dec., 2011 at 6:54:43 PM
In reply to: Carol_cp "Reply"
And that is why DH and I also travel extensively, to warm places such as Turks and Hawaii every year, to Europe every second year, and really far away places like Thailand and China for a taste of something completely different.  We also cruise, our most favourite being the Caribbean.  Travel is the one luxury I don't consider a luxury at all.  It is very therapeutic to get away from the day to day.

“L'envie d'autrui a, du moins, cet avantage parfois de nous faire découvrir notre propre bonheur.’’ ~Charles Régismanset 

ॐ नमः शिवाय                                                    

Amoura
   Reply  Top
enjoy!  Actions...
Posted: by sueabc on Wed. 7 Dec., 2011 at 8:13:34 PM
In reply to: Amoura "Turks & Caicos ☼☀☼"
Never been there, but it sounds lovely.  Generally I'm not a huge fan of the Carribean, though Barbados is a fav. & quite different from the other islands.   Are your kids going with you?  I think you said in a thread that you have kids living at home. Is there lots to do there?

We're going away the day after Xmas.  Then for school break in the winter, we usually go to Whistler to ski, and do an adventure trip in the summer, often in Europe.   However, we're thinking of Costa Rica this winter school break for an adventure trip. 

Previous poster mentioned Sedona; lovely place, need to go back there. We spent a few days hiking there, before spending time hiking in the Grand Canyon. 

sueabc
edited Wed. 7 Dec., 2011 @ 8:19:42 PM by sueabc

Reply  Top
sueabc  Actions...
Posted: by Amoura on Wed. 7 Dec., 2011 at 8:33:05 PM
In reply to: sueabc "enjoy!"
I haven't been to Barbados yet, but have heard great things about it.  Perhaps we will try that in the future.  How is it different, in your opinion, from the other islands?

Our children are ot going with us.  It is an adult-only resort, and one child would not be old enough.  They have their own plans, and we will be together after Christmas.  We are going the week before Christmas because it is much less busy then the week after, and I prefer it that way.

Activities in Turks include ocean kayaking, windsurfing, golf, tennis, sailing (our personal favourite), snorkeling, and there is even a circus school at the resort where they teach you how to use a trapeze.

We have been to Whisler too, and have also visited Jasper, Banff, and Lake Louise, which are very easy to get to for us by car.

Your destinations sound very interesting, and you sound like someone with wanderlust, like myself.

ॐ नमः शिवाय                                                    

Amoura
   Reply  Top
we enjoy exploring  Actions...
Posted: by sueabc on Wed. 7 Dec., 2011 at 9:08:32 PM
In reply to: Amoura "sueabc"
Oh, that's too bad!  But then I can't imagine going away without my kids.  They're awesome travelers and we really enjoy traveling and exploring with them, and have done since they were little.  One had been to three continents before turning four years old!  We like to really get into the country and off the beaten/tourist track, usually being quite active.
Barbados seems like a very livable place, and you can mix with the locals and get involved in the local community quite easily; doesn't seem like just a tourist place -  at least it's much easier to not feel like just part of the tourist trap.  Lots of neat places to explore and lovely history there too.  That's what I meant about T & C -  there must be some neat places to explore there, that are unique to T & C - ?

sueabc
edited Wed. 7 Dec., 2011 @ 9:16:48 PM by sueabc

Reply  Top
For sure  Actions...
Posted: by Amoura on Wed. 7 Dec., 2011 at 9:50:25 PM
In reply to: sueabc "we enjoy exploring"
We will probably rent a Jeep and do a tour of the island.  I beleive they have some salt mines and we will also check out the local real estate as we are considering buyng a home there. 

But the biggest draw for us is the beach and the ocean.  We live in a land-locked province and I love swimming, sailing, and being on the beach.

ॐ नमः शिवाय                                                    

Amoura
edited Wed. 7 Dec., 2011 @ 9:51:31 PM by Amoura

Reply  Top
Agree about Sedona  Actions...
Posted: by tigsw_tigsw on Wed. 7 Dec., 2011 at 9:32:59 PM
and all of Arizona for sure.

MUSKOKA IS THE NAME NOT THE MUSKOKAS

see facebook page 

If everyone walked on the right hand side when in a crowd you would not bump into each other.                               

█ ♥ █ C a n a d a

tigsw_tigsw
   Reply  Top
Arizona  Actions...
Posted: by Amoura on Wed. 7 Dec., 2011 at 9:38:13 PM
In reply to: tigsw_tigsw "Agree about Sedona"
We have enjoyed our time in Scottsdale.  I particularly liked our visit to Frank Lloyd's house Taliesin West and to the Arcosanti experimental town near there.

ॐ नमः शिवाय                                                    

Amoura
   Reply  Top
Costa Rica  Actions...
Posted: by Aprilsunshine on Fri. 30 Dec., 2011 at 5:19:26 PM
Those who travel alot are very lucky to have the money to do all that traveling.  I love to travel but unfortunately cannot afford all the places I would like to go. But have been lucky enough to do some traveling and in January am going to Costa Rica.  My daughter is getting married there and I am so excited for this trip.  I plan to really really enjoy this trip because it will probably many years before I will be able to go somewhere again.

Aprilsunshine
   Reply  Top
I don't pay for my holidays  Actions...
Posted: by Amoura on Fri. 30 Dec., 2011 at 5:47:18 PM
In reply to: Aprilsunshine "Costa Rica"
I get them booked through Air Miles and just pay the taxes.  So travel for me  is extremely cheap!

ॐ नमः शिवाय                                                    

Amoura
edited Fri. 30 Dec., 2011 @ 5:48:00 PM by Amoura

Reply  Top
Air Miles  Actions...
Posted: by Aprilsunshine on Fri. 30 Dec., 2011 at 6:33:02 PM
In reply to: Amoura "I don't pay for my holidays"

How do you collect all those Air Miles?  Any tips you can share?

Aprilsunshine
   Reply  Top
Sure  Actions...
Posted: by Amoura on Fri. 30 Dec., 2011 at 7:31:05 PM
In reply to: Aprilsunshine "Air Miles"
We pay for all purchases with a Gold Air Miles MasterCard.  We also make use of all the Bonus Air Miles days/coupons at Safeway, which is the only place we buy our groceries, since it is an Air Miles sponsor.  We buy our gas at Shell, another Air Miles sponsor, and we print off Air Miles coupons from the Net before we shop.

We have been doing this for years and always manage two to three holidays a year thanks to Air Miles.

ॐ नमः शिवाय                                                    

Amoura
   Reply  Top
Amoura..  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Sat. 31 Dec., 2011 at 6:09:20 PM
In reply to: Amoura "I don't pay for my holidays"
..How do you book your Airmiles vacations?  Directly through the Airmiles site or through a travel agent?  And do you generally fly Westjet or Air Canada?  And can you book your rooms, etc through Airmiles too or just your flights?  I hope I'm not being too nosy, just say so if I am.  I am asking because I have a bunch of Airmiles and have never used them, trying to accumulate enough to take a decent trip.  Now that Airmiles has imposed that 5 year restriction, we might as well start thinking about using them for whatever we can get out of them.
Thanks for any tips you can offer.

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
No problem, flowerpot  Actions...
Posted: by Amoura on Sat. 31 Dec., 2011 at 7:26:34 PM
In reply to: flowerpot "Amoura.."
Up to now, we have phoned to book, but I believe you can book on-line as well.  I prefer to speak to a real live person, LOL.   I haven't ever used a travel agent for Air Miles.

We fly West Jet usually, although to get from GP to Edmonton or Calgary, we have more luck with Air Canada, because they have more flights.

As for hotels, ask at the time of purchase.  Certain hotels and some car rental agencies are partners of Air Miles.  Lately, we have been going the all-inclusive route and so everything is included for one amount.  For instance, our Turks trip was 30,000 Air Miles for the entire trip.

Since you have never booked withAir Miles before, I would suggest phoning their 1-800 number and go from there.  I hope you and Mr. Flowerpot will have a wonderful time wherever you choose to go!

ॐ नमः शिवाय                                                    

Amoura
   Reply  Top
Thanks Amoura!  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Sat. 31 Dec., 2011 at 8:30:50 PM
In reply to: Amoura "No problem, flowerpot"
Yes I will call their 800 number and get more info.  Obviously we won't be travelling this winter.  But next winter we'll be both celebrating our 60th BDs and our 40th wedding anniversary so I think that's a good enough reason to take a holiday, lol.
I wouldn't book online either.  Like you,  I still prefer the old fashioned method of actually talking to a real live person.

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
FYI  Actions...
Posted: by Amoura on Sat. 31 Dec., 2011 at 8:35:38 PM
In reply to: flowerpot "Thanks Amoura!"
I looked on-line just to get an idea of the number of Air Miles for Cancun, as DH and I are planning a spring trip to Mexico, and for flights only, it is only about 3600 Air Miles per person, so that is a pretty good deal.

ॐ नमः शिवाय                                                    

Amoura
   Reply  Top
Air Miles  Actions...
Posted: by Aprilsunshine on Sun. 1 Jan., 2012 at 10:15:43 AM
In reply to: Amoura "No problem, flowerpot"
Thanks for the info Amoura.  I'm always interested in finding out how to get great deals these days!  My husband and I both have an air miles card but don't use it much.  Think I'm going to look into the the mastercard and check out where I can get more airmiles, use it more and get more points.  Also just joined up at Canada Samples and getting free samples and all kinds coupons for money off and free products. These days you got to find many ways to get ahead save money.  Maybe  my New Years resolution will be to collect enough points to go on a trip next winter too!

Aprilsunshine
   Reply  Top
Costa Rica  Actions...
Posted: by sueabc on Sat. 31 Dec., 2011 at 7:17:04 AM
In reply to: Aprilsunshine "Costa Rica"
Enjoy!  Where is the wedding?  Will you be traveling around?  We'll be doing some hiking, cycling, exploring and all those adventure things that CR is well known for!

Yes, we're very lucky, but we have always worked hard, avoided debt, are quite frugal and invest well.  We put a priority on traveling as a family.  I learned so much from traveling as a kid and young adult, and we love showing some of the world to our kids, who in turn have learned so much from traveling; their teachers always comment on their knowledge. 

We also pay little cash, as we use a lot of points, that we get from both saving and traveling;  each time you fly, you collect points that give you free flights, plus you can get points when you pay on a cc.  Air Miles has been mentioned, for flights and things. We tend to not use package or All Inclusive vacations much, as we prefer more traveling type of trips, but often our flights are covered by points, and hotels have lots of loyalty programs.  If not, as said, it's our priority and we save and invest well in order to do this for our family.  Enjoy Costa Rica and the wedding, and hope you post about the trip!

(p.s:  Amoura, glad to read you had a great vacation!).

sueabc
edited Sat. 31 Dec., 2011 @ 7:22:08 AM by sueabc

Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 2   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »