home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

travel
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Portland, Oregon  Actions...
Posted: by tangwystl on Mon. 11 Jun., 2012 at 10:30:46 AM
Has anyone been to Portland?  My teenage daughters and I will be going with my husband there in August--my husband is attending a conference.  We plan to rent a car for the last couple days and maybe drive to the coast.  What is there to do and see in Portland?  Have any of you been to the coast?  If so, what town would you recommend to stay?
TangwystlYing and yang

tangwystl
   Reply  Top
I've only  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Mon. 11 Jun., 2012 at 12:47:58 PM
In reply to: tangwystl "Portland, Oregon"
driven through Portland, never really stopped or stayed. I'm wondering if they have a tourism website where you can find some of this info? Driving along the Oregon Coast is beautiful & there are lots of places to stay but during the summer months, it's very busy so places may be already be booked. Several years ago we were driving through on the way back from California & every place had a 'no vacancy sign', so if you want to stay you should probably get on it. 

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. 

Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
   Reply  Top
Reply  Actions...
Posted: by Carol_cp on Mon. 11 Jun., 2012 at 3:16:00 PM
While you wait for some responses here,take a look at the official state of Oregon website.

http://traveloregon.com/

I also like to go to Frommers travel site.Lots of well-seasoned travellers there who may be able to help out.

www.frommers.com

Carol_cp
   Reply  Top
I love Oregon  Actions...
Posted: by tigsw_tigsw on Tue. 12 Jun., 2012 at 2:51:59 PM
head for the coast ....you will never want to leave. smiles

MUSKOKA IS THE NAME NOT THE MUSKOKAS

see facebook page 

If everyone walked on the right hand side when in a crowd you would not bump into each other.                               

█ ♥ █ C a n a d a

tigsw_tigsw
   Reply  Top
If you'll only have a couple of days on the Coast -  Actions...
Posted: by karen_g on Wed. 20 Jun., 2012 at 8:04:44 PM
you'll probably want to be in the north-coast area perhaps around Seaside or Cannon Beach - no further south than maybe Newport.  Of course driving down the  the coast further is very scenic but you don't want to be seeing it all from the inside of the car.  Seaside is very busy and family oriented but does have kind of a kitschy-Coney-Island atmosphere.  I too wouldn't wait any longer to make reservations - unfortunately I can't recommend much myself because we always camped.

For Portland - does your family like history?  If so, don't miss the End Of The Oregon Trail Museum - it's in one of the outlying suburbs but easy to get to by car.  You might also want to consider the Spirit Of Portland river cruise excursions - very scenic.

karen_g
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by Artemis on Mon. 9 Jul., 2012 at 6:45:46 PM

Two things I love about visiting Portland: their brewpubs/beers (some of the best craft beers in North America -- and I'm a very loyal BC beer fan!), and their food carts. If you're with your teenage daughters it might limit your ablity to to enjoy 1, but you can definitely check out 2. Portland has probably the best and most varied collection of food cart anywhere. Check out this web site for a listing and a handy map of the key locations.

Seriously, you could eat every meal while you're there off a food cart and never eat the same thing twice.

“I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. It's impossible to put down.”

Artemis
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »