home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

book club
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
WBCI - July 9  Actions...
Posted: by Artemis on Mon. 9 Jul., 2012 at 1:33:09 PM

Everyone too busy enjoying summer to read these days? Wink

I finished The Retribution the other day, which is the latest Tony Hill / Carol Jordan mystery by Val McDermid. As per most of her books, it kept me on edge with all its twists and turns til the very end -- and I had a couple of semi-sleepless nights because of it! Very intense! Not for the faint of heart, though, as this series in particular is more gruesome than most of the mysteries I like to read. I keep reading them, though, because of the great characterizations.

Now I'm a few chapters into Micro by Michael Crichton (and Richard Preston, since Crichton died before he'd finisehd it). I haven't read Crichton for years, but it's a book club pick, and makes a change of pace. And the subject matter is interesting too -- about nature vs. technology, and how much scientific advance is "too much."

“I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. It's impossible to put down.”

Artemis
   Reply  Top
Bring up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel  Actions...
Posted: by Eadie on Mon. 9 Jul., 2012 at 2:08:24 PM
In reply to: Artemis "WBCI - July 9"

This is the sequel to Wolf Hall, and the second book in Hilary Mantel's trilogy about Thomas Cromwell. The first book covered a much longer period, this one takes place entirely in the few months leading up to the death of Anne Boleyn. I really enjoyed the first one and I liked this one as well. I like her writing style and I'm looking forward to the last book in the trilogy (even though I know it doesn't end well for Cromwell!).

I was on holidays last week and I also read Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes, about an older man trying to understand the suicide of a friend fifty years earlier. This one was just ok, I read it because it got a lot of praise from the critics, but I'm just not a big fan of books that feature unreliable narrators.

I also started The Red House by Mark Haddon, but gave up about half way through. I loved The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, so I expected to enjoy this book, but it was just brutal to try to follow. It is written from the point of view of seven characters, and it changes point of view from paragraph to paragraph. Plus random quotes from books and lyrics from songs are also added into the mix for no reason that I could figure out. I found it impossible to follow, it actually gave me a headache, like reading a textbook about a subject that wasn't my strong suit.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Eadie
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by Artemis on Mon. 9 Jul., 2012 at 2:33:10 PM
In reply to: Eadie "Bring up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel"

Hmm, sorry to hear about The Red House. That one was on my list for the summer ... maybe I'll give it a pass now. I loved The Curious Incident, and quite enjoyed A Spot of Bother too. Oh well, not every one can be a winner.

BTW, I spotted that the National Theatre in London is doing a stage version of The Curious Incident, and it will be one of their "National Theatre Live" broadcasts in the Cineplex chain. September 6. Info here.

Artemis
   Reply  Top
Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel  Actions...
Posted: by Drose on Tue. 10 Jul., 2012 at 5:26:34 PM
I'm reading Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel.  It's from 2006, about a medium and her assistant.  Just started it.  Liking it so far.

Hmm, I didn't like The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time.  Felt too gimmicky to me, trying to give me insight into autism rather than telling a story.  Maybe I would like The Red House!

Drose
   Reply  Top
just bought bringing up the bodies.. so am glad  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Tue. 10 Jul., 2012 at 7:50:19 PM
to read your post.. plan on starting it any day now

Mr. Harper really doesn’t appreciate people who disagree with him and he’ll be damned if he’ll help them spread their unwelcome views.

jadeyy
   Reply  Top
Still working on my BTR list  Actions...
Posted: by Linda_Sp on Mon. 9 Jul., 2012 at 8:28:25 PM

I've had 3 very good reads from my old BTR list the past couple of weeks. 

One was "Henderson's Spear" by Ronald Wright (Canadian writer?) which was really 3 stories in one told by a woman in jail in Tahiti for murder writing letters to the daughter she'd given up at birth.  The story explains the family connections to Tahiti in the 1950's and back to 1899 when a distant relative, Frank Henderson accompanied Queen Victoria's 2 grandsons on a voyage around the world.  There were strange mysteries connecting all the different time periods.

Next book was "Downhill Chance" by Donna Morrissey which takes place in Newfoundland in the 1940's and 50's when 2 families's in a remote area are disrupted by the war and family secrets.  I really enjoy Morrissey's writing!

Now I'm reading "Seeing" by Jose Saramago who also wrote "Blindness".  His writing style is not the easiest to read--no paragraphs, quotation marks, characters' names, etc.  but I'm amazed at the genius of this story!  It takes place in the same unknown country as "Blindness" about 4 years later.  There is an election in the country and when 70% of the ballots in the capital city are left blank, another election is called for 8 days later but this time, 86% of the ballots are left blank.   The government immediately decides it's a conspiracy/terrorism/rebellion, etc.  so they over-react and declare a state of emergency.   Things just snowball from there as the government tries more and more extreme measures.  It's actually quite comical and makes me think of the old movie, "Dr, Strangelove or How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb" with Peter Sellers. 

Linda_Sp
   Reply  Top
New book from Vincent Lam  Actions...
Posted: by Frida, on Tue. 10 Jul., 2012 at 10:33:12 AM
I really enjoyed his Giller Prize winner,  "Blood Letting and Other Miraculous Cures", so have decided to give his new novel, "The Headmaster's Wager" a try.  This book is very different from Bloodletting.  It's a book that draws on his family's history to some extent, but is not a biography.  From Lam's website; ( Lam's Website )

Percival Chen is the headmaster of the most respected English school in Saigon. He is also a bon vivant, a compulsive gambler and an incorrigible womanizer. He is well accustomed to bribing forever changing lists of government officials in order to maintain the elite status of the Chen Academy. He is fiercely proud of his Chinese heritage, and quick to spot the business opportunities rife in a divided country. He devotedly ignores all news of the fighting that swirls around him, choosing instead to read the faces of his opponents at high-stakes mahjong tables. But when his only son gets in trouble with the Vietnamese authorities, Percival faces the limits of his connections and wealth and is forced to send him away. In the loneliness that follows, Percival finds solace in Jacqueline, a beautiful woman of mixed French and Vietnamese heritage, and Laing Jai, a son born to them on the eve of the Tet offensive. Percival's new-found happiness is precarious, and as the complexities of war encroach further and further into his world, he must confront the tragedy of all he has refused to see.

Frida,
   Reply  Top
reading  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Tue. 10 Jul., 2012 at 10:44:24 AM
The Help.

Trying to finish Night Circus on my Kobo as well, not my kind of book I guess. 

My daughter loaned me some Nicholas Sparks so maybe my next read. 

Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
   Reply  Top
Koda - I read the 'Night Circus'...  Actions...
Posted: by Smokewood on Thu. 12 Jul., 2012 at 12:20:49 PM
In reply to: Koda "reading"
I was surprised that I liked it. Read some of Nicholas Sparks (the one with the brother) and it was good too.

"Smoke-gets-in-your-EYES"

Smokewood
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by Artemis on Thu. 12 Jul., 2012 at 1:38:07 PM
In reply to: Smokewood "Koda - I read the 'Night Circus'..."
The Night Circus was hands down my favourite read last year. But it's definitely not a book for everyone!

Artemis
   Reply  Top
Finally!  Actions...
Posted: by Eadie on Sat. 14 Jul., 2012 at 1:56:24 PM
In reply to: Koda "reading"
Someone else who didn't like Night Circus! I felt like I must be missing something, everyone who reads this book seems to love it, but I really didn't enjoy it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Eadie
   Reply  Top
just started Magnified World  Actions...
Posted: by vibrantgirl on Tue. 10 Jul., 2012 at 9:05:14 PM
by Grace O'Connell and am already intrigued and delighted--she's got a wonderful way with descriptions, such as: 
the streetcar "going by behind me in a baritone of metal complaints"
"I was like a sailor obsessed with the weather, with the slightest change in the wind or clouds, always watching"
"He was teaching courses while he worked on his Ph.D. and was constantly swamped by pages and pages of faulty reasoning and hasty research" (this made me laugh)
"Toronto as a city celebrated good weather like a civic holiday, the first hot days of the year getting everything but a parade"

The story is about a young woman whose mother has recently committed suicide, and she herself starts having blackouts and not remembering hours of her life.  It is set in Toronto, with a lot of local references, and surprisingly, isn't depressing or morbid, despite the theme of death.

vibrantgirl
   Reply  Top
Trilogy SC is finished  Actions...
Posted: by Kim_Kim1 on Wed. 11 Jul., 2012 at 7:26:04 PM
The trilogy is over -- I just finished The MockingJay. That was a wild ride of a good read! Just wondering when the next movie will be out....Suzanne Collins has written with such visual impact for both characters and action that I was anticipating scenes during this last book.  We have been struggling with windstorms, thunderstorms,  blackouts [no worries with my e-reader] and now a heat wave, so this was a an easy, yet engaging book to take me through it all. 

Kim_Kim1
   Reply  Top
Kim_Kim 1-I finished 'Catching Fire'...  Actions...
Posted: by Smokewood on Thu. 12 Jul., 2012 at 12:24:46 PM
In reply to: Kim_Kim1 "Trilogy SC is finished"
This is the 2nd book and film is supposed to be out late 2013. Not going to read 'Mocking Jay' yet - so long before that movie is out - I will forget what it is about.

"Smoke-gets-in-your-EYES"

Smokewood
   Reply  Top
...  Actions...
Posted: by Artemis on Thu. 12 Jul., 2012 at 1:36:44 PM
In reply to: Smokewood "Kim_Kim 1-I finished 'Catching Fire'..."

I'd advise going ahead and reading Mockingjay, Smokewood. They're actually going to split the final movie into 2 parts (like they did with the final Harry Potter film), so it will be a very long time before it's all done. I actually found Mockinjay seriously flawed in a lot of ways, and I'm hoping the movie(s) will smooth out some of the plot speedbumps. Wink

But then I actually prefer to have a break between book and movie anyway -- allows me to distance myself from the original material and better enjoy the movie for its own sake.

Artemis
   Reply  Top
Thanks Smokewood  Actions...
Posted: by Kim_Kim1 on Sat. 14 Jul., 2012 at 1:26:56 PM
In reply to: Smokewood "Kim_Kim 1-I finished 'Catching Fire'..."
Glad to hear the anticipated date for next movie. I actually think the last two books could be made into one movie, but do understand the readership following and marketing value of making a series.  I'm 'game' for it. Oh Smokewood, you are a disciplined reader to wait on reading MockingJay. I'm too curious to wait.  I remember being quite frustrated at the loooooong time, years, between Jean M. Auel's Earth Children installments!

Kim_Kim1
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »