home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

wheels
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
parking lot accident  Actions...
Posted: by alana10 on Tue. 29 May., 2012 at 7:46:57 AM
two of us collided into each other backing up from a parking lot  - ontario.
Does each individual pay for their own repairs - paint job only. Other person says I was at fault. I say the opposite We exchange names etc.. No one was hurt and  a colleague told me each person is responsible for their own repairs. Is this the case?

alana10
   Reply  Top
did you  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Tue. 29 May., 2012 at 10:03:58 AM
In reply to: alana10 "parking lot accident"
call your insurance agent & make a claim, usually they decide who is at fault with all the facts they collect. I'm not sure how it works in Ontario, but that's what happens here in BC. I just had an incident in December where the person said they didn't do it, I made a claim, they checked out the damage to both vehicles. A little different as I was parked & he backed into my bumper & did some damage with his trailer hitch. 

Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
   Reply  Top
......  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Tue. 29 May., 2012 at 8:23:19 PM
I believe the rules of the road that if you are backing up you are at fault. Since the other driver backed up at the same time ( both cars in motion?) you are both at fault.  I'd bet your insurance would find it 50/50.  If the cars hit back bumpers than the drivers didn't do proper shoulder checks.
Off topic a bit- this is the #1 reason we always back into any parking spot, including our own stall at home. It makes leaving so much safer since you can see everything. I wish more people would park like this- we see so many almost hits from this exact scenario. 

Something to check:  I can assure you there are very few parking lot accidents in which both drivers admit they were backing. Your insurance company would have to complete an investigation to gather facts and determine if they have enough evidence to support either driver's version of the accident. An independent eyewitness (NOT a passenger in either of the vehicles) can usually clear things up quickly. Also check with the store where the accident happened and verify if they have videotape of the parking lot. Many do and liability can easily be determined with a video of the accident. 

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_is_liable_when_two_cars_back_into_each_other_in_a_store_parking_lot#ixzz1wJ9VjEOy

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
I understand insurance is null and void  Actions...
Posted: by tigsw_tigsw on Tue. 29 May., 2012 at 11:30:01 PM
in a parking lot.

I was involved in a shopping cart battle..due to the wind I got hit from three sides at the same time by shopping carts. No insurance covers that for various reasons. .I did get a fair dent in the trunk...it was sort of funny..I saw it was going to happen but how many sides of the car can one person get to.

MUSKOKA IS THE NAME NOT THE MUSKOKAS

see facebook page 

If everyone walked on the right hand side when in a crowd you would not bump into each other.                               

█ ♥ █ C a n a d a

tigsw_tigsw
   Reply  Top
not in BC  Actions...
Posted: by green_sleeves on Wed. 30 May., 2012 at 1:39:33 AM
In reply to: tigsw_tigsw "I understand insurance is null and void"
whether we are hit by a car, big person or shopping cart..if the damage is enough to put in a claim ICBC follows though if you have the coverage.
Copied:

Comprehensive auto insurance can cover things like flood damage, theft damage, fire damage, attack by dragon, ballistic missile attack, tiger mauling, and other general acts of god. It will even cover you if a tornado decides to pick a fight with your Ford F-150 and winds up depositing it on the roof of the local Target. Comprehensive, as the title implies, covers all damage that can happen to your car outside of a "collision." Collision coverage helps when you hit a tree, a person, another car or accidentally drive into the side of your Aunt Martha's condominium complex.

No need to explain: your friends don't require it and your enemies won't believe you anyway.Grin

green_sleeves
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »