home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

work
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Volunteer work while unemployed  Actions...
Posted: by abuela on Tue. 3 Jul., 2012 at 2:29:32 PM
My husband and I are unfortunately looking for work (almost a year now) and we are thinking of volunteering (while we continue to search).  I called my doctor's office and the fee for a TB test (2 step required for the place we are applying at) is $50 each time, at a cost of $200 for the both of us. 

It's a bit steep considering our financial situation right now.

Has anyone obtained the test?  We sent emails to the volunteer coordinators asking for further info, but I can only hope the test is required if/when we are accepted, and not before?  We wouldn't want to take the test unless we know we have been accepted.

abuela
   Reply  Top
I've had several TB tests over my lifetime  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Tue. 3 Jul., 2012 at 9:28:16 PM
In reply to: abuela "Volunteer work while unemployed"
and I don't recall ever having to pay for one.  I don't know what province you're in but if you're in Ontario, why not try calling Public Health to see if they can be of any help.  I know many workers need to have a TB test to be cleared to work (food handlers, for example) and I don't think they have to pay.

Marsha
   Reply  Top
Reply  Actions...
Posted: by Carol_cp on Wed. 4 Jul., 2012 at 3:59:25 AM
Info here and a toll free number to OHIP

http://www.toronto.ca/health/tb_prevention/faq.htm

Carol_cp
   Reply  Top
@Marsha & Carol  Actions...
Posted: by abuela on Sat. 7 Jul., 2012 at 9:16:37 AM
In reply to: Carol_cp "Reply"
Marsha ~ I'm in Ontario.  Thanks for your info.

Carole ~ thanks for the link, I called and they confirmed what my family doctor's secretary said, I would have to pay the cost.  I'll continue to look at other volunteer jobs as well, not all of them require a TB test, such as working in admin.

abuela
   Reply  Top
thoughts  Actions...
Posted: by ABmom99 on Mon. 9 Jul., 2012 at 1:02:12 AM

1.  What about going through a public health unit? (do you have them in Ontario? - in Alberta a public health unit is the place you go for baby & child vaccinations or shots you may have before you go somewhere tropical - travel shots, or where home care may be based - public health nurses who go to people's homes for assistance, or where speech therapy may be set up for kids who need it, or pre-natal classes etc).  This is where I'd look first for the TB test in Alberta as detecting diseases that can be contagious is a public health issue.

2.  If there's a particular volunteer agency that really wants your assistance - could they possibly cover the costs for your volunteer work - the TB test or fee if you have to pay for a police criminal background check?  I wouldn't expect the volunteer agency to pay other costs - ie bussing or lunches - but if the TB test or other background checks are requirements it may be worth their while to help out the volunteers some.  Ask - the worst they can say is 'no' - but if they'll cover those costs, its win-win for them and you!

ABmom99
   Reply  Top
@ABmom99  Actions...
Posted: by Carol_cp on Mon. 9 Jul., 2012 at 6:45:55 AM
In reply to: ABmom99 "thoughts"
The public health unit in Toronto does not do them for free.

Gosh,I can't imagine a volunteer agency would have the resources to pay for the tests.

http://www.toronto.ca/health/tb_prevention/faq.htm

Carol_cp
   Reply  Top
well........  Actions...
Posted: by ABmom99 on Tue. 10 Jul., 2012 at 1:51:16 AM
In reply to: Carol_cp "@ABmom99"

if this volunteer position is demanding expensive qualifications, I would gander a guess that they also do a lot of fundraising.... if the organisation wants to attract volunteers, I would think they can't go on the 'cheap' and expect unpaid volunteers to not only give of their time and expertise - but also pay for expensive background (police) checks and medical tests.  I've never heard of anyone requiring a TB test for volunteer 'staff' - so I'm guessing this particular group is working with medical patients (ie a nursing home? or other facility?) - By expecting volunteers to give on several levels (time, qualifications, funds) I would think that will discourage & turn off some potential excellent help.  By helping to cover some of the costs of volunteers - that's really part of the cost of some charities -- otherwise volunteering would be limited to the wealthy - eliminating those with restricted finances.

ABmom99
   Reply  Top
$$$$  Actions...
Posted: by Mary... on Mon. 9 Jul., 2012 at 6:59:22 PM
Wow, that's a ton of money to qualify to do volunteer work! I'd be looking for another volunteer opportunity, there are tons of options out there.

Mary...
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »