home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

work
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
questions during an interview  Actions...
Posted: by _temp_ on Sun. 20 Nov., 2011 at 10:46:59 AM
when the interviewer asks you if you have any questions ...

I looked online and it looks like the best thing to ask is

if it was a nice company to work
and
why do you like working here? (to the interviewer)
like the tables are turned and you are the interviewer

what do you think?

_temp_
   Reply  Top
interesting  Actions...
Posted: by ABmom99 on Sun. 20 Nov., 2011 at 10:43:53 PM
In reply to: _temp_ "questions during an interview"

question. I'm not sure I'd agree with asking 'if its a nice company to work for' or 'why do you like working here'.  I'm thinking that's a little too personal (2nd question) and almost disrespectful to ask the 1st question.  Really... for people looking for jobs & going through interview process - to ask 'are you good to work for'?????

Questions I'd ask:  Ask for a little more definition of the job they're interviewing you for - specifics, show some interest in the job and company you're looking at. I wonder if we've read same article... you don't ask the 'greed' questions such as pay & perks - that's part of negotiations.  You could ask though about potential professional development (do they send staff on training courses? or is there potential for advancement with you doing studying on your own time with evening courses?)  Maybe ask where does the company see itself in 3 or 5 years - international expansion?  opening stores/offices in other parts of Canada?  Private or public ownership? New product lines? hierarchy/organisation of company?

ABmom99
   Reply  Top
Question I always ask  Actions...
Posted: by Gloria on Fri. 15 Jun., 2012 at 11:11:45 PM

What training do you have?  How long will it take to learn the job?  What is the probation period?  

When I was being interviewed as a bank teller, I was told that it would take at least a year to learn the job. 

I was there 2 years, and I learned something new every day.  Tough job though, I could never go back to that job.

Change your opinions, keep to your principles
                     Change your leaves, keep intact your roots

Gloria
   Reply  Top
questions  Actions...
Posted: by Mary... on Sun. 17 Jun., 2012 at 9:11:25 AM
The interview should also be an opportunity for the candidate to gather information to see if it is a company that they would want to work for and if it is a good role from them. Therefore, the questions should be to gather whatever information that is important to you to determine such. I don't think there are right or wrong questions, I think it depends on the individual. It's just best if the questions are directed to that fit, company and role responsibilities.

Mary...
   Reply  Top
one of the strangest questions asked  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Mon. 2 Jul., 2012 at 10:34:09 PM

of my daughter when she was being interviewed for a job at a fabric store was "would you be willing to undergo a physical examination"?

What kind of crazy question is that?

When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. ― Bob Dylan

The poster formerly known as plexy (stolen from Jack Johnson)  and before that known as sexyplexy (nickname just for fun!)  ;)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
I would not  Actions...
Posted: by HomecomingQueen on Sun. 15 Jul., 2012 at 7:35:12 PM
ask, "why do you like working here?" It is not a power game (turning the tables) but an interview. 

HomecomingQueen
   Reply  Top
Questions to ask  Actions...
Posted: by Ready2Fly on Fri. 20 Jul., 2012 at 8:15:55 AM
In reply to: HomecomingQueen "I would not"

Workin in HR I agree with pretty much everything everyone has said.

I would also ask what the turnover has been for this position- might indicate a problem with the position or with management. Or why the incumbent is leaving the position- was it because of promotion, terminiation, retirement, resignation?

I would also ask to see at a later date the entire company (or at a very least your work unit) so you can get a sense of what they do and how they do it. I once worked as a recruiter where we interviewed in these beautiful offices and then you worked at work stations with chairs literally duct taped togther! Realisitic job previews cut down turnover for the company and prevent you from taking a job you would hate. Sometimes you walk in to meet the new co-workers and they are angry because they thought "Bob" should get the job. While you can work around that- do you want to if they are a tight clique you might be on the outside.

I just did a youtube video on top 10 interview tips because most people know the big things but little things like planning 2.5 times the amount of time the interview is scheduled for is not somehting most people think of or do!

Ready2Fly
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »