home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

work
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
I have 2 job offers (after 1 year)!  Actions...
Posted: by abuela on Fri. 20 Jul., 2012 at 7:51:44 AM

Hi everyone,

It has been a very stressful year; both my husband and I were unemployed as well as facing personal and family problems.  Now, after 1 year, I have received a job offer (and hope something will come up soon for hubby). 

I don’t mean to sound ungrateful, but I don’t know why I’m not more excited?  Perhaps it’s a delayed reaction? 

I am experiencing a great deal of anxiety.  The job doesn’t start until early August, so I do have to dust off my work clothes, get my household in order, and start going to bed early, so I can train myself to get up even earlier.  I was already doing this as I treated each day as if it were a work day, spending just as much time on my job search, networking, and attending workshops and brushing up on MS Office.

I think after being home for so long, I’m now feeling very nervous. I don’t even know if this sounds normal, but I got used to being home, as awful as that sounds! 

I do know it’s normal to go through a learning curve in a new job, but I doubt my skills.  My employment consultant told me to just think back to all my accomplishments, and the fact that the company chose me.

The economy is in rough shape, and I’ve seen first-hand how many unemployed people are out there, trying desperately to find a job.  Each week I attended networking sessions, I would see new people - new unemployed people, so I also wanted to wish everyone good luck, and just know that your time will come as well.  I never thought mine would, yet it did.

I would also love to receive some tips on how to get back into work mode. 

abuela
edited Mon. 23 Jul., 2012 @ 5:43:25 PM by abuela

Reply  Top
Congratulations!  Actions...
Posted: by Mary... on Fri. 20 Jul., 2012 at 8:52:04 AM
In reply to: abuela "I have 2 job offers (after 1 year)!"

First and foremost, congratulations! Please do celebrate your new job!!

The way you are feeling makes perfect sense to me! Sounds like a very natural reaction, maybe a bit of a: finally, oh dear now I have to change all these comforts I've settled into. That would be my reaction too!

I would not worry about doing everything before you start. Remember that it's probably your great personality that tipped their decision, so as long as you show up with that you're good. You just need enough outfits for that first week, then you can sort out the rest later. In fact, you might want to get a feel for how they dress there. You'll get the hang of the computer programs quick enough, don't worry yourself about that, it's the easy part. 

So allow yourself to be happy about your new job, and you'll get a bit more exited as the start day nears. They're lucky to have you!

Mary...
   Reply  Top
Hi Mary  Actions...
Posted: by abuela on Mon. 23 Jul., 2012 at 5:50:09 PM
In reply to: Mary... "Congratulations!"

Your reply made so much sense, and I don’t feel so weird now! 

I took your advice and didn’t worry too much about my limited wardrobe.  I bought a few really dressy tank tops that I could pair with a short cardigan.  I can add on more, once I get paid, and as you said when I see what others are wearing.

I spoke to my consultant again, and she told me it was normal to feel nervous and anxious and it shows that I care.  She said she always receives calls from newly employed people who doubt their skills.  It’s called “Imposter Syndrome.”  You feel like you tricked them into the job, now you have it, but you don’t think you can do it!”

I remember it took me 3 months in my last job before I felt totally comfortable, so I have to stop being so hard on myself and accept there will be a learning curve.

Thanks again!!

P.S.  I edited the title because yes, I received 2 job offers!  I'm in the process of listing pros/cons before I decide.  What an enormous blessing, especially in this economy!

abuela
   Reply  Top
Congrats again!  Actions...
Posted: by Mary... on Sat. 28 Jul., 2012 at 8:54:47 AM
In reply to: abuela "Hi Mary"

Two job offers, how cool!! Sometimes, it never rains it pours, in a good way!

I think your last experience of 3 months before feeling grounded is a pretty normal learning curve. Sometimes were a bit hard on ourselves but I don't think you have reason to be. Quite the opposite. This company will be very lucky to have you! Best wishes, let us know how you're making out.

Mary...
   Reply  Top
Hi Mary  Actions...
Posted: by abuela on Sun. 29 Jul., 2012 at 5:47:07 PM
In reply to: Mary... "Congrats again!"
Thanks so much!  Your encouragement is comforting; I really appreciate it!!  Thanks also for your kind words!  I do feel very blessed and grateful Grin

abuela
   Reply  Top
congratulaions so much...this is great news...  Actions...
Posted: by jadeyy on Sun. 22 Jul., 2012 at 5:53:10 AM
at one point in my working careers, i had retired from one job and there was a gap of about a year before I started back to work.. all I can remember is that it was a lot easier to get back into the worklife than I thought it would be... i am sure that with your work ethic, you will have no issues... congratulations again

Mr. Harper really doesn’t appreciate people who disagree with him and he’ll be damned if he’ll help them spread their unwelcome views.

jadeyy
   Reply  Top
@jadeyy  Actions...
Posted: by abuela on Mon. 23 Jul., 2012 at 7:19:53 PM
In reply to: jadeyy "congratulaions so much...this is great news..."

Thanks for sharing your experience with me.  It’s great to know that we have the ability to get back into a routine, even after one year!

I appreciate your reply and kind words!

abuela
   Reply  Top
That's wonderful.  Actions...
Posted: by Freebird2 on Sun. 22 Jul., 2012 at 4:36:48 PM

You must feel so relieved. 

You'll fall back into the routine before you even know it. When you get nervous, just keep in mind what Woody Allen said, "Eighty percent of success is showing up", and IMO he was right on the mark when he said that.  

Freebird2
   Reply  Top
Hi Freebird2  Actions...
Posted: by abuela on Mon. 23 Jul., 2012 at 7:21:55 PM
In reply to: Freebird2 "That's wonderful."

Yes, I am so relieved, interviewing is not fun, nor is wearing a suit when it’s 40-F! 

That’s a great quote, thank you so much!

abuela
   Reply  Top
Have you decided?  Actions...
Posted: by linds123 on Wed. 25 Jul., 2012 at 7:47:13 AM
Have you accepted one of the offers yet? If not, when do you have to decide?.
Well done on getting a choice of jobs, and I'm sure it will be stressful, especially having to go back to work in the middle of the summer.  As you say, you've been in sort-of-work mode anyway, taking job searching as a job itself.

In some ways, you're lucky that your husband is home, and while he's obviously out looking for a job or networking most days, presumably he still has some time to do things around the house that wouldn't get done if you were both working.  Always an upside!
Why type of job did you get/will accept?

linds123
   Reply  Top
Hi linds123  Actions...
Posted: by abuela on Sun. 29 Jul., 2012 at 5:49:05 PM
In reply to: linds123 "Have you decided?"
Yes, I made a final decision already and will start in a few weeks.  DH will be doing the cooking so one less thing to worry about when I get home! 

I'm slowly getting up earlier by 15 minutes each morning! 

Thanks for your reply!

abuela
   Reply  Top
Abuela, don't worry - if you're like me  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Sun. 29 Jul., 2012 at 6:24:43 PM
In reply to: abuela "Hi linds123"
and perhaps like most of us, the night before your new job,  you'll be up half the night with nerves of excitement and nervousness (What if I sleep through the alarm? What if it's pouring rain? What if there's a traffic jam and I'm late for my first day?).  

As so many others have said, what  you are going through is so normal, even when someone hasn't had a period of unemployment.  Returning to the workforce after an absence makes it an even more "nervous-making" prospect but you will be terrific!

Marsha
   Reply  Top
Hi Marsha  Actions...
Posted: by abuela on Sun. 29 Jul., 2012 at 8:37:12 PM
In reply to: Marsha "Abuela, don't worry - if you're like me"
Hi Marsha,

Just reading the replies I've received helps so much! My doctor gave me a prescription for Lorazepam for when I need it (I use it very sparingly), but I will take one the night before so that I'll be alert and refreshed at least on my first day!  I have insomnia!  I have 2 alarm clocks to be on the safe side, and I drove to my new workplace in rush hour traffic to get a sense of how long it takes in real time. 

I keep thinking I'm being such a baby (at my age), but reading that I'm normal makes me feel .... normal!!

Thanks so much for your reply!

abuela
   Reply  Top
I like that...  Actions...
Posted: by TheCoho on Mon. 30 Jul., 2012 at 4:40:22 PM

"the company chose YOU"! Congratulations!

I also think it's quite normal to feel nervous about your new job in this very uncertain working environment. I was unemployed (that can be very demoralizing as you know) for 9 months through 2009 and when I finally landed my current job after 4 intensive interviews I thought that there had to be better than me out there and that perhaps my employer had made a mistake.

And yes...your consultant is right about remembering to remember your accomplishments too. You've succeeded at other jobs and you will succeed at this one.

All the best and please let us know how it is going.

ETA: Like you, I also pretended I was going to work each day even when I had no temporary assignment to get up for. You could get back into the work week routine by making a lunch the night before and heading to bed earlier so as to rest more. I tend to leave household chores and errands until the weekends so that after work becomes what they call "down time", e.g. I'll read, listen to music or watch a movie with some knitting after dinner, take a bubble bath, give myself a pedicure or some other stress free activity.

Coho salmon are prized for their excellent fighting abilities and acrobatics

TheCoho
edited Mon. 30 Jul., 2012 @ 4:48:37 PM by TheCoho

Reply  Top
Hi TheCoho  Actions...
Posted: by abuela on Sat. 4 Aug., 2012 at 2:16:21 PM
In reply to: TheCoho "I like that..."
Thanks for your well wishes. I'm glad that you were able to find employment when you were laid off in 2009.  It's really tough out there.  I know of people who have been out of work for almost 2 years. 

I like your after work activities!

abuela
   Reply  Top
Congratulations!!  Actions...
Posted: by flowerpot on Thu. 2 Aug., 2012 at 1:36:31 PM
How exciting and relieving it must be.  I can see the nerves are kicking in.  Once you get back in the routine and get started at your new job, you'll settle down and settle in.
Good luck!

flowerpot
   Reply  Top
Hello flowerpot  Actions...
Posted: by abuela on Sat. 4 Aug., 2012 at 2:18:07 PM
In reply to: flowerpot "Congratulations!!"
Yes, still feeling quite nervous.  I've been taking adaptogenic herbs and hope they kick in soon!  Thanks for your reply!

abuela
   Reply  Top
Do more than think baout your accomplishments  Actions...
Posted: by Ready2Fly on Sun. 5 Aug., 2012 at 8:39:07 PM
In reply to: abuela "Hello flowerpot"

I run a career consulting company and you should do more than think about your accomplishments, you should write out a chronological history of what you have done since you left high school. It is not an easy task but it will get you to remember all the things you have lived through and come out on the other end. Include family, work, travel, friends.

So it might look like this..

1974 Leave home and get my first apartment. Earn minimum wage. Meet my best friend Sandy.

1975 Got a 10 cent raise and remember being excited. Start attending college for an admin diploma. Sandy and I travel to Toronto and see the fireworks at the lakeshore.

All the way up to today. When you look back at it you will relaize you have a full life with ups and downs and you have a lot to offer. It is deeply personal so you may wish to keep it somewhere where others won't see it unless you are ready.

Good luck with the job.

Ready2Fly
   Reply  Top
@Ready2Fly  Actions...
Posted: by abuela on Sun. 26 Aug., 2012 at 10:40:43 AM
In reply to: Ready2Fly "Do more than think baout your accomplishments"
Great advice, thank you so much.

abuela
   Reply  Top
Congrats!  Actions...
Posted: by unrehearsed on Thu. 30 Aug., 2012 at 9:42:36 AM

I've been there, unemployed, and got used to staying at home. It was hard to get motivated.  Even now being in a permanent job for a year I still feel the urge to fall back into my stay at home mode.

Try not to think about how bad the economy is and how many people are looking for work.  You'll shine if you come across as positive despite setbacks. 

You're doing all the right things so it can only get better.

Best wishes to you!

Life, what is it but a dream? ~ Lewis Carroll 

unrehearsed
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »