home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

work
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
How close are you with your coworkers?  Actions...
Posted: by Chatelaine_Team on Fri. 10 Aug., 2012 at 11:13:34 AM
Are you friends with your coworkers outside of work?

Chatelaine_Team
   Reply  Top
Mine is a bit of a funny situation...  Actions...
Posted: by Marsha on Fri. 10 Aug., 2012 at 12:14:09 PM
In reply to: Chatelaine_Team "How close are you with your coworkers?"
because I'm a substitute teacher, I work at several different locations but I am very close with quite a few co-workers at one of my "regular" schools and somewhat friendly with a few teachers and one v.p. at another school.  But the people at the school where I teach most often have become really good friends; we socialize outside of work, call one another, visit back and forth.  They are pretty exceptional women - all of them very forthright - and I really value them as colleagues and as friends.

Marsha
   Reply  Top
absolutely!  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Fri. 10 Aug., 2012 at 12:49:11 PM

I enjoy my coworkers and a few of us have become very close.  We also have a book club that meets every 6 weeks or so and this has given me an opportunity to get to know several more women on a closer basis.

When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. ― Bob Dylan

The poster formerly known as plexy (stolen from Jack Johnson)  and before that known as sexyplexy (nickname just for fun!)  ;)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
great bunch  Actions...
Posted: by frenchroast on Fri. 10 Aug., 2012 at 3:36:31 PM
Most of my peers are male, and we are quite a close group.  We respect each other, know a lot about each others' families and hobbies, and often meet up outside of work.  We have several work things that end up in a social environment, travel etc.   Obviously some people are more friendly with some people than others, but we respect each other, which I think is huge. 

frenchroast
   Reply  Top
They are good friends  Actions...
Posted: by Pookie3 on Mon. 13 Aug., 2012 at 3:02:25 PM
I have become very good friends with several co-workers.  We are mostly women and have gone through life's challenges together over the past couple decades. Some have gone onto other careers and a few of us, including me, are now retired. The original gang still keeps in touch and meets every now and then for coffee.  I don't know what I would have done without them.

Pookie3
   Reply  Top
Yes  Actions...
Posted: by Nox on Wed. 15 Aug., 2012 at 1:25:27 AM
We go through some things that people would never believe we could go through together at work, so that can build some strong ties.  Several were good friends with me for years after they have left my work place as well.  I still get together with one of my girlfriends even though she left my work place 10 years or so ago.  The ones I work with now, it is hard at times to get together due to conflicting schedules, and personal obligations, but we do try together outside of work for dinners, movies, or for breakfast or drinks after work.  It's great to be able to have some downtime together, and sometimes we can laugh about things that have happened at work, or decompress.
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
                                                                                      George Carlin

Nox
   Reply  Top
nope  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Fri. 17 Aug., 2012 at 9:58:56 AM
never been close friends with my coworkers outside of work. My last job was seasonal & fast paced, so many different faces every year. Although I do keep in touch with a couple of people through FB & we've had lunch a few times but that's about it.

Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »