home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

Money Mavens
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Let's talk mortgages...  Actions...
Posted: by TheCoho on Sat. 21 Apr., 2012 at 12:17:56 PM
I am re-financing and  so reading all I can find  and listening to anyone who will talk in order to end up with the best possible deal.

Not having heard a word from my bank (current mortgage holder), I decided to start shopping around and made an appointment with a broker recommended by my former realty company. The day before the appointment with the broker, I arrived home to find a form letter (!) from my bank telling me that I was such a valued customer that they were going to make me a special offer since it was time for me to renew my mortgage soon and they proposed a rate of 3.29% over 5 years.

The next afternoon following my mortgage broker meeting, I had a proposal of 3.24% over 5 years.

Yesterday I finally managed to speak with my bank and asked them to better 3.24%. They will get back to me on Monday.

So now I am wondering how low I can expect to go in this "battle for business" before I lock in.

Does anybody care to share their experiences?

Coho salmon are prized for their excellent fighting abilities and acrobatics

TheCoho
   Reply  Top
We refinanced in late February  Actions...
Posted: by Barb/to on Sat. 21 Apr., 2012 at 1:14:37 PM
In reply to: TheCoho "Let's talk mortgages..."

Until then we had an adjustable mortgage with FirstLine. Based on the recommendation of our mortgage broker we renewed with FirstLine with a 2.79% 1 year convertible.

If you don’t already subscribe, you may be interested in signing up for the daily emails that this site sends out:

Canadian Mortgage Trends

Barb/to
   Reply  Top
get the whole picture  Actions...
Posted: by rusel on Sat. 21 Apr., 2012 at 1:45:41 PM
As well as the mortgage rate, make sure you find out if there are any penalties.  If you sell or for any other reason want to pay it off sooner, will there be penalties?  Is there an administration fee for setting up this mortgage?
Can you pay every second week rather than twice a month (two extra payments a year, therefore making you pay it off sooner). 
Can you make extra payments or lump sum payments that come off the principal?  How often?  I got the last mortgage paid off by making extra lump sum payments whenever I had extra cash.  Since the extra payments came off the principal, it really reduced the amount of interest.   Great way to get your debt paid off sooner.

rusel
edited Sat. 21 Apr., 2012 @ 1:47:21 PM by rusel

Reply  Top
yes compare  Actions...
Posted: by itsmeagain on Sat. 21 Apr., 2012 at 3:09:51 PM

You need to compare the small print of both mortgages.

We did the same thing as you did, approached our bank that had our mortgage and were not happy with the rate so we approached a broker.  Broker was able to get a better rate from our bank than we were.  We went back to the bank and they wouldn't budge, hopefully you do better.  We ended up moving our mortgage to a new fiancial institution.

Please forgive the typos . . . spell check doesn't seem to work for me!

itsmeagain
   Reply  Top
Reply  Actions...
Posted: by Carol_cp on Sun. 22 Apr., 2012 at 9:48:23 AM
All lending institutions are flush with money to lend out on mortgages right now.The real estate market is still strong in many areas of the country and since the values are holding,they are hungry.The top banks are getting tougher on some "less qualified" borrowers but there are plenty of other sources for those people to go to other than the big banks.

If you are happy with the bank that you do business with now,then keep pressuring them.

Mortgage brokers are definitely a good source but you do need to check the fine print of the mortgage such as the different fees involved to complete the mortgage paperwork and also the actual terms of the mortgage and any penalties that may be involved down the road.

Carol_cp
   Reply  Top
I would suggest you look into variable rates as well  Actions...
Posted: by Bols on Sat. 12 May., 2012 at 10:34:07 AM
I regret that I went against my gut in the fall and renewed my closed 5 yr mortgage, I should have gone with a variable - I really regret this decision.

Bols
   Reply  Top
Don't be too hard on yourself Bols  Actions...
Posted: by Birdle on Sat. 16 Jun., 2012 at 8:35:01 PM
In reply to: Bols "I would suggest you look into variable rates as well"
It could have gone the other way.   I'm old enough to remember a mortgage we had in the seventies.  When it came up for renewal, we went for a variable.  That went from 6% to 22% in no time flat in 1980.  Scary.

Birdle
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »