home » community » discussion forums

COMMUNITY UPDATE: Please note that as of January 1, 2014 at 1 a.m. EST these forums will no longer be supported. We encourage you to start saving any of the content you would like to keep on your personal device(s). If you have questions regarding our decision to discontinue the forums please see our FAQ

Money Mavens
The forum has been marked as read.
The topic has been marked as read.
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Which do you rather spend money on: goods or experiences?  Actions...
Posted: by Chatelaine_Team on Fri. 20 Jul., 2012 at 1:05:32 PM
Do buying goods make you happier? Or do you prefer experienced-based purchases?

Chatelaine_Team
edited Fri. 20 Jul., 2012 @ 1:06:33 PM by Chatelaine_Team

Reply  Top
Definitely Experiences  Actions...
Posted: by DonnaD on Tue. 7 Aug., 2012 at 9:04:54 AM
In reply to: Chatelaine_Team "Which do you rather spend money on: goods or experiences?"
I would much rather have fun and memories, time spent with the people I love, instead of things, for the most part. Especially as I get older, the experiences are priceless.

DonnaD
   Reply  Top
experiences  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Tue. 7 Aug., 2012 at 10:46:04 AM
In reply to: DonnaD "Definitely Experiences"
I agree, as I get older that becomes more important to me. Actually, when I think about it that has always been important to me. Lately I haven't been having a lot of fun, so really trying hard to get my husband to enjoy life especially now that the kids are grown up. He's always such a grump, ugh! 
Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
   Reply  Top
experiences  Actions...
Posted: by frenchroast on Wed. 8 Aug., 2012 at 6:57:19 AM
In reply to: Chatelaine_Team "Which do you rather spend money on: goods or experiences?"
Even with the kids, we spend money on experiences for them.  I'd rather they experience things in life, rather than have over priced material goods.  We spend money on activities they are interested in, doing neat courses and fun camps, and taking them to all sorts of places to travel.  They agree too, and are very grateful they've been able to have so many neat experiences.

frenchroast
   Reply  Top
Definitely experiences  Actions...
Posted: by Pufferbelly on Sun. 26 Aug., 2012 at 9:45:09 AM

I recently went on my first vacation in many, many years with my son and grandchildren.  We only went to Rhode Island and Boston, but we created so many wonderful and lasting memories.  The kids were thrilled to "swim in a real ocean", collect shells, see crabs, and see the sights and sounds of the attractions we went to.   My grandson thought the greatest thing was to "pet" the stingrays at the New England Aquarium.  Those experiences for them, and for me, will last a lifetime. 

Pufferbelly
   Reply  Top
sounds  Actions...
Posted: by Koda on Sun. 26 Aug., 2012 at 10:22:07 AM
In reply to: Pufferbelly "Definitely experiences"
like a great vacation! 
Attention is the rarest and purest form of generosity. — Simone Weil

Koda
   Reply  Top
Posted: by Bonita_again_ on Mon. 27 Aug., 2012 at 6:24:15 PM
To me travelling is very important.  I love having a chance to see other countries and lifestyles.  I tend to do without a lot of things (except yarn) so that there is trip money.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, which is why it's called present.

Bonita_again_
   Reply  Top
Experiences  Actions...
Posted: by MMV on Thu. 30 Aug., 2012 at 8:29:49 PM
The novelty of goods wears off very quickly but memories last a lifetime.

MMV
   Reply  Top
Posted: by Caipirinha on Fri. 31 Aug., 2012 at 12:58:04 PM
but I will concede that probably also has something to do with the fact that as middle-aged people we really don't need anymore stuff.

Caipirinha
   Reply  Top
Posted: by Birdle on Sat. 30 Nov., 2013 at 7:09:03 PM
Because I don't have to dust them.

Birdle
   Reply  Top
hahaha!  Actions...
Posted: by a.doll on Sat. 30 Nov., 2013 at 10:21:19 PM
In reply to: Birdle "Definitely experiences"
Good answer Birdle!

When you feel in your gut what you are and then dynamically pursue it – don’t back down and don’t give up – then you’re going to mystify a lot of folks. ― Bob Dylan

The poster formerly known as plexy (stolen from Jack Johnson)  and before that known as sexyplexy (nickname just for fun!)  ;)

a.doll
   Reply  Top
  «   Page 1 of 1   »      New Topic  Back to the Forum
Denotes unread or updated content since your last visit.
Denotes new content since your last visit.
font size »